Truckers convoy in Canada

• Cameron white

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buschman wrote:</div>
    Trudeau issues the act. Parliament has not declared or approved. This was in meeting yesterday and the decision must be made by tomorrow. I have not seen it was declared by parliament.

This is Trudeau’s order alone right now and there is heavy opposition in their government to it.

go gettem buschman, I’m with ya on this!!! waytogo waytogo

All the liberal party is behind him on it, with the support of the ndp, who are even further left leaning than the liberals. It will pass with their support.

castle-rock-clown

Protest all you want, but when you are upsetting the flow of commerce, you are breaking the law and subject to arrest. Assemble all you want, but don’t interfere with others ability to move from point A to point B. These are pretty simple distinctions, and both the government and law enforcement has given ample warnings.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Buschman, stop listening to me and start listening to the only Canadian in this thread with some skin in the game. You and everyone else are ignoring him completely.

You accuse me of bringing liberal bs to this conversation but do you even realize that what these people claim to be fighting for are quite literally ultra-liberal values?

Have you even looked into these organizers at all? Do you understand what they stand to gain from all this? Are these people you would protest for?

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

We wanted to learn more about who has been supporting the protests and how, and for that, we turned to Steve Reilly, an investigative reporter with the startup news website Grid. Reilly and his colleagues have been looking into social media and online donation activity supporting the so-called freedom convoy protests in Canada. Reilly says they found that some of the largest social media groups galvanizing support for the demonstrators were being run by accounts outside of Canada.

STEVE REILLY: So early last week, we began looking into a network of Facebook groups with more than 300,000 followers that was encouraging people to support and donate to the protesters. What we found were that they were all administered by the account of a woman in Missouri, which we thought was interesting. Why is a woman in Missouri supporting these Canadian protests? And we looked into it further. We found her account had been, in fact, hacked into, and someone else was using it to create these Facebook groups that were galvanizing support for the protest movement.

MARTIN: Let me note here that Facebook’s parent company, Meta, pays NPR to license NPR content. That is a disclosure that we routinely make when we reference Facebook in any way. Now, according to your reporting, a couple of these Facebook groups supporting the protest were created by a marketing firm based in Bangladesh. Can you just tell us a bit more about that?

REILLY: That’s right. So Facebook shut down dozens of groups early last week that were related to these protests. We continued to look into it and found that some of the groups that continued to exist after that were connected to a marketing firm based in Bangladesh, which, again, raises questions about the authenticity of the actors behind this social media support system for the protests that are happening in the streets of Ottawa.

MARTIN: Well, just – as you just mentioned that Meta has since removed some of these groups from the platform, but you spoke to someone with that marketing firm in Bangladesh. Were you able to find out if the firm was paid to create those Facebook groups and, if so, by whom?

REILLY: The founder of the marketing group told us that he was not paid to create those groups. However, we don’t have any way of verifying that or knowing whether that’s the case. After we asked Facebook some questions about these groups, they were eventually shut down late last week. So there are questions that continue to persist about the authenticity of a lot of the online social media activity supporting these protests.

MARTIN: You also found Facebook groups filled with QAnon rhetoric and other people connected to those right-wing, conspiracy-driven movements. Based on your reporting, what’s the connection between the people organizing these protests and right-wing fringe groups like QAnon?

REILLY: Well, we don’t know precisely, but what we do know is that we’ve seen on the streets of Canada symbols of the American right, including Confederate flags and the emblem of the Three Percenters group, have shown up in the Canadian capital. And a lot of that kind of sentiment is mirrored online. We saw in some of the donation activity references to the QAnon conspiracy theory. And so there are, you know, in any protest, some mix of various ideological groups. And what we can say is that there are signs of some extremists’ group symbology showing up in these protests, both in real life and online.

MARTIN: So before we let you go, I mean, there’s sort of been rumblings about sort of a convoy-style protest in the United States. And has your reporting turned up anything about that?

REILLY: There have been rumblings, and there are people who say there are organizers of a convoy they expect or plan to have start up in the coming weeks. We don’t know whether this will come to fruition, but we do know that a lot of the support for the Canadian protests has come from the United States, both in the form of rhetoric from politicians here and some fundraising. And so we’ll see in the coming weeks whether there’s any type of similar movement here in the US.

