What net am I looking for?

• blackdogs
    Burlington, IA

Lost a double digit fish at the boat yesterday when I couldn’t slide it in the net got her sideways and that was it. Have lost lots of fish that are lightly hooked at the boat and need to get a bigger/longer net than the cheap one I have. Any ideas on a good net that will tuck away easily and has decent reach. Thanks!

FryDog62

I have a smaller boat so space is an issue. I use the larger size Hibernet that I can just store easily in a rod locker, or on top of it while I’m fishing. A great space saver and has worked great for me. My only recommendation, is if fishing alone, have it at least partially deployed and ready to go. Its a bit tough to be fighting a fish with one arm and trying to snap the net into position with the other.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I haven’t been brand specific on nets, but I am a huge fan of the rubber webbing. my mid size net that I have for most applications works great for crappies to small musky. The rubber lays deep with the weight of a fish and 30″ walleyes have never been a problem.
    I wish i did know who made the hoop ring. Mine has been very durable. Even after wearing out the rubber net and replacing, the ring has kept its form.

Attachments:
    1. DSCN4835.jpg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Have any of you guys tried one of Frabils crank bait nets yet? Got one of there conservation nets a few years ago. Wanted to try something that wouldn’t split the tails on the fish so bad. Great extendable handle and loop. Down sides where to much water resistance while fishing the river alone in higher water. Second was that net just sucked for crank baits. Had a number of trips where we just started cutting the webbing to get the cranks out. That net doesnt even come with now if Im going to be fishing a lot of cranks.

Wondering if the crank baits series is any better. Guess they must of realized there was a issue or Im sure the crank bait series would of never came about. Maybe Ill try ordering a bag of the new stuff and see how it works. Nets are good, just need replacement bags.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

If small fish (walleye) and storage is a concern…the hyber net can’t be beat. It’s so compact that I always have it in the boat.

Normally I use a very large net for flats and sturgeon that I’ll take out if I’m fishing for channels only or need room for other reasons.

But the model Hybernet I’m using handles up to 15 pounds and is ALWAYS in the boat and out of the way.

fishdale

Frabill Hibernet:

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/frabill-hibernet/0000000039816

I love mine!

I got a hibernet this spring for the new boat because it fits in the rod locker and I do not need to worry about packing it. For that it works great. The big problem I have with it is the material it is made out of is prone to getting hooks stuck in the mesh. Works good for jigging not so good with cranks.

I like my old Beckman much better but it is bulky and hard to store in the boat.

I guess each has their pro’s and con’s.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I have one of the newer conservation nets and the mesh is better than the two year old version, but still, no where near as good as the net I use for crappies… like the one Randy has pictured. I often have both in the boat, but unless trolling where I need the reach, the smaller rubber net gets used whenever possible. Crank baits are never a problem with that rubber, where they still can be a bit of a pain with the newest conservation net. It is better, there is more “coating” on the mesh, but still not what the rubber net is for quick crank removal. I have had two of the conservation extension net handles fail. Found a little lube before things lock up… and then a half second of thought when grabbing it before turning and extending will help a lot.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Maybe Ill have to swing by fleet farm and see if they have any of the new crankbait nets on hand to take a look at before buying.

Are you saying the handles bind up and do not extend? That is how they fail? Very seldom mine gets extended so never have had that issue but good to know to keep a eye out for.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

The slide out and snap in feature helps for storage as well.

The failures I have had is the “cam” for lack of a better term that must be internal that locks it in position for extending, yes. It sort of locks up, and can’t be extended without way too much effort. The Gander near me had a few returned for the same reason.

I think careful use… and a little WD40 seems to help, as I think it was corrosion causing the problem? My new one, I store it extension about a third out, and then slide the handle into the mesh area. I I need it, I grab the net with free hand, use my foot in loop to hold and just pop the handle out to the locked position. Works well, and it the right length for anything.

I had a big sheepshead really spin around in the net with a crank this weekend, and it wasn’t too terrible to get out. The Conservation net of past would have been a terrible mess. I as one other posted, got to the point of cutting a couple hooks to get them out of that … and that ended my using it, along with the locked up handle.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

The failures I have had is the “cam” for lack of a better term that must be internal that locks it in position for extending, yes. It sort of locks up, and can’t be extended without way too much effort.

That is the reason the extendable Frabil I purchased last year is laying in the corner of my barn with the other failed nets. The little plastic “cam” that locks the handle extended pulls out of the inner tube at the worst possible times and then the net won’t lock and the hoop spins. Not an issue when using two hands, but a royal pain when alone. I have fixed it a few times and have now given up on it.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Spend the money on a beckman with the handle and hoop size and bag style of your choice and you will never need to buy another net, unless it is stolen…
    All the little “fancy” things that other net makers add/do are just a gimmick and are going to fail in time.
    May sound gruff but that just the truth.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

I bought a Beckman after I lost my cabelas net that they don’t make any more ,and have been more than happy with it. I had a beckman I couldn’t find,that was 35 years old. Then I fished with my sons buddy and I said that looks like a beckman net ,and he said that was a net Jake gave him to use,there’s my net!

Stan

blackdogs
    Burlington, IA

Thanks for the input. Since I have two “net girls” that are 2 and 6 that are usually along to help are there any that float or is there a simple way to make sure they do? Won’t be fun watching the expensive neck launch overboard…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.