Used trucks

• eyeguy507
    SE MN

So I see a lot of 5 or so year old trucks with high mileage. I’m talking 150 plus, some over 200K miles. I still drive an 07 Sierra with 126K so are these newer trucks good to go for 300K miles or more without major problems or is it just asking for trouble?
    Just wondering what you guys or gals think? It is a hard pass for me for anything high mileage but maybe times have changed within the last decade?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

You have an easy 100,000 miles left in your truck. Honestly I’ve been shopping for a clean 1980 or early 1990 truck from our west. Cheap to rebuild, can still work on it and reliable. Especially compared to the computerized nightmares of the 2000’s.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

No, people think their crap is gold.
    For the price people are asking for half clapped used a guy is better off buying new.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Take care of them and they will take care of you. If you want high milage diesel is the way to go. I have a 2005 Ford with 456,000 miles and a 2014 Dodge I just turned 390,000 on.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

You have an easy 100,000 miles left in your truck. Honestly I’ve been shopping for a clean 1980 or early 1990 truck from our west. Cheap to rebuild, can still work on it and reliable. Especially compared to the computerized nightmares of the 2000’s.

I figured I am good to go for a while. Biggest gripe for me is the rusted out rear fenders and the rims leaking air all the time as well as burning thru 2 additional quarts of oil every 5K miles.

basseyes

Take care of them and they will take care of you. If you want high milage diesel is the way to go. I have a 2005 Ford with 456,000 miles and a 2014 Dodge I just turned 390,000 on.

Any issues with the 05 Ford or any mods to it?

MX1825

I figured I am good to go for a while. Biggest gripe for me is the rusted out rear fenders and the rims leaking air all the time as well as burning thru 2 additional quarts of oil every 5K miles.
    [/quote]

Oil is cheap.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Oil is cheap.
    [/quote]
    Yes, yes it is. I asked my mechanic about it and he says “2 quarts”….thats it? I love my truck and just got new tires last winter so I plan on going another couple years.

Dan Berger

Just bought a 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 crew cab yesterday with 103,000 miles on it for under $20000. He was a classmate of my son and had it for six years and only put 50,000miles on it. Going to drive my 08 and wear that out til it dies.

Coletrain27

All depends on how well they were maintained. After 100k you can normally see who has taken care of there vehicles

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

All depends on how well they were maintained. After 100k you can normally see who has taken care of there vehicles

I’d be willing to being you XYZ money that it has nothing to do with prior ownership/maintenance(to a certain value) , and more to do with that exact vehicle.

btyreprich
    Rhinelander, WI

When I bought me retirement truck, I decided on a Ford F-150.
    As this has been the best selling American vehicle for many, many years, I felt the “bugs” would have long been worked out of them. I also liked that the body was made out of aluminum so no rust issues. Another benefit of the truck being a top seller was that there are a LOT of them out there to choose from. I found a great leased vehicle in MN.
    New truck prices are just too high for me.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

Any issues with the 05 Ford or any mods to it?

I bought it with 25,000 miles on it and it had been in a wreck and came with a salvage title. At a little over 200,000 miles it died down in Kansas City. As it was a 6.0 Powerstroke I was expecting that it would happen. The guy down there worked his magic and gave me a bill for $2,800.00 for whatever he did. Everything was good until just last November when I put all new injectors in to the tune of $3,800.00
    So yes i’ve put some money into it but it has served me very well. I’m not complaining one bit on what it costs to operate a truck.
    My Dodge the tranny went at 80,000 miles (replaced under warranty) Grubson replaced the heater core a couple of years ago. Today I’m dropping it off for a complete fluid and filter dump. Oil, tranny, radiator and a couple of other things. Hopefully thats money well spent also.

Both trucks have had ball joints, shocks, tie rod ends ect done in addition to a bunch of tires. But considering both pulled a trailer all over the midwest with a forklift and tools I think they did well. Cummins in my Dodge has been the best over-all motor i’ve ever owned.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

That damn rust!

The oil thing, even if you put in a new/used engine with low miles. That only sets you back about $5,000-$6,000. As opposed to tens of thousands for a used unknown with high miles. My buddy just replaced his engine in his 2009 Chevy 1500. It was a used engine, had 60,000 miles on it. I think he was all in for around $5000 when he was done. A LOT cheaper than a newer rig.

I bought a 2001 1500HD in 2004. Sold it for $5000 in 2015 with around 245,000 miles on it because it was starting to get rusty. I regret selling that truck all the time. Bought a 2007 Ford Expedition with that money for $6000. Sold the Expedition last fall for $500 with 230,000 miles, a ton of rust and some really bad noise in the engine. I bit the bullet and bought a 2017 Ford Expedition for $27,000 cash. Bought in from NW North Carolina. It looked like it came off the showroom floor……clean! That price hurt though! I want to go back to the old days.