MARTIN: That was Steve Reilly. He’s an investigative reporter at Grid news focusing on threats to democracy. Steve, thanks so much for sharing your reporting with us.

buschman
    Pool 2

Matt, don’t know what to tell ya all but to find another thread. You can take Don and start a new thread on liberal politics and how everyone with a thought of choice different than yours is a POS. I truly hope you fun with that.

Moving along on the convoy. This is another good watch.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

So pointing out facts surrounding why and where the covid convoy originated , is somehow liberal politics ? And for the record i never called you a POS those are your words .

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Move those people down from Portland Ave onto I-94 and suddenly some here would be calling for the horses to do some trampling.

Whether one agrees with the cause or not, there’s a huge difference between disruptive but peaceful protest, and riots. We need to be able to know and see the difference, and for sure the civil authorities need to know the difference and choose their response accordingly.

“We are going to have this kind of vigorous protest. My hope is that it would be non-violent. I would hope that we can avoid riots because riots are self-defeating and socially destructive.” (Martin Luther King Jr., 1966)

Attachments:
    1. Portland-Ave-pedestrian-bridge-scaled-1.jpg

stout93
    Becker MN

So pointing out facts surrounding why and where the covid convoy originated , is somehow liberal politics ? And for the record i never called you a POS those are your words .

C’mon….that was about as biased as an “interview” as I’ve ever seen.

And yeah…”Facts” LOL..

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Don Meier wrote:</div>

And yeah…”Facts” LOL..

Please enlighten me on how this investigative reporter was biased ??

stout93
    Becker MN

Please enlighten me on how this investigative reporter was biased ??

Be a smart guy and read it again dude..

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

100% biased. Not even close.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

All I need to know is if any of this BS, or some different BS is going to effect US citizens from being able to cross into Canada in Early June. I’m looking forward to try and help out some of the struggling small business’s with some of our hard earned American $’s. Oh ya, Also looking forward to a relaxing week+ catching some monster pike, Lake Trout, and Walleyes.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Move those people down from Portland Ave onto I-94 and suddenly some here would be calling for the horses to do some trampling.

I fully agree. Perfectly fine with being on the pedestrian bridge. Safe for the people and the traffic.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

These protests have been peaceful.

All I need to know is if any of this BS, or some different BS is going to effect US citizens from being able to cross into Canada in Early June. I’m looking forward to try and help out some of the struggling small business’s with some of our hard earned American $’s. Oh ya, Also looking forward to a relaxing week+ catching some monster pike, Lake Trout, and Walleyes.

While your fishing might seem important to you I don’t think the Canadian government or the protesters really care about it.

When the American protests start I don’t think anything except freeways and Washington DC will be targeted. Border crossings won’t matter unless they try and shut down the Mexican Border crossings, that would be a mess.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

While your fishing might seem important to you I don’t think the Canadian government or the protesters really care about it.

I can tell you of a fair # of Canadian residents and Business’s that care far more about my and other US fishermens’s fishing trip to Canada, than they do about the current protest and the actions of their current crappy leader and government.

I will continue to support the protest going on in Canada from afar. If and when such a protest happens on US soil, I will pay far more attention and care to it. For now, it is a cause that THEY chose to make a stand on. I would kind of like to see what our governments reaction would be to a similar situation here in the US. Only time will tell if I get a chance to see that or not.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

I can tell you of a fair # of Canadian residents and Business’s that care far more about my and other US fishermens’s fishing trip to Canada, than they do about the current protest and the actions of their current crappy leader and government.

I will continue to support the protest going on in Canada from afar. If and when such a protest happens on US soil, I will pay far more attention and care to it. For now, it is a cause that THEY chose to make a stand on. I would kind of like to see what our governments reaction would be to a similar situation here in the US. Only time will tell if I get a chance to see that or not.

well fishthumper…….there organizing that right now out in california. waytogo waytogo according to the st cloud times today!!!!!

there’s even talk one of the organizers is a DC proud boy!!!!!! rotflol rotflol

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

well fishthumper…….there organizing that right now out in california. waytogo waytogo according to the st cloud times today!!!!!

