What rod for wacky rigging?

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So I’ve been throwing wacky rigs and senkos the last 2 days and have been a absolute murder scene.
    My issue is I like to throw both of those on spinning gear so I can get more distance. I’m using a cheap berkley lightning rod 6 ft medium and a president reel with 15 lbs braid. The power isnt there. I need a different set up. But what? I’d love to use my baitcasters but I just cant get the same distance.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Are you saying you are lacking power because of the rod or reel or both? What size president are you using?
    I like to use a 7’-6” medium light xf rod with a 2500 size reel. I prefer to use mono line because braid isn’t very good at transmitting vibrations on slack line.

tucrs
    NW Metro

I have been use a Fast 7’2″ ML with great success. I really love the ML tip on the rod for throwing further. Rodwork is spot on with using mono or a co polymer.

I don’t think braid works as well for this situation for me personally.

The longer rod helps my manage the line during the drop. I also use the same setup while Neko rigging.

Dan Baker

My set up for wacky rigging is a 6’8″ medium xtra fast action rod. I like the xtrafast action to get to the meat of the rod right away. I personally use 10#braid with a 10’long 12# fluro leader. This combo has always served me well.
    Dan

blank

I like a medium power rod with some backbone to help with fighting a decent fish, and a fast tip to help with casting. If casting into just open water I prefer mono, but around docks and lifts I prefer Fireline or a braid to help with the abrasion and the lack of stretch in the line will help get the fish out of there quicker to avoid any tangles around posts and stuff. Having a hi-vis mono can really help to detect bites since you can watch the line move when they swim away with your bait. I prefer a 2500 series reel over a 2000 for the little added power and line capacity/retrieval.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

And I guess when I throw wacky I always keep a touch of tension on the line to feel the bite. But that’s probably because I’m using a lightning rod. Lol.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I use MH 6’6″ with 14 lb mono and dont fish deep in the slop but just in and around it. Spinning.

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

My issue is I like to throw both of those on spinning gear so I can get more distance.

Bearcat,

Limit Creek sells a model called the LCSE83MLF

It’s a 8’3″ spinning rod that crushes fish with slip bobbers, and was designed to set hooks on looooonnnggg leader Lindy rigs 8-12′, but I use it for everything.

It bombs plastics for smallies for me on Croix Smallies. I use it with 6 pound Suffix Elite and there isn’t a bass that will get off with that long rod even when they jump I just put the tip in the water.

It also slides into its self and gets down to about 5’11” to fit the rod box, like a crankbait trolling rod does.

This telescopic feature does NOT loose your ability to detect a bite.

I have two of them in my boat that are about 15 years old. The clear finish on the logo has flaked off in spots so you can tell they are used a lot , but the rods are solid.

it is a bit heavy as its 8’3″ and has a telescopic feature so there is extra material, A 2500 will balance it out though. I used them for one more thing thats as a deadstick for us guys that get two lines.

Dan Baker

I should say I’m throwing wacky rigs in to heavy cover. Trees and under docks. A medium light would never have the power to RIP the bass out of there. I could see the ml if I was fishing in gravel or sand.
    And honestly I’m not sure on the reel size. I’d guess 2500.
    I was thinking I needed to lean more towards a medium heavy or heavy rod with a faster tip. I run braid to a floro leader. But for spinning gear I dont want my rod to be a heavy tank as in weight wise.

I dont know if there really is a good answer besides going with my loomis casting rods. But I just cant get distance unless I Texas rig. Which I’m just going weightless right now

I tried using casting gear with wacky rigs and just couldn’t get decent control on the cast. I always throw around docks and heavy cover. My guess is the backbone on the lightning rod has too much flex to keep the fish pinned during the fight. I use a 25 and 30 size reel, so you’re on the right track there. I like to keep my drag pretty tight, but definitely not cinched down.
    Dan

Ryan

6’9″ medium or medium light with a 2500 size reel. I’m looking to get the same length for wacky rigging. Take a look at the Avid series from St. Croix.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

6’9″ medium or medium light with a 2500 size reel. I’m looking to get the same length for wacky rigging. Take a look at the Avid series from St. Croix.