Oh, the other thing. My buddies and I do not buy MN vehicles. Oklahoma, North Carolina, Utah, Oregon, Idaho all have beautiful rust free vehicles available. Texas you get a lot of sun damage, but still a good option. FL has sun and salt, maybe flooding and a lot of bad drivers.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Crazy the miles some people travel daily to get that many miles on new trucks. That’s a lot of windshield time. I don’t mind driving, but I can think of a lot of other things to spend time doing.

My miles are spread out between a few vehicles, but I’ve got a 2013 F150 that just rolled 100k for stuff out of town. The other rigs are older pickups that we run around the buildings and locally with for towing heavier equipment.

My favorite is the 95’ regular cab F150 converted to propane. Thing runs like a dream. I think it has around 90k on it.

The Mrs. thinks I should have ONE shiny truck with all the creature comforts. I remind her that she gets a new vehicle every other year with every available option, so our comfort is covered if needed

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I assume you’re discussing a gasser. I only buy used diesels and no way in heck will I buy a truck from anywhere in the salt infested Midwest. I don’t care what anyone thinks their rust bucket is worth. As soon as I see any rust forming underneath, value to me is ZERO. Working on rusted up POS takes so much more labor plus how much goes wrong faster.

I drive 60-80k a year on my primary vehicle and expect 600-700k miles. Wheel bearings /u joints about 250k. I priced out re-powering gasser trucks and the expense makes the added life of a diesel a better deal

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I drive 60-80k a year on my primary vehicle and expect 600-700k miles. Wheel bearings /u joints about 250k. I priced out re-powering gasser trucks and the expense makes the added life of a diesel a better deal

I’m still running a gasser. And I only put on about 25,000-30,000 miles a year. I don’t tow heavy stuff. But my miles come from jumping in the truck on Wednesday evening and running to Texas or so for a long weekend of salt and sand and big fish.

walleyevision

How do you all search for out of state vehicles? Are you flying in, buying sight unseen and driving them back?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

How do you all search for out of state vehicles? Are you flying in, buying sight unseen and driving them back?

Short answer yes. I search using one of the many online auto selling sites. I put together a list of a handful of vehicles that I want to check out. I call each one personally and set up and appointment. Fly out there. Do some fishing or chilling while I’m there around the appointments. Choose one and drive it home. If needed have a local shop do an inspection.

Or, my buddy and I drive down/over. Do some fishing or whatever. Vehicle shop while we are there as mentioned above. Buy one, drive it home.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Ya it’s the underside of the body/frame that could be an issue here on used trucks, or vehicles in general. It might have good service records and look decent on the outside, but salt and rust takes a toll pretty quick underneath.

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coletrain27 wrote:</div>

I’d be willing to being you XYZ money that it has nothing to do with prior ownership/maintenance(to a certain value) , and more to do with that exact vehicle.

So you’re saying a person that never washes their vehicle and frame is rotting out at 100k is going to last until 300k? Maintenance and upkeep play a huge role in everything lasting.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>walleyevision wrote:</div>

Short answer yes. I search using one of the many online auto selling sites. I put together a list of a handful of vehicles that I want to check out. I call each one personally and set up and appointment. Fly out there. Do some fishing or chilling while I’m there around the appointments. Choose one and drive it home. If needed have a local shop do an inspection.

Or, my buddy and I drive down/over. Do some fishing or whatever. Vehicle shop while we are there as mentioned above. Buy one, drive it home.

Done the drive out with a buddy and have him drive it home. Or drive out with our flat bed and trailer it home. Just depends on what you are buying and how cool your friends are.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Done the drive out with a buddy and have him drive it home. Or drive out with our flat bed and trailer it home. Just depends on what you are buying and how cool your friends are.

Right! Thankfully my buddy is on board. Either one of us have been known to call the other and say, “what are you doing the next 4-5 days?” And then saying, “pack your stuff, we are going to Texas to chase Sheepshead.” Or whatever state and species. Then the other says, “see you when you get here.”

Ripjiggen

Ya it’s the underside of the body/frame that could be an issue here on used trucks, or vehicles in general. It might have good service records and look decent on the outside, but salt and rust takes a toll pretty quick underneath.

Never had a truck rust out. Been driving since I was 16.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Never had a truck rust out. Been driving since I was 16.

I’m curious how you define “rusted out”. I’ve had two that the floor boards were held together buy the carpet (including the ’07 Expedition I just sold). lol

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Been driving since I was 16.

Same. But I don’t drive a truck (or a vehicle in general) for 200k or 300k miles either. I get rid of mine when the 100k warranty is up.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Same. But I don’t drive a truck (or a vehicle in general) for 200k or 300k miles either. I get rid of mine when the 100k warranty is up.

If you (and others I’ve read that typed that) got rid of them under 100K and replaced them while staying out of debt. I’m envious. How did you do that?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’ve had several new trucks through the years. I kinda like not like having truck payments these days.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.