Thoughts on Ground Blinds

• badgerfishing
    Wausau

I love late season hunting because thats when I see the most deer but the bad thing is they dont walk onto the field in front of my stand at this time because there is no food left there. We plant corn and soybeans and they hit the soybeans as hard as you can imagine. So last year I set up in the corn and had great success but definitely wasnt concealed as well as I needed to be.

So I was thinking of investing in a ground blind this year to set up in the corn to hunt the soybeans. I want to know what you guys have had success with as far as room and ease of set up but mostly what can withstand the elements. I plan on setting it up in november or even earlier and leaving it out there until january. I would like it to have enough room for two people (probably will be filming) and to be able to bow hunt from. Concealment shouldnt be much of an issue putting it in the corn field.

Tim Reszler
    Kenosha

I don’t have a ton of experience but the experience I do have has shown me if you leave it out for an extended period of time the deer do not get use to it they learn how to avoid it. My best hunts from ground blinds have been last minute set ups and brush them in to the point were its hard for you to see them knowing they are there. However I did go out with my younger cousin and we set a blind up in the middle of a picked corn field. An hour before dark we had deer in every direction within 50 yes of the blind. A good buddy heater will roast you out of a ground blind even in the coldest temps. If you get one spend the money and get a larger one. Can never have enough room. I own a double bull blind and love it.

sktrwx2200

When I set mine up for the long haul. I try to use a big tree/fence or something solid to tie a couple or more of the guide lines to something solid. Because of it being out in the wind for months , you never know which direction you will have your 30-40 mph gusts. Make sure it is pinned down really good. Don’t ever want to be sneaking out to the blind in the dark to find no blind anymore!
    When I put it in the corn, I take with me for set up 3 steel fence posts and bang them in as far as I can and then attach the guide lines to those posts. Obviously don’t put a post in front of you.

Also I use either 4x4s or larger logs to lay around the skirting along the bottom, and stakes on the inside corners.

This method works for through the whole season Sept.- Dec. for me.

Also Primos BrushLock is a great $30 product that works awesome for brushing in the blind with corn stocks.
    http://www.primos.com/products/ground-blinds/brush-lock/

As far a which blind to select there are tons of models. I be sure to purchase a middle of road model. (not $500 dollars sitting out there all year, or not $79 that is loud with Velcro or something that wont last a few seasons either) With the most important features being the material is not really shiny, the more matte finishes will help you out. Also look at the window systems, see how you will get this window or that window open with out making noise.

For me I’ve had good luck with the Barronett Grounder 250, good bang for the buck. I can afford to have a couple of them out in different locations.

http://www.barronettblinds.com/foundations/store/shopdetail.asp?params=GR250BT*110**Grounder__250_Hunting_Blind_with_BLOODTRAIL__Camo

Good luck

badgerfishing
    Wausau

Thanks fellas!
    I think I almost have to go with a ground blind just because during late season last year sitting out in the negative wind chills in a corn patch I definitely didnt want to be there. But I will look at the Barronett blinds for sure. They are definitely a little better priced than the ameristep ones I was looking at. Thanks for the thoughts on the bigger ground stakes to tie it to though because that is something I would have over looked.

mattgroff

Don’t go cheap. You will regret it.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have shappell tree house 360’s. Love them. Easy packing, set up, and tear down.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

HOw about durability in the snow. Last year in WI mine was a busted mess after a snowfall ever with center top support tied to overhanging limb

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Agree with Tim’s advice above about set up and location. I made the mistake of trying to put the blind up where it was visible from the field. Wrong answer! Deer simply quit using that half of the field and would only come out on the other side. They seem to know that if something looks wrong, they should stay away.

I started prepping what I called “blind alleys”. They are sites where I have a cleared spot for the blind, and then a couple of thin “sight lanes” lightly cleared so I have visibility to the target area where I think the deer will be. Field, road, fenceline, whatever.

It’s just as Tim said above, the idea is to make it as difficult as possible for them to even see the blind.

Grouse

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

In a situation like you’re talking about I would put it out early in the season, probably even in the summer. If you are going to do a pop up ground blind, expect to buy a new one every year because the elements do a number on them.

Could you possibly built a semi permanent stand? Something with plywood and 2x4s? It would probably be cheaper and definitely more permanent?

Otherwise I’ve had exceptional luck with the Rogers Vision Blind. All it is, is a re branded Primos blind for Rogers.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/rogers-vision-blind-bg3500s.html

I’ve had one for 3 years now and I’m shocked at how well my $99 investment has held up. Granted, the longest I’ve left it up is 3 weeks but I probably set it up for 20 to 30 days out of the season somewhere.

I always brush my blinds in to the nines. Just like stubbling a layout blind. Every single stubble strap jammed full of brush or stubble.

If you’re going to leave the blind out I like Sktrwx2100’s post idea to anchor it. Also, to help with caving in, I’d pick up one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Primos-Blind-Stabilizer-Roof-Support/dp/B004WIU2L8

Cody hesseltine
    Maryland

I like rhino blinds. They are a well made quality blind. Had zero issues with mine other then snow broke a pole. The earlier you get it out there the better.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.