I cant relate to using a medium light in cover. And I fish heavy cover for all my bass. I was more leaning mh or even heavy. But looking for a good rod for that

Ryan

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ryan wrote:</div>

I cant relate to using a medium light in cover. And I fish heavy cover for all my bass. I was more leaning mh or even heavy. But looking for a good rod for that

oh gotcha, yea medium to medium heavy would be good. It looks like the Avid series makes a 6’8″ in the medium and then goes to 7′. Looks like they offer Medium-Heavy in other lengths though. Avid X series offers a medium and medium-heavy in the 7′ option also.

Deuces

This is true for many applications across different species, but the cheaper $75-$125 rods(generally) are flimsier than the expensive ones which can have big advantages.

Everybody fishes differently even the same presentations. I’d take some opinions here, go wack it up few more times and figure out what you’d specifically like to see in a rod. Forget the brands, the price tags, and just start picking up rods and find one that just feels right. Once you get to a point like many here you’ll find off the shelf rods just don’t cut it to your exact specifics and go custom or make their own customs.

Ryan

This is true for many applications across different species, but the cheaper $75-$125 rods(generally) are flimsier than the expensive ones which can have big advantages.

Everybody fishes differently even the same presentations. I’d take some opinions here, go wack it up few more times and figure out what you’d specifically like to see in a rod. Forget the brands, the price tags, and just start picking up rods and find one that just feels right. Once you get to a point like many here you’ll find off the shelf rods just don’t cut it to your exact specifics and go custom or make their own customs.

I couldn’t agree more.

mrpike1973

My wife and i both use lews mach 1 6.10″ spinning rods, 8# J braid with a 10# flouro leader she can spank em any day of the week. I do use a baitcaster when I’m in heavy cover.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So I just fished from 1030 to 2. I switched it up. To me medium, fast action st croix, and my ml fenwick and tried it out.
    Deffinatley not the lightning rods fault. I’m pretty sure I’ve been so used to only fighting eyes on spinning gear and bass on my casters. Now that I’m fighting a fish that’s really pulling back on spinning gear just feels different. It isnt the same as just torquing them out with a heavy bait caster set up.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I used to throw a lot of wacky rigged worms. I liked a long (7′) spinning rod (to quickly pick up line) and high viz mono. In my experience, you see a lot of bites just by watching the line take off sideways.

For heavy cover, I’d probably lean towards a stouter baitcaster.

Ryan

So I just fished from 1030 to 2. I switched it up. To me medium, fast action st croix, and my ml fenwick and tried it out.
    Deffinatley not the lightning rods fault. I’m pretty sure I’ve been so used to only fighting eyes on spinning gear and <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass on my casters. Now that I’m fighting a fish that’s really pulling back on spinning gear just feels different. It isnt the same as just torquing them out with a heavy bait caster set up.

I like the fenwick also. Which St. Croix do you have?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

[/quote]

I tried my 6 ft 7 eyecon and a 66 premier. I liked the fenwick over all. I think I’m just stuck in the loop of being used to cranking fish out with my mh loomis and a reel with 50 lbs braid and 8 to 1 retrieval. I’m not used to finesse fishing bass with open face gear.

Ryan

I tried my 6 ft 7 eyecon and a 66 premier. I liked the fenwick over all. I think I’m just stuck in the loop of being used to cranking fish out with my mh loomis and a reel with 50 lbs braid and 8 to 1 retrieval. I’m not used to finesse fishing <em class=”ido-tag-em”>bass with open face gear.
    [/quote]

I’ve got the 6’6″ eyecon medium. Nice rod. Were you using it for the wacky rigs and senkos or just for strictly walleyes?

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I love the ease of using a spinning rod set up.

I have been transitioning…well it’s been years but stills feels like just last year.

There are certain baitcasting reels that are more tuned into tossing lighter weight lures. If lures are just in the 1/4 weight and you’ve got your complete set up tuned and adjusted, it’s virtually gets the same distance.

