Walleye love those bullheads

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I’ve been chasing flatheads the last few weeks without much success. The walleyes have been managing to keep me entertained, I can’t seem to get them to leave my bullheads alone. I’m just anchored up on a current seam with the rods off the back of the boat. My tackle is a little heavy for walleyes but every so often I see the rod load up and it is usually a pretty good sized walleye looking for a bullhead dinner. Most walleyes I’ve been catching are 20″ plus. I let them all go. On a medium heavy catfish rod with 80lb powerpro it is not much of an inspiring challenge. Most of the time they are after the smaller bullheads around 5 inches or so. The last few days I’ve been fishing large bullheads and the walleyes seem to let them be.

Attachments:
    1. Bullhead-walleye.jpg

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

This one was a 25″ walleye that I hooked and missed 3 times before he finally got the hook. He would just grab and hold on to the bullhead until I had him right up to the net then he would let go of the bullhead and swim away. Last time he managed to get hooked. Pretty nice fish. Best bite was right before sundown. I trap bullheads for bait and the smaller ones seem to be best for walleyes. I use a swing spreader under an in-line bobber – kind of like a paternoster rig. The bobber stands up the spreader and holds the bait just off the bottom. I use a short leader off the spreader arm, about a 4 or 5 inch leader with a 5/0 circle hook. All the fish have been hooked right in the corner of the mouth. Pretty simple rig. Kind of boring way to fish for you run and gun guys. I’m a sit and wait kind of guy. I just anchor up, drop my rigs off the back of the boat, turn on the Twins game and hope a big fish comes along. With the high water a good current seam seems to hold fish.

Attachments:
    1. Swing-Spreader-25-inch-walleye.jpg

riverruns
    Inactive

Shh!

shady5

It’s always cool to see unconventional tactics.

Deuces

Northern streches of the miss bullies and juvenile cats are a big part of diet for the walleyes. In their stomaches quite often. Not quite as large as those though!

Nice catches, thanks for sharing.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

LOL! It’s fun to skip an 8 pounder across the surface like a crappie.
    Good to hear your getting out Steve!
    )

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.