Transom replacement

• Ryan P
    Farmington

Hey Everyone,

Got a 2004 Crestliner Angler 1600 SC with a transom that is rotting. I’ve been reading a lot about this and it seems I have two options. Spend some time and fix it myself or take it somewhere and spend even more money. Does anyone have any experience with either. I’ve called a couple marine places and am having a hard time finding someone that does it. Any references or advice is greatly appreciated. I just wanna go fishing.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Anchor Marine in Delano does this. They do very good work in my opinion.

Ryan P
    Farmington

I actually just talked to Vic. Really nice guy and very knowledgeable. Not gonna lie the quote really hurt though.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I actually just talked to Vic. Really nice guy and very knowledgeable. Not gonna lie the quote really hurt though.

The quote does hurt. The price of a new boat also will hurt. Your options are fix it, trade it in, dump it on some poor unsuspecting guy.

If you like the boat get it fixed properly and it will last a good long time.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

George’s in East Bethel.

I think they quoted me about $4000 for my 2004 Fish Hawk.

Ryan P
    Farmington

George’s in East Bethel.

I think they quoted me about $4000 for my 2004 Fish Hawk.

That’s exactly what he said to me. Did you have it fixed? I’m confused because they keep saying that they have to cut support pieces out and re weld them in to get it done but all of the information I’m seeing online doesn’t agree with that. I’ve also seen online that people have been quoted $1000-$1500 for the fix. I’m so confused. Think I may pull out the decking this weekend and investigate.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

$4k?

I’m in the wrong business.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I might be way off on that price. That may have included replacing all the wood and carpet. Give them a call and they should be able to give you a ballpark figure.

I did not have it fixed. I ended up just selling it. I wanted no part of having a boat with a wood deck and carpet anymore.

KG25
    Lakeville, MN

Hey Everyone,

Got a 2004 Crestliner Angler 1600 SC with a transom that is rotting. I’ve been reading a lot about this and it seems I have two options. Spend some time and fix it myself or take it somewhere and spend even more money. Does anyone have any experience with either. I’ve called a couple marine places and am having a hard time finding someone that does it. Any references or advice is greatly appreciated. I just wanna go fishing.

I just replaced my transom this spring on a 1995 Alumacraft Lunker 16ft tiller. Haven’t got it on the water yet as I am finishing up wiring on a new trolling motor. Took me a couple of weeks to finish it. Pretty labor intensive, but I’m an accountant by trade and was able to do it all myself with the tools I have with the exception of needing 2 sets of hands a couple of times.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3377.jpg

disco bobber

I got a rough quote on 4000 or so last year for an 06 Scrapliner 18 Sportsman. Gibbons Fiberglass in Bismarck. When labor charge is $100 and hour not hard to ring up a bill real fast. I ended up doing it all myself. I took the motor off and had to make a couple of cuts in the aluminum to get the wood out. I took the wood out and took it into them so they could build a new transom. I had one done out of composite materials that ended up costing me 1200. It costs another hundred to get the aluminum welded back together at my local shop. It would have been 300 cheaper to have them build one with marine plywood and fiberglass.

I heard afterward there is a guy in Melrose, MN that will build one a lot cheaper.

I beefed up a couple of rafters in the garage and borrowed a chain hoist. I wouldn’t have needed the hoist if I thought of just using the tongue jack on the trailer. It takes time to cut the soggy wet foam away and clean things up right. I am glad I did it myself for that reason. It is not something a guy should have to do on a ten year old boat.

Steve Kracht

Got my Pro Guide done a few years back at Rapid marine in Ham Lake.

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

I had my transom replaced on my 1984 Alumacraft Backtroller 17 last summer. I got a quote from Alumacraft for between $2000 and $4000 over the phone. I asked if they could be a “little bit” more precise on the quote and I was told if I brought the boat to them so their techs could look at it they could be a”little bit” more precise. It’s a 5 hour trip for me one way to their location and figured I am not going to trailer a boat for 10 hours round trip to find out it would be $3999.00. Boat replacement would be the option for that price!! I contacted Centerville Steelworks and got a quote for repair. The quote was $1000 which was accepted and I have to say the work was very well done. I dropped the boat off with 50hp motor still on it and Victor took care of the rest. End of story, he came in under quote! Don’t see that very often!!

Steve Kracht

Can’t recall off the top of my head.
    Seemed like a couple grand.
    I will look back and see if I can get you something better.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

~ 2 years ago I replaced mine. ’87 Sylvan profisherman 17′.

Find a small local guy.
    Mine was $600 and I tipped too.

