First day tomorrow AM

• leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Going out after a Tom in the morning. I’m thinking of sleeping in a little then getting out there and seeing if there are some lonely birds around. A couple of years ago I had a bald eagle come in and hit my decoy. That was about the coolest thing I’ve seen whiel turkey hunting. That eagle sure seemed surprised that the turkey was just a thin rubber shell. I had to give away my position to keep him from flying off with the decoy. Steve

j_d
    Warroad, MN

Good luck tomorrow. I got a tag for the first season and bagged a gobbler on sunday. turkey hunting really drains me out for a few days but when you bag that bird it makes everything worth it. Are there alot of birds up there in your neck of the woods. I know this summer i saw a flock near hayward so they are definitely moving north. have fun with the birds.

j_d
    Warroad, MN

Good luck tomorrow. I got a tag for the first season and bagged a gobbler on sunday. turkey hunting really drains me out for a few days but when you bag that bird it makes everything worth it. Are there alot of birds up there in your neck of the woods. I know this summer i saw a flock near hayward so they are definitely moving north. have fun with the birds.

leinieman

Went out after sleeping in this morning. Not a lot of birds talking and it was pretty chilly out there with the breeze that was blowing. I managed to call in three toms all about the same size 7 or 8 inch beards by 10 am. I tried to call in a larger bird but nothing doing so headed home for lunch. I went back out this evening and set up a blind about 1/4 mile from where I was this morning. Will see if there are some toms willing to come in tomorrow. The toms that I called in today only answered twice then came in quite. So keep a sharp eye out for them and keep your movements down. I love it when they come in calling all the way and fan out and hiss and sputter at the jake decoy . Maybe tomorrow. Steve

leinieman

Went out after sleeping in this morning. Not a lot of birds talking and it was pretty chilly out there with the breeze that was blowing. I managed to call in three toms all about the same size 7 or 8 inch beards by 10 am. I tried to call in a larger bird but nothing doing so headed home for lunch. I went back out this evening and set up a blind about 1/4 mile from where I was this morning. Will see if there are some toms willing to come in tomorrow. The toms that I called in today only answered twice then came in quite. So keep a sharp eye out for them and keep your movements down. I love it when they come in calling all the way and fan out and hiss and sputter at the jake decoy . Maybe tomorrow. Steve

leinieman

Called in two hens and 1 tom this morning. Again the tom only had about a 7 or 8 inch beard? I know there are some real large birds out there so will try again in the morning. I also had a real inqusitive deer come and check out the decoys today. Nice size deer, and it’s the first time I had one come in close to look at the decoys. Maybe it was just wandering by but it looked like it turned and came in for a closer look. Steve

leinieman

Called in two hens and 1 tom this morning. Again the tom only had about a 7 or 8 inch beard? I know there are some real large birds out there so will try again in the morning. I also had a real inqusitive deer come and check out the decoys today. Nice size deer, and it’s the first time I had one come in close to look at the decoys. Maybe it was just wandering by but it looked like it turned and came in for a closer look. Steve

grouse

Man are you ever patient! You mention that you are seeing birds with only 7-8″ beards. I have had numerous occasions that I have shot these birds having 7-8″ beards that were mature gobblers. Many times in the spring these gobblers battle and fight so ferociously with each other that they knock off the other gobblers beard. You may shoot one of these birds to find that they have huge spurs, the true indicator of a mature gobbler.

On a sidenote, I am already tired and my season has not even begun yet. Does anyone else get really super tired from turkey hunting, it seems that it just takes the life right out of me.

grouse

Man are you ever patient! You mention that you are seeing birds with only 7-8″ beards. I have had numerous occasions that I have shot these birds having 7-8″ beards that were mature gobblers. Many times in the spring these gobblers battle and fight so ferociously with each other that they knock off the other gobblers beard. You may shoot one of these birds to find that they have huge spurs, the true indicator of a mature gobbler.

On a sidenote, I am already tired and my season has not even begun yet. Does anyone else get really super tired from turkey hunting, it seems that it just takes the life right out of me.

leinieman

Sometimes waiting might pay off for a larger bird and sometimes a person may end up without one. I was lucky enough to recieve 2 seasons again this year so I guess I am not in too big a rush. The last several years I shot the first bird that came in and then it was over. I just had hernia surgery a week ago and I looked back on my past years successes and changed my tacticss some. The birds that I call in usually arn’t early birds. What I mean is I here a lot gobbling early and then they die out and about 9 or so in the morning I get one to answer and come in. I have hunted a lot less this year than in the past as I must take it very easy and it seems to be paying off at least in the number of Toms that I’ve seen. I also believe there are a lot of Toms around this area just by the amount of gobbling that I here from the house in the past weeks before going to work. I am lucky enough to live right where I hunt and therefore don’t have to spend any time driving to and from a turkey area. Any time I spend time outdoors whether hunting, cutting wood, fishing, I get beat. I’m in zone 20 where are you going to be hunting?

leinieman

Sometimes waiting might pay off for a larger bird and sometimes a person may end up without one. I was lucky enough to recieve 2 seasons again this year so I guess I am not in too big a rush. The last several years I shot the first bird that came in and then it was over. I just had hernia surgery a week ago and I looked back on my past years successes and changed my tacticss some. The birds that I call in usually arn’t early birds. What I mean is I here a lot gobbling early and then they die out and about 9 or so in the morning I get one to answer and come in. I have hunted a lot less this year than in the past as I must take it very easy and it seems to be paying off at least in the number of Toms that I’ve seen. I also believe there are a lot of Toms around this area just by the amount of gobbling that I here from the house in the past weeks before going to work. I am lucky enough to live right where I hunt and therefore don’t have to spend any time driving to and from a turkey area. Any time I spend time outdoors whether hunting, cutting wood, fishing, I get beat. I’m in zone 20 where are you going to be hunting?

krisko
    Durand, WI

I envy you being out already. I only have one season and that is 5th season up north in zone 43. It is a new zone up where I bow hunt. There are tons of turkeys and never hunted or called. I can’t wait.

