Wissota info from 2007 DNR forecast

• jhalfen

Here’s what the WI DNR has to say about Lake Wissota in its 2007 fishing forecast. Most of us who frequent Wissota already know the punch line: the walleye opportunities continue to improve! I was really impressed with the number of fish we caught last year that were in the protected slot, with an abundance of nice 16-17″ fish. They’ll be bigger this year!

Lake Wissota – A 2006 walleye survey documented what anglers already knew – walleyes are getting larger and there are more of them. Since inception of the 14- to 18-inch protected slot size in 1997, the walleye population has improved in all aspects. Our survey found that walleyes 18 inches and larger represent 33 percent of the fish at least 15 inches in length, compared to 16 percent in 1996 under the old 15inch minimum size limit. The adult population increased to 2.1 fish per acre with the greatest increase in the number of adult females. With elimination of the annual winter drawdown, stands of aquatic vegetation are improving and providing excellent fish habitat. With an improvement in habitat, bluegills are rebounding and providing an excellent year-round fishery. Eurasian water-milfoil, which was found in the lake in 2005, continues to spread. DNR urges boaters to remove all vegetation from their boats, motors and trailers before leaving the lake to prevent the spread of this invasive species to other area lakes. It already has been found in Holcombe Flowage.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Sure sounds like Jason will be having alot of fun. Look forward to your reports when the season starts.
    Thanks, Bill

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Sounds promising. The WI opener GTG will be my first trip to Wissota! Looking for more people to sign up.

Eric

bigpike

I personally have troubles finding the big walleyes on this lake as do alot of people that fish it regularly, but the 10-14″ eaters sure are abundant, the lake all around is a very sound fishery for SM bass, gils, crappies, walleyes, muskys, sturgeon, cats. It would be nice if the slot paid off in more slot fish for me. For me its easier catching a 40″ musky than an 18″+ walleye and I really dont try to catch ski’s on purpose…..looking forward to our gtg and meeting some folks, with the early ice out fishing should be pretty darn good a month from now!

jhalfen

Bill, those 18″+ fish aren’t super abundant but they are increasing in number. Over the past two seasons I’ve been able to average 1-2 of those nice “overs” every trip out…sometimes one or two more, sometimes none, but they are definitely becoming more frequent visitors to my boat. My big fish last season was a healthy mid 20’s fish. Nearly all of those overs that end up in my net get put back…there are just too many of the perfect, plump 13 3/4″ eaters in the system to justify putting the knife to one of the overs on a regular basis.

Don’t you hate those accidental 40″ skis? One of these days I’ll have to chase them on purpose…I sure seem to catch my share while targetting smallies and eyes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.