Youth Day Ideas

• sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

I have been part a Youth Day for the last 7 years. It has kids from 6-14 and is full day of outdoor activities. It ranges from shed hunting, shooting, dog training and of course fishing. I get about 15-20 minutes with the groups.

The current plan:
    I usually have 5-6 pictures of common fish and a basic bobber set-up. 5-6 minutes
    I have three containers set up and 4 Zebco 33’s and they start casting for the tubs. 10-15 minutes (highlight to the kids)
    I have a handout of a local fishing dock that I give to the parents.
    I have very good donations from contacts that I have. Kids go home with armloads of stuff!

Heck Maybe I’m good? Any ideas to jazz up my current plan?
    Appreciate any help.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Add a fish fry? Food’s always been a good motivation for me, and my kids. rotflol

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Dont worry they get fed plenty of burgers, dogs and lots of sugar!

Ripjiggen

Maybe show them different styles of reels. I dunno sounds like you have them pretty dialed in.
    Where do I sign up. Um I mean sign my kid up.😀

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

A knot tying demo. done with larger rope so they can see better. Teach them maybe 3-4 of the most common knots.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Even though they have plenty of food. I like the idea of having some fresh fried fish to give them and their parents a taste. I’m guessing a lot of these kids have never tasted fresh fried panfish.

Dan
    Southeast MN

sand-burr I think you donating your time and what you’re teaching the kids is awesome.

Trying to think of ways to help your situation since you asked….I’ve got a 4-year-old who’s probably about as far along as a kid that age could be in regards to fishing. I think everything you’re doing is great. One thing ripjiggen mentioned was different types of reels and I’d agree with that. I never liked the closed reels they always put on kids’ poles, especially knowing he’d be using a spinning reel soon, so I started my boys on ice fishing rods with spinning reels from the beginning, and it doesn’t take long before they know to open and close the bail depending on what they need to do.

Maybe a quick explanation with a picture of how to hold a fish? Being that the fish most kids are likely to encounter is a bluegill, have a picture of one and show the spine fins and how to “comb them down” (that’s the way I explain it to my kid anyway).

Otherwise maybe a quick plug for life jackets as well, if kids in that age range are on a dock it wouldn’t hurt to encourage them to have a life jacket on, or even one there to try on.

Good work, as a parent of a young outdoorsman I’d be happy if my kid went through what you’re doing!

Deuces

I strongly disagree w a cooked fish offering. It’s some type of strong MN mindset everyone has to love fish and once exposed they will fall in love and nothing else will satisfy their pallette. Fact is many folks don’t like fish, no biggie more for us who do. Also the absolute PIA it would be to have freshly cooked fish, the possibility of food poisoning and allergies just doesn’t make the juice worth the squeeze IMO.

Leech challenge! Kids like to be tested against each other and can push some to go beyond their comfort level which can be a good thing! Tub of leeches and stick your hand in for the longest, or pick out the biggest, etc etc.

Minnow races are always fun. Setup a box and allow each child to pick their own minnow, can be individualized in Dixie cups for them to choose if they don’t want to grab them.

popcorn

If you’re looking for more presenters the local DNR offices are usually willing to help with events like this. Fisheries will sometimes come with live fish and wildlife may bring tanned hides that the kids can handle.

A fly tying and casting demo is also something most kids aren’t exposed to very often. Depending where you’re located a trout unlimited chapter may be willing to help out.

Regardless it sounds like you’ve got a pretty good handle on the event and the kids should have fun.

CaptainMusky

sand-burr I think you donating your time and what you’re teaching the kids is awesome.
    Good work, as a parent of a young outdoorsman I’d be happy if my kid went through what you’re doing!

Agreed 100%. Not enough people willing to do this anymore. Kudos!

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Wow! Thanks for the kind words!

There is so much for the kids to try to fit in that day.
    Some of the kids have heard my speech before and give me the “I’m board” look.
    Was trying to think outside the box and see if I could get more out of it.

We have a large amount of volunteers that help put this together. I wish I could invite the whole dam state but there is only so much room.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.