What about pink…..?

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Not just for ice fishing but pink as a bait color in general. I like the color, but I’ll be hung if I can find any consistent luck with it. I don’t know why but I can make baits with just about any color, and I do, but as soon as pink is involved I just don’t catch fish.

With the ice season half way thru, how many of you guys are finding pink a viable color for crappies, sunfish or waldo? How about the glow pink color. Any luck there? Orange was always a great color for me under the ice but as I mentioned, things would come to a screeching hat as soon as I hung something pink on. I’d like to know how other do using it.

Coletrain27

Had great luck on lotw this year with pink and I always have good luck using pink on trout personally in summer and winter

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Thanks for the response!

tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

Lake of the wood pink and gold is all we used.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Thanks!

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Anything pink or red is my go-to for crappies. For walleyes (through the ice) I would say it is about average for me personally.

Brad Dimond

White feathers with a pink head is my go to jig for crappies.

AnotherFisherman

Tom,

I am the same way. Maybe I just don’t have the confidence in pink, but I never seem to catch fish while using it.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Pink is not ‘the’ go-to but definitely one of my go-to’s for walleyes hard and soft water, especially jigging raps. I also really like pink for crappies in both summer and winter although straight red is first choice under the ice.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

I didn’t know this was that kind of website…

Pink/white is one of my confidence colors. Jigs, spoons, jigging raps, rattle raps, they’ve all produced in my experience. Funny how personal these things can be.

Trent W
    Chatfield, MN

With crappies, I have had good luck with a pink jig head and either white or chartreuse plastics. Never did well with pink plastics, however. Pink crankbaits have performed very well trolling for walleyes and there have been days where there had to be pink while jigging walleyes or you didn’t get bit.

blank

Pink is my go to color for panfish, both through the ice and open water.

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

Color is a really interesting phenomenon when it comes to water and absorption! I do quite a bit of scuba diving and it’s always cool to see how quickly colors fade.

The lowest frequencies of the light spectrum (reds, oranges, yellows) will typically fade out in the 20-30ft range. Greens, blues, and purples keep their hue a bit deeper due to the shorter wavelengths/more energy.

With all the additives in paints/epoxies that lures are colored with, (UV reflective/glow/fluorescence/etc) you can retain color quite a bit more.

Here’s a really interesting video demonstrating color absorption vs. depth. Keep in mind this is quite clear seawater. Same principle applies to freshwater though, and even a bit more quickly due to muddier/more stained water that deflects/reflects/absorbs light more quickly with all the particulates.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Love the pink octopus maki baits for Crappies! First one I tie on.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

I’ve had great luck running a pink X-rap for coho on the North Shore.
    And a pink “lots o dots” Flashback spoon has caught alot of salmon and lakers for me too, seems to fish really well out of Silver Bay.
    I’ve also got quite a few other sticks/spoons for trolling Superior that have pink in them.
    And last weekend on LOTW every fish I caught (all 5 LOL) was on a glow pink hook.

zooks

Crappies, yes it’s one of my confidence jig colors, along with the dark blues/purples that you turned a lot of people on to years ago. I’m like Trent and haven’t had much luck with pink plastics and crappies, though.

Sunfish, I’d rather use chartreuse/orange/white/natural colors at all times.

Walleyes, not the first thing I reach for but have had success with it. Had a few good days last summer trolling a #5 Hot Pink Clown Shad Rap, IIRC it was a FF exclusive color. Have also had some success with pink in spinners but again, not usually the first thing I reach for.

I also know smallies love it on stickbaits but I don’t fish for bass very often.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Pink has been a great color for me on the Gitch and LOTW.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Thanks everyone. Trent has fished in the same boat with me and used pink head while I couldn’t catch a cold with a pink head.

Nate….ad uv enhancer and those colors come alive.

Mark—-pink is not a bad Superior color for me if its coupled with gold and orange. Got a couple spoon of that combo that work well on some days.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i’m more of an orange, white, red, and chartruse color guy myself!!!!!

not so much on pink!!!!!

maddogg

A friend of mine caught walleyes all day with a flor. pink jig head and a purple twister tail. A fish bit him off so he tied on another an caught the same fish with in seconds.He wouldn’t even let me use the recovered jig after getting it back, what a buddy huh.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Pink is coho and steelhead candy.

Pink and white Pulse—R is a go to on the rainy river for me.

Scenic

In any stained water for walleye my go to jig is always glow/pink. I also use a lot of glow/pink jigging spoons in the winter. Just started using a glow pink wonder bread spoon that has done very well for me.

shady5

There was a color called ‘pink panties’ that we used a lot on Erie. The tackle guys got creative in naming the colors and it probably sold more lures than the design…

disco bobber

I make may own jigs and use a combinations of pink and orange powder. About 2/3 to 3/4 pink. I am trying to replicate the fluorescent peach/tangerine color that is used on some clothing. I catch walleyes on them.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I make may own jigs and use a combinations of pink and orange powder. About 2/3 to 3/4 pink. I am trying to replicate the fluorescent peach/tangerine color that is used on some clothing. I catch walleyes on them.

I’ve done about the same ratio mix using air brush acrylics and soft plastic colorants but added a small amount of red to get merthiolate. A little pearling agent in there gives the color a lot of pizzaz. The peach can be a unique color too, but I can’t recall catching a fish on it. The merthiolate can be a great color at times for walleye, especially a soft plastic grub or worm-type bait.

Deleted

The pink & pearl #7 flicker shad was our best color last spring, trolling – Lake Pepin.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.