Why do we do daylight savings time, anyway??

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I don’t like it. I don’t really know anyone who likes it. Having it get dark at 4:50pm instead of 5:50pm is just insult to injury on what is already a long winter for most?

Why do we do it and can it be changed??

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

We’re on standard time, now. DST was last week, so if we got rid of it, it would be dark an hour earlier in the summer.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

DST is an hour ahead of the actual sun position. If we wanted things to occur an hour earlier year round… well, make them an hour earlier.

Next thing you know we’ll want to go two hours ahead. Stupid.

I want to set my clock ahead to Friday. toast

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I believe at least part of the reason why we do it is to conserve energy. You’d go to bed earlier and turn your lights on later in the evening. I think there were other reasons. Not sure how one would find out though… coffee

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I thought it started in Europe during a war. The idea was to use daylight to get work done and use less electricity, I had read this somewhere, not sure if it is true. No idea why we still follow this age old tradition….other than tradition.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I had always heard fall Daylight Savings was for the farmers, so they could get more of the harvest in earlier in the day…but 5 minutes of googling doesn’t mention that. I’m on board with getting rid of it altogether!

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Not sure that it is one of the reason but on Kare11 the other day they mentioned the kids would be going to school in the dark and sunrise would not happen until about 9:00 am as we approach the winter solstice.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I had always heard fall Daylight Savings was for the farmers, so they could get more of the harvest in earlier in the day…but 5 minutes of googling doesn’t mention that. I’m on board with getting rid of it altogether!

Except farmers don’t punch a time clock. They work when the sun is out.

I’m trying to be nice…. it hurts. twisted shock

Dan
    Southeast MN

It started with the government. And you know how that goes…first they take our daylight, next they take our guns….

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I could take it or leave it. I do like the late hour in which is stays light in the summer. Makes for more time for me to be outside after work.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Except farmers don’t punch a time clock. They work when the sun is out.

I’m trying to be nice…. it hurts.

Don’t hurt yourself! What I was told was for the Coop’s and grainery’s that they drop off at, pretty sure they punch the clock…

tangler
    Inactive

Thanks for the reminder, still haven’t set the old Timex back. No wonder my boss glared at me when I left work yesterday.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Don’t hurt yourself! What I was told was for the Coop’s and grainery’s that they drop off at, pretty sure they punch the clock…

Wouldn’t that take an hour away in the summer? The grainery or coop would close earlier in the day(light).

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Yeah it sucks. And my damNN truck went the OTHER WAY. So right now it reads 2:18. Man the headaches.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I vote we get rid of our clocks and do what our ancestors did,,,,,,,,,,,,,, work sunrise to sunset, 6 days a week. If you had animals, on the 7th day you still had chores to do.
    It would be a lot less crowded on the lake. devil

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Not sure that it is one of the reason but on Kare11 the other day they mentioned the kids would be going to school in the dark and sunrise would not happen until about 9:00 am as we approach the winter solstice.

A news station without the facts? I saw the same broadcast while flipping the channels. The last explanation I heard was to conserve energy in the morning for the corporate urbanites.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Getting light later is nice because one doesn’t have to get up so early to beat the sun on the water in the morning.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Wouldn’t that take an hour away in the summer?

Well you harvest in the fall…and this was a wives tale I had heard a long time ago that is not true…

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Tractors have headlights now!

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

It started years ago when whale oil was used for lights. Pretty much useless today as all it really does is give 9-5 workers more time to get a round of golf in after work.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Thanks for the reminder, still haven’t set the old Timex back. No wonder my boss glared at me when I left work yesterday.

We all need one of these!

Attachments:
    1. 0F042566-B128-44CF-B567-80D0FEFC8B77.png

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We voted to be on DST year round…but it’s never going to be implemented.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tangler wrote:</div>

We all need one of these!

0000! 0000! I want one, it has an indigo back lighting.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

It started years ago when whale oil was used for lights. Pretty much useless today as all it really does is give 9-5 workers more time to get a round of golf in after work.

That,s funny sh*t right there! hah doah

-J.

B-man

When Daylight Saving Time began, the majority of houses didn’t have electricity…..

Think about that for a minute.

We bitch about our live streaming sports buffering for 2 seconds in our air conditioned houses with endless hot water……

100 years ago you lit your house with lamps and candles.

It wasn’t until 1925 when about HALF of the households had electricity.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

When Daylight Saving Time began, the majority of houses didn’t have electricity…..
    Think about that for a minute.

We bitch about our live streaming sports buffering for 2 seconds……

100 years ago you lit your house with lamps and candles.

It wasn’t until 1925 when about HALF of the households had electricity.

Who cares. What I want to know is what was the Gophers record in 1925?

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

You mean back when footballs were made of pure lead?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.