It will be interesting to see how that all plays out. Sadly my guess is that it doesn’t get off the ground, and even if it does it doesn’t gain much momentum. I would really like to see how many Americans would step up to support and join it. I would also really like to see how our government would react to and handle it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

It will be interesting to see how that all plays out. Sadly my guess is that it doesn’t get off the ground, and even if it does it doesn’t gain much momentum. I would really like to see how many Americans would step up to support and join it. I would also really like to see how our government would react to and handle it.

I see it all as stepping stones with it only getting worse because of those in power. And all because of those who put them there.

B-man

I was out on the Gunflint the last few days without internet or cell service.

Nice to see the police beat up reporters and crush elderly Native Americans with horses while I was gone (sarcasm).

It looks like there are still many protests going on throughout the rest of Canada though waytogo

CaptainMusky

crush elderly Native Americans with horses while I was gone

well she deserved it she “threw her mobility scooter at the police”. Sarcasm obviously because the media/police tells you one thing but video shows you completely another.

Brent Siebenaler

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Don Meier wrote:</div>

And yeah…”Facts” LOL..

But the little YouTube videos of some guy sitting in his mom’s basement commenting on the clips he edited out of regular MEDIA footage was unbiased? Somehow conveniently edited to NOT show what happened before or after this “trampling”? Not even suspect in the least even though the original video was recorded by….#fake news media?

buschman
    Pool 2

Somehow conveniently edited to NOT show what happened before or after this “trampling”? Not even suspect in the least even though the original video was recorded by….#fake news media?

Brent, what happened before the “trampling”. I am just curious to what you are referring to?
    There is video of the whole thing from about a dozen live feeds so not much is missing. I am not sure what happened before this so wanted to ask?

Brent Siebenaler

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brent Siebenaler wrote:</div>
    Somehow conveniently edited to NOT show what happened before or after this “trampling”? Not even suspect in the least even though the original video was recorded by….#fake news media?

Brent, what happened before the “trampling”. I am just curious to what you are referring to?
    There is video of the whole thing from about a dozen live feeds so not much is missing. I am not sure what happened before this so wanted to ask?

I haven’t watched any video other than the two YouTube clips you posted. They seemed to have very little video, and what video there was wasn’t shot by the “reporter” commenting from their basement. I was simply commenting on why that isn’t viewed as biased as well. It’s also a common comment from a certain “side” anytime video is used….but but but what happened before the video started rolling. It’s a question that same “side” conveniently never asks in incidents like this.

buschman
    Pool 2

Here is another if you need to see before and after Brent.. Pretty easy to look these up and see what you do or do not want to believe as biased. As I said there are many other live feeds from all angles if you want to hop on youtube and research for yourself.

Coletrain27

So true

Attachments:
    1. EBD948A0-A58D-4E1E-BFC8-80334BE5DDD4.png

Brent Siebenaler

Here is another if you need to see before and after Brent.. Pretty easy to look these up and see what you do or do not want to believe as biased. As I said there are many other live feeds from all angles if you want to hop on youtube and research for yourself.

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe loading=”lazy” title=”Ottawa Elderly Disabled Mohawk Woman Candice Sero TRAMPLED by Police Horses” width=”850″ height=”478″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/AsN-5EFM2FU?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>

There isn’t a video available. Why did you choose the two you posted prior?

stout93
    Becker MN

Libs now openly recommending confiscating trucks in the US.

Dem Rep. Ruben Gallego wants the government to seize trucks participating in the DC convoy and redistribute them.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Protest all you want, but when you are upsetting the flow of commerce, you are breaking the law and subject to arrest. Assemble all you want, but don’t interfere with others ability to move from point A to point B. These are pretty simple distinctions, and both the government and law enforcement has given ample warnings.

All of the peaceful protests in the twin cities in recent memory have disrupted commerce, some of it even disrupted interstate commerce. I’m curious why the same measures weren’t taken then that are actively being deployed now to try to stop the trucker convoy in the US?

Viewing 30 posts - 841 through 870 (of 880 total)

The topic ‘Truckers convoy in Canada’ is closed to new replies.