USPS shipping stories

• CaptainMusky

Could this be due to garbage pay at the bar ? Generally curious. Frontier steak house in Princeton is closing because they can afford to pay the workers a livable wage. People realized 8 to 12 bucks a hour is a joke. I bet if they offered a solid bonus to the cook then he would be in. The profit might go down a little but that’s better then no income at all

This was a cook and cooks generally make dang good money since they dont rely on tips while bartenders and servers make less but get a lot of tips. My 17 YO son is a cook at the bar by my house and he makes $18 an hour AND gets tips on to go orders. IDK what the servers and bartenders make, but I know its less hourly than that because they have commented on it.
    This particular closure I guess was because the cook got sick and was the only daily cook they had.

tswoboda

Do you know so many people opting out of work that you can confidently say no one wants to work anymore?

Yes I do they’re called Baby Boomers and there’s a poop ton of them in our country.

Gitchi Gummi

It’s not so much that “nobody wants to work” rather that there are simply not bodies to replace some of the jobs. Some of the lower paying jobs in our society will continue to go unfilled due to a shortage of workers as BC alluded to.

exactly! huge difference between people not wanting to work vs supply/demand of the workforce demographics not aligning.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Frontier steak house in Princeton is closing because they can afford to pay the workers a livable wage. People realized 8 to 12 bucks a hour is a joke.

That’s unfortunate. Its really the only place in town that has a decent sit-down type meal atmosphere.

John Timm

I just recently quit the USPS after trying it for almost a year. It was the worst job I ever had. Low pay, 7 day weeks, 50-70 hr weeks, considered part time, supply your own vehicle that needs to be reliable as well as able to deliver mail out of,no training on all routes, and management that refused to address problems and just criticized everything the subs did. That place is a complete joke and I hope they all go down with the ship.

Riverruns

I just recently quit the USPS after trying it for almost a year. It was the worst job I ever had. Low pay, 7 day weeks, 50-70 hr weeks, considered part time, supply your own vehicle that needs to be reliable as well as able to deliver mail out of,no training on all routes, and management that refused to address problems and just criticized everything the subs did. That place is a complete joke and I hope they all go down with the ship.

That sounds tough, were you forced to work 7 days a week? Was there overtime pay? That’s comes out to an average of 7 to 10 hour days. Working man day? Do you agree?

I assume when you inquired for the position for your local post office you knew you were responsible for a reliable delivery vehicle? Shame on them if they didn’t inform you, but you knew that.

Maybe getting criticized as a sub, shows you didn’t go the extra mile? Lots of people don’t know what that means? Lots of people also do. It’s called busting your ass and doing a little more to get respect. Not only from management, but your coworkers who do it everyday.

So now what. It sounds like it’s someone else’s fault you quit a job. They didn’t fire you.

By the way, if your home is within 1/2 mile of your mailbox, we are required to deliver your packages that don’t fit in your mailbox, to the place you request for it to be delivered (garage, front door). Rural America works yet where I live.

John Timm

sounds tough, were you forced to work 7 days a week? Was there overtime pay? That’s comes out to an average of 7 to 10 hour days. Working man day? Do you agree?

I assume when you inquired for the position for your local post office you knew you were responsible for a reliable delivery vehicle? Shame on them if they didn’t inform you, but you knew that.

Maybe getting criticized as a sub, shows you didn’t go the extra mile? Lots of people don’t know what that means? Lots of people also do. It’s called busting your ass and doing a little more to get respect. Not only from management, but your coworkers who do it everyday.

So now what. It sounds like it’s someone else’s fault you quit a job. They didn’t fire you.

By the way, if your home is within 1/2 mile of your mailbox, we are required to deliver your packages that don’t fit in your mailbox, to the place you request for it to be delivered (garage, front door). Rural America works yet where I live.

Yes I was forced to work seven days a week. I quit for many reasons as mentioned above. The last thing that made me quit was them telling me I couldn’t go to my son’s college graduation. No time off.So f u for criticizing my work ethic. I went back to union concrete work so I do know what work is.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

We’ll see how my luck goes today, ordered a new Stradic from Scheels Friday night, it shipped out on Monday and shows as “Out for delivery between 11AM and 3PM” today

They were spot on this time, delivered at 2:30

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I’ve got another shipping story in the works. Not USPS. Order placed on 8-14 and shipped on 8-15. The estimate was 9-14 days so it is still not late. I’ll update when/if I get it. At least it’s in this country now. Well, I think “Chicago, Illinons” is in this country!! lol

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You’re not the first person that has relayed this about the USPS. They have a mandated delivery by federal law 6 days/week, there aren’t enough workers, and anyone that gets hired is forced to work like a slave for 7 days/week plus overtime with no time off. The post office needs a complete over haul. They’ve been operating in the negative with taxpayer bail outs for a decade and they’re supposed to be a self-sustaining agency. I don’t blame you one bit for leaving.

tswoboda

sounds tough, were you forced to work 7 days a week? Was there overtime pay? That’s comes out to an average of 7 to 10 hour days. Working man day? Do you agree?

