Utv/SxS

• bigstorm
    Southern WI

Looking at getting a SxS this year. I have been looking and doing a bit of research for the better part of a year now and it looks like people can be brand specific but possibly due to dealer location. To throw this out there, I am not looking to spend what $30K on a machine, but also dont want a boxy looking, all work type machine.

This would only be a 2 person machine and be used for light work, general trail riding and ice fishing – nothing extreme

Polaris has some options, the RZR (lower end models) look good, but have a smaller box/backend for hauling. Many of the Generals I see are priced higher than what I want to spend.

The Yamaha Wolverine looks like a decent cross between sport and utility. Does anyone have experience with the base model Wilverine.

What about the 2 person Kawasaki Teryx or Can Am Commander? Anyone have experience with these?

snelson223
    Austin MN

I would take a look at John Deere Gator. We have used them at work and they seem to be pretty solid machines.

Coletrain27

I have a teryx but it’s a 4 seater with 1800 miles on it now and I really like it. They make 2 seater with bigger beds. I have a ranger before this and liked that also but wanted a 4 seater and better suspension for trail riding. Kawi has the best warranty with the teryx 3 year bumper to bumper comes standard. I ended up upgrading my fox shocks to elkas on my teryx and it’s 10x better trail riding now than a stock ranger.

Yamaha came out with the RMAX which is a nice looking machine but is considerably more money. Rangers have the most accessories available out of any machine out there if your looking for ceartin things.

Guy I hunt with has had a number of commanders and loves them. My brother runs a ranger and so do some of my relatives. I have 2 buddies with generals too which are nice.

Right now selection of anything in stock is very hard to find

Attachments:
    1. 31471320-E87E-4972-B807-B5C1C330D3EA-scaled.jpeg

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

I have a ranger With 1500 miles on it now only issue was replacing the belt it’s been a solid machine 2017, 900 Xp. My cousin has the teryx four seater he’ll be the first to tell u how obnoxiously loud it is , he’s also had it overheat on him just on leisurely trail rides nice machine too just something To consider

404 ERROR
    MN

I have ridden both the new and old Commander, General, Teryx and Pioneer. I would not recommend the 1st Generation Commander. They’re hot in the cab and a PITA to work on. The Teryx is slow, painfully slow. Not a problem if you buy it for work, but you won’t be winning any races on the trail. The 2nd generation Commander, General and Pioneer are all sweet machines. I’m brand biased so I vote 2nd gen Commander, but all 3 are great. No experience with the Wolverine but have seen a few on the trails.

Best advise is go sit in them. You’ll get a good feel of the machine.

Coletrain27

Yea the teryx is no speed demon but for a 4 seater it’s the shortest model out there I believe and that’s what made me like it for trail riding. It does 50mph which is plenty fast for the trail riding we do. The 2 seat teryx and 4 seat are exactly the same overall length. Every model has there pros and cons but they are getting nicer every year along with the prices raising also shock

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We’re casually in the market as well. I won’t spend $30k on a side by side though. It’s going to take some waiting and shopping, but I’d be comfortable with a 2 seater Defender, Ranger, or General – in no particular order. The 4 seaters are not practical for us as we will be using it for too much work. Wrestling those things through the woods or turning in small spaces is more difficult. We won’t be trail riding a ton and need some sort of space for work in the back. It will be used to run around the properties hauling tools, maybe pulling utility trailers when clearing brush, running to the neighbors or the buildings down the hill, hauling the ice shacks 2 miles to the river, doing some small clean-up plowing where we get drifting, and maybe a little trail riding.

Something that’s a couple years old and slightly used would be ideal (but obviously hard to come by at a reasonable price). If the right deal came up tomorrow we’d be in, or if it was 2 years from now that’s fine too. If anyone happens to be unloading something similar on IDO and is looking for an all-cash offer, shoot me a PM waytogo

hnd

I was in the market and looked at everything. all around me in JD country are gator drivers. they are nice but way more expensive and not necessarily any better quality than the other brands.

a guy down the road has a kubota diesel x1120d and it is probably my favorite.

my price range was 10k. I ended up having a 4 seater polaris ranger fall in my lap and took the deal and we love it. I have 7 in our family and we can tool around the entire property with it.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

Mule Pro MX

I bought this back in August 2019 brand new for just over 10k including tax and registration and I probably have another $2500 in options on it, hard coated poly windshield, top, soft upper doors and rear window, winch, plow, and heater. With the supply shortage a new one without the accessories will cost $13k

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Thanks for all of the replies. At this point, my plan would be to go checking anything out that peaks interest, sit in it, test drive if possible, and go from there. It sounds like whatever feels best to the buyer is the way to go, not really any wrong answer or something to stay away from

404 ERROR
    MN

not really any wrong answer or something to stay away from

Only machine I would stay away from is anything Arctic Cat. Some love em, most have seen the light.

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigstorm wrote:</div>
    not really any wrong answer or something to stay away from

Only machine I would stay away from is anything Arctic Cat. Some love em, most have seen the light.

X2

queenswake
    NULL

ATV/UTV options are simply overwhelming. Beyond brands, it’s seats, box size, etc. I have no idea how I’m going to decide when I finally get one. I think you probably need to just buy one and then by using it you will learn the one you really want. Because something is going to irk you about it. Not enough seats or too small of box and that will drive you to your forever one. And the good thing is that you won’t lose much money on it by turning around and selling it. Even after supply shortages are behind us, there is just way too much demand sitting on the sidelines that will take years to work through.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Something that’s a couple years old and slightly used would be ideal (but obviously hard to come by at a reasonable price). If the right deal came up tomorrow we’d be in, or if it was 2 years from now that’s fine too. waytogo

That’s kind of how I was when buying a Ranger a few years ago. There were good used deals that popped up on facebook and craigslist, but you just had to be the first one to message them because they sold quick. I knew what I wanted, had cash in hand, and finally after about half a year was able to have one pop up that I saw within minutes of it being posted and owned it a few hours later.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Just an update here, we ended up getting what we felt was a good deal on a 2013 Camo Commander XT 1000 about a month ago, it had 2500 miles and came with new tires, a winch and blinker kit (which is good for many areas where we will use it).

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Just an update here, we ended up getting what we felt was a good deal on a 2013 Camo Commander XT 1000 about a month ago, it had 2500 miles and came with new tires, a winch and blinker kit (which is good for many areas where we will use it).

That’s a sweet ride. You will enjoy it.

Tom Anderson
    Kasson, MN

My vote would be what I own. Honda pioneer 1000. They’re not the fastest, not the sportiest, but Honda reliability can not be beat in my opinion. 6 speed transmission, no belts to slip/break.

MX1825

I like my Pioneer 1000-5.
    5 passenger and not 1 of those super long UTV’s. Does everything I need it to do. Also no belts and Honda reliability.

404 ERROR
    MN

They sell insulated blankets for the center console. You will understand why I said that this summer flame

Keep an eye on the bearing in the primary clutch. If your machine starts to shift hard, clean/grease/replace the bearing ASAP.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigstorm wrote:</div>

They sell insulated blankets for the center console. You will understand why I said that this summer flame

Keep an eye on the bearing in the primary clutch. If your machine starts to shift hard, clean/grease/replace the bearing ASAP.

Thanks for the tips, are the blankets sold thru Can Am or aftermarket?

404 ERROR
    MN

Can Am Console Tunnel Heat Shield

They fit Commanders. Same interior. You can also use Thermo-Tec to line the inside of the panels. I did that and it was night and day. Plus you don’t see it like you do the mat.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.