Why do I need sonar?

• Chris Aker

Hello again, I hope you guys don’t get tired of my questions.
    I see lots of guys have fish finder units, and also sonar units. I’m kind of leaning towards a Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G2N, which in my limited knowledge, seems to do everything I think I would need. I may get an additional similar unit for the bow, but that would still be a Helix unit that I could tie in with the console unit. What would adding a unit that’s strictly sonar do to help me find and catch more fish? I thought the Helix unit(s) would help me find fish and identify structure. What more is there?
    I can see that there are tons of options as to what I can put on my boat to help me fish, and it’s only limited by money. But, I’m trying to figure out what plan to follow that would get me the most bang for my buck, and I’m getting overwhelmed by all of the options I can buy, because everything seems like it would be useful and a cool addition to my boat.
    I’m predominantly going to be fishing Rainy Lake, MN, but not exclusively.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

people tend to use terms interchangeably like sonar, fish finder, combo, display, etc., to mean “that expensive thing with the GPS and sonar and side imaging and down imaging on it.” the sheer number of options can be confusing, especially when companies like Humminbird sell units with various options to hit different price points. a large-screen combination unit with everything on it like the Helix you describe is very nice, and does it all pretty darn well.

that said, i’ve got a small standard-sonar-only unit mounted on the dash next to my large Helix combo display. when making long runs on big water i like to split my big screen with map/zoom map and the small sonar unit gives me a quick depth reference, plus the sonar-only units are cheap! i sometimes do the same when trolling with Map/SI or Map/SI/DI on the big screen rather than going Map/SI/Sonar and just turn on the small sonar for a quick depth visual. they run off different transducers but i haven’t run into any signal interference issues. so long-story-short, for me the extra sonar-only unit was just an inexpensive way to get some more screen real estate on my console.

catmando
    wis

I might be old school but sonar is a fish finder ,si, down image,regular,on my Hummingbirds. Unless your talking just digital sonar,which tells depths and that’s it, which is a handy tool to find edges of structure, On my boat I have Hummingbird 999 in the console, a 859, on the front, and a vexilar, front and back, which are great fish finders. I save my Marcums for winter fishing. DK.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Sonar as used in the fishing industry can be 2d sonar (either flasher display or chart display), side imaging, down imaging, 360 imaging and Garmin’s panoptics. The Helix you have selected has 2d chart display, side imaging and down imaging. That is certainly adequate for your purposes. It also has charting and mapping plus various split-screen displays. This is where a second “sonar” unit can be useful. Personally, I like to have one unit on split screen with chart and 2d sonar and my second unit on split screen with various sonar displays to view structure and hopefully fish.

Chris Aker

Thanks for the info, guys. So to make sure I got it, sonar does only depth finding, which the Helix with all of the options I listed will also do. The reason to add sonar would be so that I can use the whole screen on the Helix to see fish, contours, etc, and see the depth on the sonar screen. If that’s it, then I think I’ll skip the sonar, at least early on, because I think the 2nd Helix unit for the bow would be a more useful addition. Once I’ve been using the equipment for a while, I may choose to add sonar, but not right away. If my take is incorrect or incomplete, feel free to square me away. Thanks again.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I use a Helix 10 SI at my console to do all of my scouting and locating fish while sitting down driving, Once I find the fish, I have a simple Helix 2d sonar at the bow so I can keep tabs on depth… I’ve never been a believer in having anything else at the bow other than simple 2d sonar (Forward scanning Panoptix might change that thinking)…keeps my trolling motor clean of excess cables too….(I run a Minnkota universal transducer motor)

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Thanks for the info, guys. So to make sure I got it, sonar does only depth finding, “Sonar” is (SO)und (NA)vigation and (R)anging which was developed (I think) during WW2 by the Navy. Your Helix has 2d sonar, down imaging and side imaging. Just different ways of interpreting the sonar pulses sent and received through the transducer mounted underwater on the rear of your boat. On your screen, it displays bottom and anything between the bottom and the surface. I don’t understand what you are describing as “add sonar”. The Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G2N you have referenced is a sonar unit. Do you have another specific unit that you’ve been considering?

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Thanks for the info, guys. So to make sure I got it, sonar does only depth finding, which the Helix with all of the options I listed will also do. The reason to add sonar would be so that I can use the whole screen on the Helix to see fish, contours, etc, and see the depth on the sonar screen. If that’s it, then I think I’ll skip the sonar, at least early on, because I think the 2nd Helix unit for the bow would be a more useful addition. Once I’ve been using the equipment for a while, I may choose to add sonar, but not right away. If my take is incorrect or incomplete, feel free to square me away. Thanks again.

Sonar is standard on all depth finders cannot have any readings on the depth finder with out it. Sonar is just a word for underwater pulses that bounce off of objects, gets sent out by the transducer and the returns are read by the transducer.

Chris Aker

Great info. I think my tentative plan is to get the Helix 10 I mentioned in the initial post for the console, and adding a smaller unit to the bow. I’d like the Solix, but it’s more pricey. For a similar price, I can get a Solix, with the touch screen, or a larger screen on a Helix, but no touch screen. Which do you experienced guys find more useful, the touch screen or the larger screen. I think those are the main differences between the Helix and Solix. I think I can only afford to go to the 10 or 12 inch screen on the Helix, which may be the smallest available on the Solix.

