Walleyes and Euros

• SpoonbillSlayer
    St. Michael, MN

Caught one on a jig and euros this weekend. I know it happens, but was wondering if anyone ever uses euros/waxies specifically for eyes? Maybe during a light bite or just for something different than a minnow head.

Andrew Swenson

I’ve had good luck using euros on some lakes when fishing deep mud.
    They wouldn’t even touch a minnow head or full minnow.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

All of the time in western Minnesota and eastern South Dakota, depending on available forage. Even on Waconia.

404 ERROR
    MN

If nothing else is working, I’ll give it a shot if I’ve got some. A few years ago, my brothers and I took a trip to URL. The bite was non-existent and we were throwing caca at the wall hoping it would stick. In my ice suit, I had a baitpuck full of Spikes. Threw a couple on a tungsten jig and went to town. Easily caught 5 Walleyes that evening on that setup.

zooks

All of the time in western Minnesota and eastern South Dakota, depending on available forage. Even on Waconia.

X2, spikes on a 1/16oz or 1/8oz spoon is what I fish with 90% of the time when I’m hole hopping out there cause everything eats it. I also have a bunch of #6 and #8 horizontal jigs like the old Bro Bugs, Fat Boys, and Slick Jigs that I’ll pack a bunch of spikes on if I’m midday fishing on more “traditional” walleye waters.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’d try pounds instead of euros next time…..

Dylan Salow

We have a deep quarry pond with big gills and decent walleyes. Usually throw a spoon down with a few waxies and get both to bight but I think the spoon profile attracts them more than the waxies on the end compared to the bluegills. Either way we take them when we can get them!

404 ERROR
    MN

I’d try pounds instead of euros next time…..

But the Euro is currently stronger… smirk

SW Eyes

As mentioned, I get this in Eastern SD all the time targeting perch. Also catch them on minnows (fatheads, shiners, and chubs), so it’s not an exclusive deal.

Was just out there this last weekend and caught a number of small walleyes on a small tungsten jig tipped with a trigger-x nymph and a spike while going after perch during the day. They feed on a lot of freshwater shrimp in those lakes, especially the small ones, so they’ll tend to go after stuff like that. Then, had great morning/evening/overnight action large minnows. Got some really nice sized fish on that.

If you’re targeting bigger fish, I’d stick with minnows/minnow profile stuff.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Done fine on euros stay on hook.

Nicholas Roy
    Maplewood, mn

Ive fished this small lake just north of the twin cities for the last two year. Ive seen nice eyes and craps come out of it but could never get an eye to bite. One morning decided to just go for pans and jig with tear drop and wax and caught a nice 19″ eye on my ultra light. Since that day every morning I have caught eyes on the same set up and they have NEVER touched the traditional spoon and minnow head or dead stick with minnow. very odd to me

but hey, do what works right?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.