We get USPS rural carrier job listing postcards in our mail every couple months and it’s for like $18/hr…

The post office needs a complete over haul. They’ve been operating in the negative with taxpayer bail outs for a decade and they’re supposed to be a self-sustaining agency.

I’m not sure it’s possible to run a successful business delivering personal mail to every house in the USA. The money is in packages, not bills and junk mail.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m not sure it’s possible to run a successful business delivering personal mail to every house in the USA. The money is in packages, not bills and junk mail.

Congress needs to step in and make mandated changes. We don’t need mail or delivery 6 days/week. Can easily drop it down to 5, or less.

I’m not very hopeful for any significant changes if it requires the politicians though.

LabDaddy1

yup I’ve heard many stories about how bad USPS sucks to work for. Riverruns you should get over yourself a little bit.

And as somewhat of a side note, our mail lady(and her “backup”) couldn’t figure out how to close our simple, functional mailbox 25-35% of the time or just didn’t care to. That went on for many months with many complaints put in. And if you approached her she’d stare straight ahead and hammer on the throttle. Lol. Not to mention the many, many months we only received our mail 3-4 days per week with much crucial mail being extremely delayed.

South metro.

Glad some of you have great experiences with them. Sounds ideal!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Not to mention the many, many months we only received our mail 3-4 days per week with much crucial mail being extremely delayed.

Mine was not delivered a number of times in the winter months too. Some of it was likely weather-related and some of it may have just been because they were understaffed. I know my regular carrier by name, as we both went to the same college and he saw me rocking a t shirt when he delivered it one day. As I was talking to him, he openly told me that if he is out on a delivery day (on vacation or sick, etc), the mail will very unlikely be delivered because there is no one to do his route. I told him I understood this and thanked him for being honest.

Riverrat

Part of the demise of the USPS is they aren’t really giving me anything I want. I can receive almost all of my important documents electronically. Package support through USPS is not good. They should have been the supplier of government emails when emails first started and then they would have a chance. Most people in my generation have been predicting the end of the USPS since the late 90’s. I feel for the postal carrier, but package delivery will only increase so the options for re-employment are there.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have little faith in the USPS to deliver packages. When we moved a couple times, we used Fed Ex and USPS to ship packages. We received 100% of the Fed Ex packages and they lost some USPS boxes with books. The USPS has a warehouse in Atlanta that fills up about every 3 weeks with undelivered packages and they auction off the stuff they couldn’t deliver. I imagine someone got my wife’s boxes of Medical books. Hope they enjoy them, they weren’t cheap. Insurance covered maybe 1 book per box. crazy

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

I work for the USPS. Been a rural carrier there since ’09. So if you need a punching bag, go ahead and swing away. LOL

Some of what’s been said here is accurate, some not so accurate. How it happens that packages make their way around the country (or world I guess) is beyond me. That’s not my department. All I can say on my part is that when it gets to me, it’ll get to you….almost always by 1pm if you were to live on my route. )

What is true though is the long hours for subs, the 7 days a week, the holidays, being denied time off for vacations, weddings, graduations or even critical doctor appointments, and the less than desirable treatment by those in charge.

Also true is the lack of employees. We could use at least 20 more people where I’m at….25 would be better. It’s not the attractive job it maybe once was. The pay isn’t great, it’s a labor job where you’re out in all the elements from extreme hot to extreme cold. Antiquated equipment doesn’t help attract people either. I could go on and on.

The money situation, there is little to nothing we as carriers (or clerks) can do about. That’s congress and the higher-ups. It seems they’re making an effort to save money though by cutting our rural carrier wages. I make $5k/yr less because I work too fast. Others lost $20k/yr because they didn’t set their route up correctly in the computerized pay system, and other reasons.

