Pool 4 Sauger Population Decline

• p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Not sure it would ever happen, but a four fish limit here or statewide might help all fish populations. As for the river a four fish limit would certainly help, maybe even three fish from December 1 to Feb 28. How many fish go home each day on weekends between the boaters at the dam and ice anglers @ Frontenac? I don’t know how many people have talked about how great the fishing was on the ice the winter of 2011-12, maybe too good for the sauger population…..

BINGO!!! The night bite that year was also insane, warmer temps, and 40X the boats typically out there due to a number of variables. On the flip side, other than a missing year class or two- walleye numbers are high. I like the 4 fish limit idea for MN. SD has used this for years, even on bodies of water such as the missouri river which can completely handle heavy pressure all year round, and is muuuuch easier to fish compared to the sipp.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

A cycle thing. If it were fishing pressure rather walleye pop would also be affected at it seems strong to me. Nature running it course.

Lil Guppy
    Lake City, Mn

Quote:

The 18″ Sauger I caught during this tournament was the thinnest sauger I have ever had the pleasure to catch, it had about as much weight as a 14″ walleye would have. Very unhealthy looking fish!

Got a 17″ yesterday that looked fat and healthy as could be. Got a 19″ and 20″ a few weeks ago that looked healthy also. But I also said to myself that I think that was the first 20″(or 19″ for that matter) I have gotten in at least 2 or 3 years though. They are just not as common anymore. I agree with Jimmy though that the coolers full of 10″-12″ getting cleaned at the fish cleaning station can be a little gut wrenching to watch. Just because their easy to catch the dinks doesn’t mean that their is/will be an unlimited supply of them. Make it a challenge and put a 15″ minimum on saugers and drop the limit to 4.

been fishing

all the winter and spring fishing below the dam close the season when fish are spawning

pass0047
    Pool4

talk to the biologists and they make pool 4 fish sound like the buffalo in its day( not a population that can be effected by harvest). fish year round and allow people to keep what ever fish they want and wondef why the populations are not strong. natural cycles happen but humans do have a role in the changes.

Steve Vick
    New London, MN

Perhaps the fish need another flood and extended high water like 2001!!!! Businesses (everts) and others certainly don’t, but that was a banner year for year classes!!!!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I would like to see a closed season during spawn just like every place else. I’ve always thought thousands of people ambushing fish at the damn during their spawning run was Wrong. Kinda like gill netting on Mille Lacs. I don’t see much of a difference.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I have a silly question.

What’s the difference if I harvest a 20′ sauger in the spring when she’s ready to pop or I harvest her the fall before?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

I have a silly question.

What’s the difference if I harvest a 20′ sauger in the spring when she’s ready to pop or I harvest her the fall before?

She would be harder to find in the fall when not in a barrel with all her sisters.

jimsiewert

Great discussion everyone. I am glad the consensus is that there is a “concern”. So what can we do?? I personally will contact the Fisheries Dept. in Lake City to see if they would consider a Round Table for discussion and get a group of us involved. Will they? Don’t know – but I will try.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Quote:

I have a silly question.

She would be harder to find in the fall when not in a barrel with all her sisters.

Hmmm, you might want to fish P4 in the fall/winter.

jimsiewert

Just wanted to let you all know that I had a great conversation with Kevin Stauffer from the fisheries department in Lake City. I will not speak for them, but they are starting to get more and more feedback on anglers concerns of the sauger fishery. Kevin stated that he will be providing a response soon here on this thread and also attach some of their reports. It was great to have that one-on-one conversation and I have offered assistance in anyway that I can to help out if needed.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

As painful as this is to say, I agree with BK. Saugers on P4 are most vulnerable from Mid October to usually around December, and then the winter night dragging bite can be an absolute slaughter as well.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

For the record…I didn’t say anything about fishing in the dark.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

I have a silly question.

By far, the easiest time period to catch both walleyes & saugers is late May thru the middle of June.

Even though there may be less fisher people on the water during this time frame, I would be willing to bet a fairly large sum of money, that more fish are caught during this period than during the spawning run.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.