JoeMX1825
    MN

my main issue with touch screen units is that if you’re catching fish, you’ll likely have some fish slime on your finger tips and that will get all over your nice screen. If you don’t catch fish, then it’s not a problem )

Chris Aker

Thanks Joe. I’m planning on the Helix, and your comment made that plan even more reasonable. I just found the one I want on sale for $1199, which appears to be a screaming deal. I just have to decide if that’s as good as it’s going to get, or if I should wait until the spring when they are trying to get rid of the G2N models.

Go Spuds

I have a buddy with connections–just bought the helix 10-mega-chirp-di-blah blah for $800 new-

can not wait to get it in the boat

Chris Aker

Feel free to put me in touch with your buddy. I’m going to pull the trigger on the $1199 deal within the next day or so unless something better comes along. In the $800 range would be great, and possibly allow me to add a smaller unit for the bow.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I hope this does not come astray, but this sounds like there are chicken hens out there for plucking.

“blah blah for $800 new-”
    “Feel free to put me in touch with your buddy. I’m going to pull the trigger on,,,”
    “blah blah”

Where DO I sign Up??? rotflol

Go Spuds

I hope this does not come astray, but this sounds like there are chicken hens out there for plucking.

“blah blah for $800 new-”
    “Feel free to put me in touch with your buddy. I’m going to pull the trigger on,,,”
    “blah blah”

Where DO I sign Up??? rotflol

I was just saying that I was fired up–excited about the unit and that I got a heckuva deal. Basically the same unit as the poster was getting-otherwise i wouldnt have said anything

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The amount of products out there with specific features and screen sizes can be a bit overwhelming. If your used to a certain operating system, I would stick with that. If you are brand new to this, than pick one and learn it the best you can. Personally, I would not venture out on to a body of water without, at minimum, at least basic sonar. Sonar will tell you how deep it is and help prevent you from running into shallow water like a rock pile which could cause some serious damage.

Ron
    Victoria, mn

helix 10-mega-chirp-di-blah

That’s not real specific. Is it a Gen2 or Gen3 unit? $800 is a huge price cut. I’d be wondering why so cheap, but if it’s for real I’d buy it.

Chris Aker

Grant, thanks. I am brand new to the new, multi-function fish finders. I think I’m going with the Humminbirds because they appear easy to link together, and they work with my Minn Kota trolling motor. Plus, the Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA SI G2n GPS for $1199 is the best I’ve seen it offered for since I’ve been researching it (which has only been for a couple of months). It looks like it has all the options a novice like me could want.

Go Spuds

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Go Spuds wrote:</div>
    helix 10-mega-chirp-di-blah

That’s not real specific. Is it a Gen2 or Gen3 unit? $800 is a huge price cut. I’d be wondering why so cheap, but if it’s for real I’d buy it.

Helix 10 Chirp Mega DI GPS G2N–Friend works for parent company of HBird–Johnson outdoors.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Helix 10 Chirp Mega DI GPS G2N–Friend works for parent company of HBird–Johnson outdoors.

I’ve done the same in the past with a couple of friends who worked for Johnson companies (one for the bank, one making bug spray). They could get any Johnson product for about 45%. They both moved on to other jobs, I thought it was pretty selfish of them to make their lives be more important than my deals. ;-)

$1199 for a Helix 10 SI G2N is a great deal. If you’re able to wait until late winter, my bet is you’d be able to get a 12″ version for about that same price as they start clearing out G2 units. And there’s nothing better than more screen real estate.

Go Spuds

Yeah I thought of that–he said though there was no promise of inventory. Right now i have a 5inch and figure 10 will be a night and day difference

Mr. Derek
    NULL

Grant, thanks. I am brand new to the new, multi-function fish finders. I think I’m going with the Humminbirds because they appear easy to link together, and they work with my Minn Kota trolling motor. Plus, the Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA SI G2n GPS for $1199 is the best I’ve seen it offered for since I’ve been researching it (which has only been for a couple of months). It looks like it has all the options a novice like me could want.

I would suggest buying a training DVD for the sonar you get. It will help you shorten the learning curve significantly. I bought a Sonar Doctor training video for my lowrance units and it was well worth the $30.

Chris Aker

I bought the unit today! I’ll keep my eyes open for the late winter deals as well. I’m planning to wait to buy the bow unit, but if the prices drop this winter, I’ll snatch one up. Mr. Derek, I’ll definitely consider that option. I’m not very intuitive when it comes to anything tech, so a training course would really help.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Chris, be patient. It will take you some time to learn all the features. When I started using modern electronics, I started with Lowrance. I’ve used them now for about 15 years so I’m used to their features and operating system. But if I was just getting into it like you, I would definitely consider Humminbird.

Chris Aker

Thanks Michael. I actually just looked at that training option about an hour ago. I can get the reference charts and 3 dvd’s for around $60. I also looked on Ebay and saw a 6 video set (used) for $99. I will definitely invest in some form of training before I get too far into this thing. My current fish finder is a crummy $125 unit I got with the boat 15 years ago. This new Helix is exciting, but it will be intimidating to try to learn everything about it as well.

Sylvanboat

I have the Helix 10 SI Gen 2. Love it. Buy the Technological Angler videos to get the most out of your unit.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.