Too much rust??

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have a traditions Muzzle loader that is (or was) a 200 yrd tack driver. Got it back from a friend that borrowed it last year and the barrel was horribly rusted. Obviously not cleaned after being shot.

So, I brushed the hell out of it and soaked in oil. Was looking ok, so I left a oiled rag in it for the last month or so. Pulled it out and pulled the tag. Still has a crap load of surface rust in barrel. Rifling looks fine.

So the ultimate question. How much rust is too much to NOT shoot it?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow, I’m sorry that happened to you

I think I’d be comfortable if the rust was not beyond the rifling, but I’d be nervous as hell. If the rust is more restrictive than the rifling I would not shoot it, or I would rig to shoot it remotely with a string or something. I have read your comments enough to know you have common sense, don’t forget to use it.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Ive heard guys use a brass brush and scrub the heck out of it. The Stainless barrel is harder than the brass and won’t be affected. Then maybe soak in oil and dry? I guess Id be curious to know the cutoff as well. I know my Accura has a slight amount of rust, and it shoots accurately.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Ive heard guys use a brass brush and scrub the heck out of it. The Stainless barrel is harder than the brass and won’t be affected. Then maybe soak in oil and dry? I guess Id be curious to know the cutoff as well. I know my Accura has a slight amount of rust, and it shoots accurately.

That is exactly what I did. After a sat with an oily rag in it, the rust came back

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I would say if if you can load it with about the same pressure as before i would think you’d be ok.

Snake ii’s

I would enlist help from the friend to ensure they understand the scope of the issue. Good deeds never go unpunished……….

Tom schmitt

Is the rust localized or is it evenly distributed?
    You could try a nonimbeading bore scrubbing compound.
    Very similar to a lapping compound.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’d take it to a gunsmith. There’s a guy in SE Minnesota at BRO Outfitters that builds them from scratch and knows every detail there is to know about muzzle loaders. He’s got all the training and experience in the world. A Google search and quick phone call to him would probably give you a very educated opinion on it.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I have had very good results in polishing a bore by using one of these cloths (small square of it) on a cleaning jag.
    “Quickly removes leading, burn rings, carbon residue including copper and plastic fouling, rust and tarnish.”

https://dnwoutdoors.com/lead-remover-polishing-cloth/?msclkid=42eb77a4ddfb1d8cf3281632b2bdbe00&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20-%20Shop%20-%20Firearm%20Accessories&utm_term=4588605622590708&utm_content=556276%20%7C%20Lead%20Remover%20Polishing%20Cloth%20%7C%20%247.99

Several brands to choose from. I think the one I have used is “Lead Away” but I imagine they are all the same chemical makeup.

JEREMY
    BP

Mine was like that. Cleaned it the best i could. After shooting a few times and cleaning it again alot of it was gone. Maybe the heat?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.