My reels dates back to like just past y2k.

Shimano Chronarch Mg50.
    Shimano Curado 50E
    Shimano Metanium MG7

More recent one’s I’m using are:
    Shimano Chronarch MGL
    Shimano Bantam MGL

I have not gone down to 10# braid yet as I haven’t the need to finesse in that scenario for baitcasting reels. However when I needed distance I had opt for some Salmon poles. So I’ve got a St. Croix Avid 9′ H set up for those distance requirements. I don’t use them that much, but it’s there when needed.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Okay tonight I tried mono on a spinning rod 10 pound and had to break off’s under the docks what pound mono do you guys use

FryDog62

I will only use an extra fast tip, medium rod for wacky rigs. Better sensitivity and it’s not a noodle when you need to horse the fish away from cover.

When skipping under docks, I use Yo-Zuri Hybrid 8lb test. Lowest stretch line you’ll find, highly abrasion resistant, breaking strength closer to 12 lbs.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I will only use an extra fast tip, medium rod for wacky rigs. Better sensitivity and it’s not a noodle when you need to horse the fish away from cover.

When skipping under docks, I use Yo-Zuri Hybrid 8lb test. Lowest stretch line you’ll find, highly abrasion resistant, breaking strength closer to 12 lbs.

Thank you I’m going to try some of that line

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

So I went with every ones suggestions and can admit my rod chalice was very wrong.
    My rods were to heavy. I’m using a 69 avid x mlxf and the sensitivity on it is great for this. Weightless that is. Dont think it would be to great if I was in heavy cover but I’m on a rock point doing very well after that storm front pushed past

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    My issue is I like to throw both of those on spinning gear so I can get more distance.

Bearcat,

It’s a 8’3″ spinning rod that crushes fish with slip bobbers, and was designed to set hooks on looooonnnggg leader Lindy rigs 8-12′, but I use it for everything.

It bombs plastics for smallies for me on Croix Smallies. I use it with 6 pound Suffix Elite and there isn’t a bass that will get off with that long rod even when they jump I just put the tip in the water.

It also slides into its self and gets down to about 5’11” to fit the rod box, like a crankbait trolling rod does.

I have two of them in my boat that are about 15 years old. The clear finish on the logo has flaked off in spots so you can tell they are used a lot , but the rods are solid.

it is a bit heavy as its 8’3″ and has a telescopic feature so there is extra material, A 2500 will balance it out though. I used them for one more thing thats as a deadstick for us guys that get two lines.

I have this Limit Creek telescoping rod and its all sorts of full of utility. Great rod without breaking the bank.

catmando
    wis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”><a href=”https://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/what-rod-for-wacky-rigging/#post-
    My issue is I like to throw both of those on spinning gear so I can get 1860295″ rel=”nofollow”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>more distance.

Bearcat,

I have 2 of them, use them all the time, great multi-purpose rod.

broth82

Since we’re on the topic of Wacky worm fishing, I’ve been trying out some different ways to better secure the hook to the worm without loosing the worm as often. I have been having great luck using 3/8″ black heat shrink cut into 1/4″ long strips that I slide over the worm and then I hook into the heat shrink and the worm. I have had 15 fish caught on one stick bait using this method and haven’t noticed any decline in fish numbers. Also you can get the packs of heat shrink at Menards for under $2 for a pack with 4-5 pieces that are 3″ long.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Since we’re on the topic of Wacky worm fishing, I’ve been trying out some different ways to better secure the hook to the worm without loosing the worm as often. I have been having great luck using 3/8″ black heat shrink cut into 1/4″ long strips that I slide over the worm and then I hook into the heat shrink and the worm. I have had 15 fish caught on one stick bait using this method and haven’t noticed any decline in fish numbers. Also you can get the packs of heat shrink at Menards for under $2 for a pack with 4-5 pieces that are 3″ long.

That’s a pretty solid idea. I caught 17 yesterday on 1 worm. I use the black o rings. 100 pack on Ebay for 2.50. Works good for me every once in a while they will steal if from the o ring

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.