My customers know that when driving conditions are favorable, they’ll have their mail by 1pm or earlier depending on if they’re at the beginning or end of the route. When mail comes to me, it goes out to them. But I can’t give you what I don’t have. I’ve had people blame me for not delivering a package, losing a package or once even stealing a check….only to find out days or weeks later that they got it from FedEx, UPS or some other delivery service. It never came to the USPS/me in the first place. )

Many of us try to be timely and accurate. But the other problems like parcels going around the world, or costs, are beyond the control of folks like myself. Hopefully we get more employees. They’re needed badly. Properly trained, that would at least improve the delivery service and make it more reliable for customers….not to mention the morale of those already working there. )

MX1825

Well said Weekender. applause

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Second shipping story. I wanted to get more tab lock snapper pins like the picture since these are used for attaching my LiveScope transducer to the pole and a couple places on my snowmobile trailer. These with the angle or “ear” are much easier to use. Couldn’t find them at big box stores or local hardware store. Was going to order from Fastenal but they wanted $18 for shipping 5 of these that cost $7 and change. I tried getting them at a Fastenal store but they don’t carry them in stock but could deliver to store for free. The nearest one is 15 miles so not worth the time and gas.
    Ordered from Harfington for $9 for 5 and $3.50 for shipping, so about half the price overall. Ends up this order came from China via YunExpress.
    Mainland China (maybe Wuhan)
    Chicago, Illinons (their spelling lol )
    Trasferred to USPS
    Glendal Heights, IL
    Saint Paul
    Minneapolis
    Minnetonka
    Took 10 days, right in their estimate of 9-14 days.

Attachments:
    1. tab-lock-snapper-pin.jpg

jon_wbl

A few years ago I had a few small parts being delivered USPS. Showed online as being delivered. I was home within 15 minutes of said deliver and no package with the rest of the mail. I needed to go to the post office anyway, so I showed the lady the tracking # and told her what I knew. Automatically she started spewing that it must have been stolen. 20 yrs at that address and no issues however. I asked if we could leave a note for the carrier… Too busy for that.

James Almquist

I ordered a part for my 4Runner and it came to St. Paul and then to Puerto Rico and then to the Virgin Islands and then back to the states and then back to P.R. and the Virgin Islands before someone crossed out the 008 on the package and then I received it finally. 008 is part of the zip code for P.R. and the Virgin Islands.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I hear this so often but don’t know a single person that is willingly choosing not to work. Do you know so many people opting out of work that you can confidently say no one wants to work anymore? It sounds like one of those things my grandpa complains about when he’s got nothing else to do

Yes, I personally know at least 1 person who is actively choosing not to work. A very small percentage of all the people that I know, and we aren’t exactly friends anymore due to lifestyle choices. I also ran into this more than once during a brief time I worked at a manufacturing plant during COVID times. Several 20-something quit, all citing “just want to spend some time figuring my life out instead of working”. I couldn’t believe it because all my life, figuring things out never correlated with losing my income source. Then again, WI unemployment was paying the equivalent of $17/hr at the time, and when you get free gov’t money you don’t need to worry about overhead like a car, insurance, etc. So maybe not working hard for $19/ hr and instead doing nothing for $17/hr was the more sensible choice after all? Who knows. crazy.

John Timm

Anyone hear the latest USPS news…. A lot of USPS employees were not paid for a day or something like that. Glitch in the system or some lame excuse. Great employer, LoL

Riverruns

Anyone hear the latest USPS news…. A lot of USPS employees were not paid for a day or something like that. Glitch in the system or some lame excuse. Great employer, LoL

Seena your still following your last employment? Could you elaborate?

Coletrain27

Here’s my personal story. The mailmans vehicle literally ran into my house then he got back in it and drove away. Luckily my neighbor was outside and got a picture of it all.

It was on a Sunday and he was delivering stuff to my neighbor in the culdesac. He got out and never shut off the vehicle or put it in park. It started driving away and made a circle and then went right for my front step. I was not home at the time

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0130-scaled.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

LOL that’s kinda funny Coletrain. Going “postal” with the delivery vehicle huh

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Tell your neighbor he needs a new driveway

Coletrain27

Tell your neighbor he needs a new driveway

Lol yes he sure does. That’s from a boom truck that never should of been up there

Riverruns

That’s funny stuff.
    He or she was not a mailman on a Sunday though. Package delivery person for Amazon using a USPS vehicle instead of a Amazon delivery vehicle.

Ya USPS paid for employee.

Coletrain27

LOL that’s kinda funny Coletrain. Going “postal” with the delivery vehicle huh

Lol I was at a movie with our son and my neighbor calls me and asked “what’s going on over there the mailman just ran into your house” I thought he was just looking around at first. I still can’t believe the idiot got back into it and just drove away. The postmaster ended up coming over and looking at it all and the guy ended up getting fired. The usps is self insured and they ended up paying for all the damages and labor

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.