I just wanted to go back on the comment in the earlier post on the spurs of a turkey. Some of the turkeys where I used to hunt barley had any spurs. They were wore down from walking on the bluffs and sidehills of Pepin and Buffalo Counties. The spurs acutally mean nothing to us. I had shot a bird a couple of years ago. It was just shy of 26#s had a 10″ beard. It only had 1/2″ spurs. They were wore right down. The best way is to look at the birds size, and beard and just guess really. Any way keep staying patient and good luck!

krisko
    Durand, WI

I envy you being out already. I only have one season and that is 5th season up north in zone 43. It is a new zone up where I bow hunt. There are tons of turkeys and never hunted or called. I can’t wait.

I just wanted to go back on the comment in the earlier post on the spurs of a turkey. Some of the turkeys where I used to hunt barley had any spurs. They were wore down from walking on the bluffs and sidehills of Pepin and Buffalo Counties. The spurs acutally mean nothing to us. I had shot a bird a couple of years ago. It was just shy of 26#s had a 10″ beard. It only had 1/2″ spurs. They were wore right down. The best way is to look at the birds size, and beard and just guess really. Any way keep staying patient and good luck!

leinieman

Well didn’t need to test my patience today. I got out a little after eight and spent some time talking wth a couple of other hunters having a sandwhich. They had heard only a couple of birds and they were out since 5 am. It was cold out and I decided to set up on a grass field with small cedar trees where I have shot birds in the past. I thought with the sun warming them they may be out in the open a little. Nope. The wind picked up and I never saw a thing today. Jackie went out with me tonight and set up my portable blind for me. So tomorrow I plan on going out earlier and will see whats happening.A low tonight in Eau Claire of 26 degrees, That should make it about 22 here in the am. Brrrrrr I don’t know if turkeys like it that cold but with a full moon maybe I’ll get lucky.
    Like you say look at the bird and guess on the weight. I guess I have plenty of food in the freezer so don’t really need a turkey but my neighbor says he will pluck it for me if I get one so might have to take a shot if I get another chance. Mayday is coming up and a grilled Turkey might be good.
    Steve

leinieman

Well didn’t need to test my patience today. I got out a little after eight and spent some time talking wth a couple of other hunters having a sandwhich. They had heard only a couple of birds and they were out since 5 am. It was cold out and I decided to set up on a grass field with small cedar trees where I have shot birds in the past. I thought with the sun warming them they may be out in the open a little. Nope. The wind picked up and I never saw a thing today. Jackie went out with me tonight and set up my portable blind for me. So tomorrow I plan on going out earlier and will see whats happening.A low tonight in Eau Claire of 26 degrees, That should make it about 22 here in the am. Brrrrrr I don’t know if turkeys like it that cold but with a full moon maybe I’ll get lucky.
    Like you say look at the bird and guess on the weight. I guess I have plenty of food in the freezer so don’t really need a turkey but my neighbor says he will pluck it for me if I get one so might have to take a shot if I get another chance. Mayday is coming up and a grilled Turkey might be good.
    Steve

leinieman

Well Saturday was different. After setting up the night before and calling for a couple of hours I had a hen answer. I decided to try and get it to come in as it was very vocal and I thought LIVE DECOY!!! I messed around for at half an hour with that hen and then BAMM I heard pellets hitting the brush around me. After whistling I peecked a look out the window of my blind and both decoys were still intact and I could see someone about 45 yards away moving so I went out to talk to them. They said they didn’t know when they heard me calling if I was a hen or a hunter so they just set up . They said after awhile they heard the other hen answer and she was coming in and a gobbler was following. Yep they got the gobbler. OH well. They said they were sorry for shooting in my direction and were heading out. Sunday was again very cold and no birds were talking. I tried a few hours in the morning and the last hour of the day (after it warmed) with nothing happening. I got in some good practice calling, and spent some quality time in the woods and saw some wildlife. Another good hunting season. My next season I’ll have to see about getting a Tom for my neighbor to pluck.

Steve

leinieman

Well Saturday was different. After setting up the night before and calling for a couple of hours I had a hen answer. I decided to try and get it to come in as it was very vocal and I thought LIVE DECOY!!! I messed around for at half an hour with that hen and then BAMM I heard pellets hitting the brush around me. After whistling I peecked a look out the window of my blind and both decoys were still intact and I could see someone about 45 yards away moving so I went out to talk to them. They said they didn’t know when they heard me calling if I was a hen or a hunter so they just set up . They said after awhile they heard the other hen answer and she was coming in and a gobbler was following. Yep they got the gobbler. OH well. They said they were sorry for shooting in my direction and were heading out. Sunday was again very cold and no birds were talking. I tried a few hours in the morning and the last hour of the day (after it warmed) with nothing happening. I got in some good practice calling, and spent some quality time in the woods and saw some wildlife. Another good hunting season. My next season I’ll have to see about getting a Tom for my neighbor to pluck.

Steve

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Leinie, sounds dangerous!! That would be enough to make a guy . So did you charge them for guiding fees?

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Leinie, sounds dangerous!! That would be enough to make a guy . So did you charge them for guiding fees?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.