What type of fish reports cause bigger crowds?

• blackbay

10 inch plus bluegills
    12 inch plus crappies
    A hot walleye bite
    Multiple 50+ inch muskies caught
    10 inch plus perch
    5 lb plus pike
    5 lb plus bass…

My thought is panfish, specifically big crappies.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I tend to agree. Maybe kind of depends on the time of year though too. A hot panfish or walleye bite brings in hordes.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’d go with crappie 1, walleye 2, but yeah, pending on timing, those could easily be flipped.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

A hot panfish bite…easier to fish for and target.

I’d also add that if it’s early ice and people can walk that’s probably even going to attract more people.

FryDog62

Not even close… a true hot walleye bite trumps all –

ThunderLund78

Not even close… a true hot walleye bite trumps all –

I think I’d agree with FryDog as far as spot-burn goes. Depending on the lake, you may have 20 boats sitting on a rock pile. Panfish are close, though – and around the Metro I’d say maybe they’re even the winner here.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Panfish.

I have sometimes looked at ponds in the twin cities area that I know don’t hold fish and thought what would happen if somebody suddenly blasted it all over social media that there was a white hot panfish bite on these ponds?

How many people would suspend rational thought and go out there and give it a try just because social media said it was happening? A hot panfish bite is like a gold rush.

Grouse

Jensen

Any ice fishing report that someone posts on Facebook. One reason why I have never been a Facebook user. But in reality any panfish bite gets people excited.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

A lot of lakes hold walleyes that people can get to bite. But big crappies pull people in like bugs to a light.

When Upper Red crappie boom was in full stride the truck parade going back through Hudec’s was much more than the hot walleye bite pressure now. Back around 2000 there was a west metro lake that people discovered had big crappies in it. People were coming from Iowa to fish it. It lasted until it froze out the next winter.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

spring walleyes flame

Attachments:
    1. little-crowded.jpg

robby
    Quad Cities

Almost all good reports will trigger interest in folks. This became very apparent several years ago when we started posting pics of fish online, especially on the water. I learned my lesson.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I would jump on a hot gill bite depending on how far I had to travel…

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Any hot bite report will bring out the hoards. Panfish, eyes and even reports of good pike. Only thing that draws in a crowd faster/sooner is a net lifting a fish in boatside. I’ve lost many a eater walleye trying to hoist one in without the net.

mnfisherman18

I think a hot walleye bite trumps all. The muskie guys I know keep things very quiet.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Just the word “hot” triggers me. When its panfish or walleye Im glad because I will get to eat some fresh fish but I am just as excited to go after bass and pike.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think a hot walleye bite trumps all.

I feel like when people hear the Upper Red Lake early ice bite starts, its like a gold rush.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i never run into this hot bite and bigger crowds……….. doah doah mainly cause i’m usually a week way to late!!!!!!!!!!! frown jester

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mnfisherman18 wrote:</div>
    I think a hot walleye bite trumps all.

I feel like when people hear the Upper Red Lake early ice bite starts, its like a gold rush.

Thats like the rainy. Its the same time every year. It’s like clock work

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Early Red last year was a total gong show! smash

tornadochaser

In eastern SD and western MN it’s the perch reports in winter that cause the thundering herd to migrate.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

10 inch plus bluegills
    12 inch plus crappies
    A hot walleye bite
    Multiple 50+ inch muskies caught
    10 inch plus perch
    5 lb plus pike
    5 lb plus bass…

My thought is panfish, specifically big crappies.

I’d have to agree, with walleye #2. What used to be my go-to lake for crappie and walleye is ruined. It used to be pretty uncrowded and overlooked. 12″ crappie were common, 15″+ were available. Same with walleye-plenty of 30 fish days with good size and year class structure. Somehow word got out; not by me-I’m the guy that will tell you there isn’t a fish to be found in that lake if you ask-and within a year the average crappie size was dropping, within two years so were the walleye. That winter, some asshat organized a crappie ice-fishing tournament that drew a large-ish crowd to “my” little 400 acre sweet spot.
    These days, crappie and walleye can still be found, but it’s work. 9-10″ crappie is more average now, and much less of them. Same for walleye-they’re hard to find now, and when you do they’re pretty much 12″ cigars or the occasional fish in the release slot. Breaks my heart…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.