Used trucks

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>
    Same. But I don’t drive a truck (or a vehicle in general) for 200k or 300k miles either. I get rid of mine when the 100k warranty is up.

If you (and others I’ve read that typed that) got rid of them under 100K and replaced them while staying out of debt. I’m envious. How did you do that?

My last truck I traded in was a 16 ram with 120k on it. I bought it new for 23 and sold it for 21. The 22 ram I just bought I paid for upfront. I was very shocked at my trade In price on the 16.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

My last truck I traded in was a 16 ram with 120k on it. I bought it new for 23 and sold it for 21. The 22 ram I just bought I paid for upfront. I was very shocked at my trade In price on the 16.

That’s awesome

Ripjiggen

I’m curious how you define “rusted out”. I’ve had two that the floor boards were held together buy the carpet (including the ’07 Expedition I just sold). lol

I would consider that rusted out. jester
    Can’t say I have ever had that. Hell I have never seen surface rust at all.
    Then again I don’t roll to 300k either.

Umy
    South Metro

I have a 2010 f150 FX w 145,000 miles. Bought it w 77,000k July of 2020
    4 H/L shift was not was working had it fixed
    New manifolds, new timing chain, new fuel pump, new front brake calipers,
    Regular maintenance. Wash and wax and keep it clean. Little rust but I HATE rust so looking.
    Tired of putting money into it.
    Thinking Tacoma this time around. $35+K for a 50,000 mile truck hurts

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Might be worth looking at ridgeline too. Just an idea.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I would consider that rusted out. jester
    Can’t say I have ever had that. Hell I have never seen surface rust at all.
    Then again I don’t roll to 300k either.

yeah. The last couple years, you possibly needed a tetanus shot getting in and out of that truck.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I flew to Ohio to buy my truck, put $500 down and filled out the loan paper work so all I had to do was get picked up at the airport by the car dealership go sign some paper work and drive home. Saved $8k

KPE
    River Falls, WI

2007 Sierra burning two quarts? You sure it’s not leaking? My 2010 would spit out a quart over the course of 3000 miles, and it had 250k on the clock when I sold it. The oil cooler lines would seep slowly at the connection.

Either way your engine is easy to service, and no AFM so that’s nice. I’d keep it. I take great care to wash and occasionally hand wax my current 2016. I have 135k on this one now, and starting to see the paint bubble over the fenders. Just a matter of time. I believe that I prolonged this when I injected cavity wax back in 2019 when I bought it, but it’s going to happen no matter what. Bed sides are replaceable.

tswoboda

2007 Sierra burning two quarts? You sure it’s not leaking? My 2010 would spit out a quart over the course of 3000 miles, and it had 250k on the clock when I sold it. The oil cooler lines would seep slowly at the connection.
    Either way your engine is easy to service, and no AFM so that’s nice. I’d keep it.

If it’s new body style 2007 then it should have AFM, and that would explain the oil consumption.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Umy wrote:</div>

Might be worth looking at ridgeline too. Just an idea.

That’s not a real truck.

I’m sorry, but under Minnesota law, somebody has to do it.

Attachments:
    1. NART.png

Deuces

Leaky v8s I have had good luck bumping up from 5w30 to 10w30 to slowing er down pretty good. Also the Lucas oil stabilizer goes along way too.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

If it’s new body style 2007 then it should have AFM, and that would explain the oil consumption.

Correct it should have AFM, and a couple quarts is no big deal.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

That’s not a real truck.

I’m sorry, but under Minnesota law, somebody has to do it.

This is very true! Just trying to start an IDO NART group

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Eyeguy if you have an 07 i would have the frame looked at you might be looking harder.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Eyeguy if you have an 07 i would have the frame looked at you might be looking harder.

I was talking to someone the other day and they were telling me the you should have your auto Undercoated every couple years. I thought it was a once and done thing.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

The new softer under coatings need touch up as they do wear. The old Z-Bart hard coatings were a once and done coating but moisture got trapped under the coating making the frame rust faster.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>chuck100 wrote:</div>

I was talking to someone the other day and they were telling me the you should have your auto Undercoated every couple years. I thought it was a once and done thing.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

The new softer under coatings need touch up as they do wear. The old Z-Bart hard coatings were a once and done coating but moisture got trapped under the coating making the frame rust faster.

