LAX waterfowl meeting

• Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Went to one of the annual WI duck hunting meetings in Lacrosse last night. If you haven’t heard yet, reports show record high duck numbers! Kent Van Horn predicted with 100% certainty another liberal season for the Mississippi flyway (6/60)….he even “went out on a limb” and said with the high water trend and duck populations at all time highs we’ll be looking at 6/60’s for the next 3-5 years for sure.

Splitting WI into 3 zones was the big topic of the night. Those in attendence were 100% in favor of the river being the 3rd zone and most wanted a Sept. 24th opener with a 12 day split keeping the 2nd part of the season unchanged.

Unfortunately the Feds still haven’t approved the 3rd zone option, and it sounds like it might be too late to get this implemented this year…..but they do still have the door open for the change to go into effect for the 2012 season.

Let the count down begin!

kris_brantner
    My river

ugh. sept 24th! come on all the fair weather hunters want to get out and whack the woodies and teal . ide say open closest weekend to oct first like we always do, have special split season on the river maybe a 14 day and have it go well into the 2nd week in dec. you can have the woodies and teal. ill take the mallards blacks and goldeneyes in dec.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

I’ll take a Sept. 24th WI opener….Oct. 1 MN opener….and a 12 day split to make an epic Oct. 15th WI 2nd opener!

3 openers! In the words of Michael Scott….Win. Win. Win.

Imagine what a 12 day split would do for the 2nd opener. The river is frozen the first week of December.

muskybones

how does one get into hunting ducks/ goose? something i have wanted to try.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Typical wisconsin dnr wanting to change what already works. Yeah some years the river is huntable in dec. but most often it is not. I am not a fair weather hunter by any means. Why would they have a 3rd zone? What are the details on that? I like the openers the way they are…leave us alone, you already “upgraded” our deer hunting!!!!!!! What a joke.

kris_brantner
    My river

i have an idea… how about an early teal season like almost every other state has….

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Quote:

i have an idea… how about an early teal season like almost every other state has….

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Things got DNR’d! Thanks WI DNR again!!!!!!!!! Someone should fly a banner over their headquarters…

kris_brantner
    My river

so we have open water later in the year hence the canada season going untill almost jan yet we open a week early? i think it is dumb as hell. ide go for an early teal season if it didnt count against our 60 day season. its pretty lame the boys to the south can shoot ducks before we can. no i honestly could give a crap about teal. i would rather have the CHANCE to shoot greenheads late season when all the fair weather hunters are at home than to sit out there swat mosquitos and sweat hunting ducks in later sept. i just do not understand their reasoning behing taking a zone which stays open later than the rest, and to open it earlier.

ses
    Mayer, MN

FYI:

Got stopped by the Feds on opening weekend and he said don’t worry…..it will be better second opener when people can hunt on the other side of the tracks???Come on!

All I want to know is do are votes really count or does the DNR already have there minds made up prior to the meeting like everything else????????????

aitkinguy

yes vote count at these things their were many many people that wanted the 3rd zone some did not but most the hunters polled ont the mississippi did want this it was big numbers in the poll like 75% to 25% and the 25% most said they were done hunting hard by rut time that left the rest of us time to shine at these meeting those of us that wanted it i also have been in contact with 3 diffrent people that have told me the 3rd zone will now stay and we can fine tune the date to the liking on the miss. i kow for one that most of the groups i hunt with will be signing a petion to make it start first sat. in oct. or even 1 week later have the split and try to get it closer to christmas i for one hunt all pools and their is always open water you just have to be willing to go to it “hints fair weather hunters are gone” cause it too cold and they dont want to work for a good hunt….just my .02

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Where do I sign for later hunting???

Mark

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.