Travis

I just did my 02 crestliner fishhawk. wasn’t really too bad, just plan plenty of time. Not to scare anyone, but when I pulled mine out it was worse than I thought. Need something to pull the motor of coarse and be sure to use marine grade plywood. I epoxied mine so it should hopefully last longer. I’d do it again, that is for sure, which is good because my buddies crestliner is going to need it soon!

Here’s a pic with it out, kind of helps see what you’re getting into.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20160924_142728538.jpg

brunn
    Andover, MN

I had the transom/floor on my 2004 Lund redone by George’s last spring. I’ll check the bill when I get home but I think it was $2500 for the transom. Was told they replace the wood with treated lumber that is supposed to last 50 years.

Ryan P
    Farmington

Well I’m heading up to Anchor to get an estimate today. Wish me luck. I’m not sure when I’ll find time to do it and am thinking hopefully it will help someday when I want to sell the boat and upgrade. I’m not sure how I would feel buying a boat that someone fixed their-selves rather than having a pro do it.

Ryan P
    Farmington

I left the boat at Anchor and they said I’ll have it back by Memorial Day weekend. This was one of my main concerns cause I have plans to use it. This is going to cost me more than doing it myself but if it means I can use the boat this summer rather than spend a few weeks fixing it I’m ok with it. I’ll follow up on how it goes in case anyone else is wondering in the future.

djshannon
    Crosslake

What was their cost estimate?

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

I just did my 02 crestliner fishhawk. wasn’t really too bad, just plan plenty of time. Not to scare anyone, but when I pulled mine out it was worse than I thought.

What did you see that indicated there was an issue with your transom in the first place?

Ryan P
    Farmington

What did you see that indicated there was an issue with your transom in the first place?
    [/quote]

On mine I was going across the lake and hit some waves and after the water flattened back out the motor kept rocking forward and back. Decided to take a closer look and took the screws out of the cap…the wood was spongy and I could push a screw driver right down in the wood. Also it looked like the motor bolts were sucked in.

What was their cost estimate?

The estimate was just under $3,000. They are the only place I actually took the boat but I talked to 4 shops and they were right in the middle. Highest I got was $4,500. Did some poking around online and on IDO and read some good things about them. When I went up and talked to them the were good to deal with and answered all of my questions. I wish I could have just taken a week off work and did it myself but I can’t and I don’t want to be without a boat for too long. So far I’m happy with the decision. I’ll post an update when I get my boat back.

jetro
    Mayer, MN

I just replaced the transom in my 97 Lund Pro Angler SS. I had Midwest Boat Appeal cut, epoxy and seal the new plywood which is Phillipine Meranti 13 layer. I tore it all apart and put it all back together myself. My transom board was 1 5/8″ which required three pieces of plywood. The board was $850, one tube of marine silicone and two new drain tubes. It took me and my son about 4hours to tear it apart and I probably had 12 hours to put it back together.

Attachments:
    1. 20170325_184250.jpg

2. 20170325_142222.jpg

jetro
    Mayer, MN

New board

Attachments:
    1. 20170422_130938.jpg

Travis

Couple things, tilted the motor up and push on it good, if it wiggles at all == bad. I tried tightening bolts and they just sucked in, bad sign. Bubbling paint by screws, I pulled a screw out and stuck a screw driver in and didn’t bottom out. Pulled the cover in the splash pan and felt the transom was soft and could peel some pieces off.

I bought the boat this way, it was a pretty good deal as the motor had very low hours. I researched the transom replacement and seemed doable. 2 sheets of 5/8″ marine plywood was enough to glue up the 3 pieces. Epoxy, paint, and a bunch of new stainless screws and bolts, probably less then $300 into it, just some time in the garage.

Andrew Swenson

Ryan, how did everything turn out? I brought my boat to anchor marine also this week for the same thing.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

New board

waytogo Should have made 2, the other for a display or something.
    Good work.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I’m in the process of replacing the transom on my old 78′ starcraft.
    Process seems simple. The transome I’ll take a different approach. Marine ply wood encapsulated in truck bed liner. My labor free, matarial max $200. From the abuse ive seen bedliner takes and the exposure to the elements why not try it?

Ryan P
    Farmington

Ryan, how did everything turn out? I brought my boat to anchor marine also this week for the same thing.

It’s fixed. They finished by Memorial Day weekend like I asked. I was a little frustrated when I got home because I found some scratches on the motor and transom that weren’t there before. Everyone including my wife says I’m to picky though. Only other thing I was a little frustrated about is they called me a couple days after I dropped it off and they pulled the motor off and said it was going to cost more because they missed some things on the estimate. At that point I really couldn’t say no cause they already started the work and them missing stuff on the estimate seemed odd because they told me they have done several of those boats. All in all it’s fixed so I’m happy. I just hope it lasts longer than it did from the factory. Good luck with yours!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.