What is the recommendation? Every 2 years? More? Less?

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I use Fluid Film, 4 or 5 cans first time and 1 can a year touch up. There is a post on here not to long ago talks about it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I use Fluid Film, 4 or 5 cans first time and 1 can a year touch up. There is a post on here not to long ago talks about it.

Same. I recoat every spring or fall.

Charles

Bar oil and Wax, sticks like glue!

hillhiker
    SE MN

Wade mentioned trucks from Idaho… Watch out for them, they’re super clean! When I bought mine the dealer had a second from an Idaho auction that was spotless as far as rust, just like the 2019 I bought, but it had considerably higher miles. The other really clean trucks I found were from Quebec, and for sale in Iowa for some reason. I found 2 or 3 down there that looked really nice and low miles. Take a look at the car fax report many of the dealers offer. It gives you an idea of what you might be going to look at

I went the fluid film route after bringing it up on here. We’ll see how well it works. My old 2006 GMC was very rusty, but still a good runner and never left me stranded.

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

my 2011 tundra has 240K gets washed every 5 days, and has no rust. The kids 05 is rust free, the wives 06 Lexus is rust free, the 99 Tahoe is rust free… they all get washed every 5 days. I have the app for my local car wash. 28 bucks a month… Get one wash a day.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

So I looked up AFM and mine does have it. I park it on my concrete driveway and never has there been a leak of any kind.

Is there a product to help with oil consumption. I just have my dealer change the oil as recommended. Been a great truck for me.

btyreprich
    Rhinelander, WI

With regards to researching trucks on the internet, I used Cars.com and Autotrader.com as these 2 search sites had many filters which narrowed down the list of trucks having the features I wanted.
    I decided to buy my used truck from a new car dealer and read reviews on the dealer. I just felt “safer” buying from a new car dealer. My search would only have trucks under 50k miles – plenty of life left in them.
    I had to explain to the salesperson that we are going to finalize the deal over the phone and that I would be walking into the dealership with a check for the total amount. Not going to buy anything for the truck in the finance office.
    Many places “fought” me on this approach but I’d have no buying leverage at the car dealer if I was hundreds of miles away from home.
    Dealer where I bought my truck had the finance guy say they normally don’t sell cars over the phone – rather finalize deal in person. He further said I negotiated my purchase very well.

CaptainMusky

The only thing you can really do to stop oil consumption on the AFM engines is to get a programmer to turn it off, but even then it may still use oil. They also make these catch cans that you can install that catches some of the oil, but I dont know how effective they are. Saw some reviews on youtube.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

With regards to researching trucks on the internet, I used Cars.com and Autotrader.com as these 2 search sites had many filters which narrowed down the list of trucks having the features I wanted.
    I decided to buy my used truck from a new car dealer and read reviews on the dealer. I just felt “safer” buying from a new car dealer. My search would only have trucks under 50k miles – plenty of life left in them.
    I had to explain to the salesperson that we are going to finalize the deal over the phone and that I would be walking into the dealership with a check for the total amount. Not going to buy anything for the truck in the finance office.
    Many places “fought” me on this approach but I’d have no buying leverage at the car dealer if I was hundreds of miles away from home.
    Dealer where I bought my truck had the finance guy say they normally don’t sell cars over the phone – rather finalize deal in person. He further said I negotiated my purchase very well.

. That sounds shady. My last deal was 100% over the phone and e-mail. No issues. I’d be wary of a business told me that.

CaptainMusky

The place I bought 3 trucks from would do the entire deal over the phone and would even deliver the truck to you within the 5 state area.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Why would you buy it without looking at it? I have always lined up vehicles too look at and cash in hand. And if I’m going out of state it for private party not a stealership. I wouldn’t ever buy over the phone. Just set the deal up. Just like we did with the woman’s tahoe. But that was recently sold again.

CaptainMusky

If it were used I would definitely want to look at it, but I have been buying new and see no need to look at them.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.