Walleye on underwater points

• Justin Cammidge

Hey folks! I have found this underwater point that extends a decent way out from a bay. The top of the point is about 6-7ft deep with good green weeds, it drops off quickly to 20ft of water. Should I set up on the tip of the point (for walleye) or on the sides or on top of it? Im sure different ways would work but what do yall like to do in that situation?

Thanks

Justin Cammidge

Here’s a screenshot of it. Disregard the pins and markers… I was just messing around with navionics.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20220109-180436_Boating.jpg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’d be on the bottom edge of that break this time of year. Early and late ice I’d be on the weed edge at low light and then on the break mid day.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’d be on the bottom edge of that break this time of year. Early and late ice I’d be on the weed edge at low light and then on the break mid day.

I’ll second Matt’s advice. I’d get right on the tip of that point and set my tip ups where the contour lines first start to widen out.

Justin Cammidge

Ok thanks guys! I’m only allowed 2 lines here so I use one tip up and then jig as well. So if I understand you correctly I’d be jigging in about 13-14 ft of water then have my tip up in 7 ft of water all on the tip of that point?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Ok thanks guys! I’m only allowed 2 lines here so I use one tip up and then jig as well. So if I understand you correctly I’d be jigging in about 13-14 ft of water then have my tip up in 7 ft of water all on the tip of that point?

Nope, I’d be right where the deep edge on the point is. 21’…where your contour changes from blue to white. You want to be deeper now that we’re in the mid winter patterns.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Just a suggestion I have caught more walleyes with one jigging pole and one dead stick next to me. Seems when the walleyes start biting the time you waist going to get the fish on the tip up you would of caught 3 on the the jig and dead stick setup. You will find some days they will prefer one or the other and some days they will be equal. Good Luck and I would also suggest the point. Drill holes before the bite starts and as you learn which areas are better you can focus on those.

Justin Cammidge

Was out yesterday evening till 6pm. I drilled lots of holes ranging from 6-21ft on the point. I set up my shack in the middle of the point as the home base but hole hopped around and targeted mostly the deeper water 17-21ft as you guys suggested. I didn’t mark anything other then schools of perch (which weren’t bitting) I set my tip-up out in the deep water too, like 17ft, but I didn’t get anything. So I decided to move it shallower to about the top of the point in about 6ft of water. Not to long after that I caught a walleye, he was about 14″. Should I move up shallower due to that catch? I should also say that this is a relatively shallow weed like lake. 21ft is as deep as this lake gets for the most part.

Thanks

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

get out there and fish. Its not going to help at all sitting and waiting for a response on the internet. There is only 1 way to find where the fish are, and sitting behind a computer asking isn’t one of them

Justin riegel

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Justin Wayne Cammidge wrote:</div>
    Was out yesterday evening till 6pm. I drilled lots of holes ranging from 6-21ft on the point. I set up my shack in the middle of the point as the home base but hole hopped around and targeted mostly the deeper water 17-21ft as you guys suggested. I didn’t mark anything other then schools of perch (which weren’t bitting) I set my tip-up out in the deep water too, like 17ft, but I didn’t get anything. So I decided to move it shallower to about the top of the point in about 6ft of water. Not to long after that I caught a walleye, he was about 14″. Should I move up shallower due to that catch? I should also say that this is a relatively shallow weed like lake. 21ft is as deep as this lake gets for the most part.

Thanks

Is this lake known for good numbers? Sometimes fishing marginal lakes you have to accept marginal results. All the advice in the world cant help you catch fish that don’t exist. The lakes near my house or marginal so 1-2 fish an evening is a good night for me. Once in a blue moon I get on a good bite but I have come to accept the lakes for what they are. The pan fishing on the other hand can be real good.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I would not even worry about fishing the deeper water during the day I would focus on the last 1.5 hrs of the day next to the weeds but not in the weeds. I’m assuming this water clarity is on the darker side?

Justin Cammidge

get out there and fish. Its not going to help at all sitting and waiting for a response on the internet. There is only 1 way to find where the fish are, and sitting behind a computer asking isn’t one of them

Dude… I fish everyday. I’m just asking for advise on this piece of structure!

Justin Cammidge

I would not even worry about fishing the deeper water during the day I would focus on the last 1.5 hrs of the day next to the weeds but not in the weeds. I’m assuming this water clarity is on the darker side?

In 21ft of water I can see right to the bottom. Some days are better then others for clarity.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Ok I didn’t realize the water was that clear it will probably be a right before dark into dark and hour or so for the bite. Clear waters are little harder to fish but they should feed once the sun goes down. Keep your movements down especially in that shallow of water. I would of thought the weed line would be deeper in that clear of water.good luck

Justin Cammidge

Ok I didn’t realize the water was that clear it will probably be a right before dark into dark and hour or so for the bite. Clear waters are little harder to fish but they should feed once the sun goes down. Keep your movements down especially in that shallow of water. I would of thought the weed line would be deeper in that clear of water.good luck

OK thank you. Going out again tomorrow to make swiss cheese… hopefully I can get on some.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I would try the turns/ sides of the point also if you have not. The one on the right looks good to me. Like supercat said it’s going to be about the low light period but you can still catch them during the day and they will most likely be deep at that time.

Deuces

Weekend before last I watched a 10# eye in 12′ clear water eat my crappie jig.

Guys always say deep deep deep basin basin basin, but I like shallow structure. Waiting out for bigger fish on a spot, might only get one but y’all can have the 14″s. Just my 2 cents

Justin Cammidge

Only caught 2 small ones this evening in 8ft of water on the tip of the point. I dud alot of hole hopping… before my sonar arm broke (

Attachments:
    1. 20220112_183539-scaled.jpg

2. 20220112_173403-scaled.jpg

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

That might not be a bad evening considering I know nothing about the walleye population of the lake. When you said you hole hopped I’m assuming you took your shack with you? If you did you are creating a lot of noise in that shallow of water which can spook the fish. If you want fish out of your shack set it up in the area that you have caught the fish before and don’t move. If you want to hole hop just take your bucket and sonar and move around every 5 mins or so. Also you can catch none one night and 15 the next. The later the winter gets the feeding patterns will get shorter and shorter until spring. Good luck

Justin Cammidge

That might not be a bad evening considering I know nothing about the walleye population of the lake. When you said you hole hopped I’m assuming you took your shack with you? If you did you are creating a lot of noise in that shallow of water which can spook the fish. If you want fish out of your shack set it up in the area that you have caught the fish before and don’t move. If you want to hole hop just take your bucket and sonar and move around every 5 mins or so. Also you can catch none one night and 15 the next. The later the winter gets the feeding patterns will get shorter and shorter until spring. Good luck

No I didn’t take the shack with me. All I walked around with is my sonar and a rod.

Thanks

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Weekend before last I watched a 10# eye in 12′ clear water eat my crappie jig.

Guys always say deep deep deep basin basin basin, but I like shallow structure. Waiting out for bigger fish on a spot, might only get one but y’all can have the 14″s. Just my 2 cents

Over the years one of my learning curves has been continually having to relearn just how often I find the bigger walleyes shallower than my thinking/training would have thought. My instincts send me to steep breaks and deep water, then I turn around and thump them in 5′ of water. You’d think I’d be able to unlearn this, but it’s hard to override instinct I guess.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.