tilt trim issue

• mike carroll

ok, the saga continues. I have a 2018 1775 pro guide with a 90 mercury. At first I would notice that my motor would leak down about 3″ a night. so I took it back to my dealer and he replaced the little needle valves in the trim pump. well that didn’t work. so he replaced the whole trim unit. It was fine for 2 weeks . now I go on a trip and notice my motor dropped all the way in 1 night. now when I get on plane I can watch my motor leak down . I have to keep trimming it back up. called dealer and he ordered another trim unit. ugggg thinking about paying the $3300 difference between the mercury and Yamaha and just put a Yamaha on. need you alls thoughts.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Is there any fluid on the outside of the unit? Look under your motor.

mike carroll

I don’t thinks so, boat is in the water and haven’t noticed any oil slick back there.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I had a 2004 mercury that had tilt/trim issues. A motor mechanic said these units were notorious for metal chips being left in during the manufacturing/assembly process.

Sounds like a possibility to me.

robby
    Quad Cities

China.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

If you are not leaking and fluid whether it be within the boat or external, then it would seem to me it would have something to do along the lines of the bypass eals and valves? Don’t know.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Hopefully as new as it is, it’s still under warranty. As much of a pain it is to keep bringing it back to the dealer, I would continue to do that until the dealer makes it right with you. I wouldn’t want to spend the xtra $3300 either. I would just keep it in the dealers face until they get it right. Unfortunately your losing good boat time while the issue is getting resolved.
    Did you buy it from this dealer? If so, even more of a reason to put it on them.

mike carroll

ya I bought it from a dealer, he had been pretty good about it so far, he said he has sold hundreds of 90s and never had to replace the trim unit twice so hopefully the 3rd time is a charm. just very irritating on a brand new boat.

mike carroll

ok, update. got the 3rd trim unit on and reprogrammed the trim limiter, seems to be working fine for now. fingers are crossed

KPE
    River Falls, WI

China.

Except mercs above 75hp are still made in Wisconsin.

Sounds like this is a lemon, and Merc/ the dealership need to rectify it. believe it or not this happens once in a while in all industries and this is where Merc needs to make good on their warranty.

mike carroll

my dealer did say that the the some of the trim units are made in China, and they did have a bad lot run, so hopefully they put one on from a different lot number., so far good to go. fingers are crossed.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.