What oil do you fry your fish in?

• FryDog62

I still think it’s hard to beat pan fried fish in Ritz cracker crumbs/butter.

If fried, I RUN away from anything Shorelunch. Full of MSG – use the Watkins version without it ;)

Cody Meyers

I like to use coconut oil. It’s clean, tastes great, and I’ve never had a problem with hitting the smoke point on it. Gives your fish a light fresh coconut flavor too if you are into that sort of thing.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

pan fry = BUTTER

All dry rubs on my fish and the deepfryer never goes over 330 with canola oil that is ONLY used for fish

Cameron white

Don’t use oil. Always used lard. Much higher flash point, doesn’t get sucked into the fillets.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Since the other half is on a health kick when frying up fish it is just for me. Picked up a Frydaddy for one or two people it is the cats meow does not take much oil heats quick and Peanut oil all the way for me. If I just do fish I will strain the oil thru a paint filter for reuse if I do Hush Puppies then the oil gets tossed…….I need to thaw some fish I usually do mine in the shop along with This is not your Dads Rootbeer.

Jack Simonton

Peanut oil all the way. It’s a little spendy but has a higher smoke temp and doesn’t smell like vegetable oil or Canola oil.

me too guys.

fishinguns
    Metro D, MI

Just caught this thread. I used to be peanut oil only. Got on a health kick and lost 70lb and learned some things about oils. Processed oils are pretty rough on you. Vegetable oil and canola oil are some of the worst. You will burn/oxidize olive oil if you get it hot enough to fry and then it’s only slightly better for you than Veg/Canola. We eat olive oil in salad dressings, only.

We cook and fry with avacado oil. You would be amazed at how much less heavy a meal of fried walleye/bluegill/perch is using avacado oil to deep fry in. I think it’s smoke point is 500F? Regardless, my gut no longer hates me me when I fry fish!

I also don’t do huge fish frys for everyone anymore and prefer to use Granpappy deep fryers (bigger version of Frydaddy) for family meals. Walmart/Sam’s Club has best prices on avacado oil, FYI.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Just caught this thread. I used to be peanut oil only. Got on a health kick and lost 70lb and learned some things about oils. Processed oils are pretty rough on you. Vegetable oil and canola oil are some of the worst. You will burn/oxidize olive oil if you get it hot enough to fry and then it’s only slightly better for you than Veg/Canola. We eat olive oil in salad dressings, only.

We cook and fry with avacado oil. You would be amazed at how much less heavy a meal of fried walleye/bluegill/perch is using avacado oil to deep fry in. I think it’s smoke point is 500F? Regardless, my gut no longer hates me me when I fry fish!

I also don’t do huge fish frys for everyone anymore and prefer to use Granpappy deep fryers (bigger version of Frydaddy) for family meals. Walmart/Sam’s Club has best prices on avacado oil, FYI.

Right on about the oils! For anyone who gets heartburn or indigestion from fried food, this is the cause. Cheap processed oil.

Expeller (cold) pressed plant oils or animal fat is the way to go if you care about your health.

CaptainMusky

Right on about the oils! For anyone who gets heartburn or indigestion from fried food, this is the cause. Cheap processed oil.

Expeller (cold) pressed plant oils or animal fat is the way to go if you care about your health.

Which is why I switched to sesame oil. The vegetable oils I always tried left funny smells, tastes and even gave my oldest son allergic reactions.

walt501

I moved all my fish frying outside my cabin when I bought a Camp Chef propane two burner stove. Let the grease fly, I don’t care anymore. I also use a large Lodge cast iron fry pan. The difference in browning up fillets is night and day between a cast iron pan and anything else. Frying oil has been peanut and only peanut oil for at least the past 30 years.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Avocado oil you say? hmmmm Color me interested.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Avocado oil is very good. High smoke point and no discernible flavor. As previously stated you’ll need to go to Sam’s/Costco for a decent price

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Is Avocado Oil typically used as a pan fry, or deep fry. What is the preferred method?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Is Avocado Oil typically used as a pan fry, or deep fry. What is the preferred method?

Yes. All of the above. It’s expensive though. I wanna say $10 a pint on the low end.

Anything cold pressed or expeller pressed is going to be healthier. Sunflower seed and safflower oil has a very high smoke point too. Just make sure it’s expeller pressed.

fishinguns
    Metro D, MI

Agreed with the posts above.

B-man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jeff_huberty wrote:</div>

Yes. All of the above. It’s expensive though. I wanna say $10 a pint on the low end.

Anything cold pressed or expeller pressed is going to be healthier. Sunflower seed and safflower oil has a very high smoke point too. Just make sure it’s expeller pressed.

$10 a pint for deep frying?

$80 a gallon??

Yoikes

riverruns
    Inactive

Well this is for a fish fry on Saturday. Hope it passes the taste test. devil

It’s cheaper and what we use. Always puts out a great fish.

I’m thinking an occasional fish fry, 3 times a year, most people will be OK. waytogo

We only do this a few times a year. All seems good.

Now pan fried. All Butter!!

Attachments:
    1. 15762030082548136847130278456716.jpg

riverruns
    Inactive

Label says soybean oil.

catmando
    wis

lately, fry magic air fryer brushed with canola oil 7 min done.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Got in on a buy 1 get 1 avocado oil in the 1/2 gallon. Don’t recall the price, a small amount goes a long way when pan frying. I’ve been going the air fryer way the past couple years, not much oil frying for me.

Viewing 21 posts - 31 through 51 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.