Thoughts and Prayers to the Burnsville PD and EMS

• B-man

Tragic news this morning in Burnsville. Two officers and one EMS were killed while responding to a domestic call. I heard that the shooter died from a self-inflicted gunshot.

Please keep the families and friends of those involved in your thoughts.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240218-114330-1.png

Dan
    Southeast MN

Nothing but love, respect, gratitude, and support for all law enforcement, very tough news to hear.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Very Sad deal, two 27 year olds and a 40 year old lost their lives.

MX1825

Prayers sent to the families. Just a horrible thing to happen.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Senseless. At least the shooter won’t be going to trial on this earth.

Thoughts & prayers to the families.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Sadly many people don’t realize that police officers, firefighters, and EMT’s put their life’s on the line every day they go to work. Everyone needs to start showing these people the respect and gratitude they deserve. They show up to work each day with one goal in mind, to go home safe at the end of their shift. Today three of them did not. Prayers to their family and friends.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Rough day here. I taught and coached one of the young officers who was killed (Matthew Ruge) and his sister too.

He was always polite, pleasant, and seemed about as innocent as a teenager could ever be. He was the type of kid you hope your daughters take a liking to some day.

I’ll never understand this world.

Nitrodog

This one hits close to home. Our 16 year son is involved in a near by departments police explorer program. A few of his instructors our on the swat team that responded today.

Tom schmitt

After working for Burnsville for 30 years I can pretty much say I never met a Burnsville cop who wasn’t a nice person.

robby
    Quad Cities

Rest easy Brothers.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Rest easy heroes, with all the love and support imaginable to your families.

I know it’s early so a lot of details to still come out, but I’ve read the EMS responder was shot trying to get to one of the police officers who had been shot. Him leaving a secure position and risking his life to try and save another is legitimate Medal of Honor criteria in the military. Tell his damn story for the rest of time.

Attachments:
    1. 20240218_212450.jpg

B-man

This one hits close to home. Our 16 year son is involved in a near by departments police explorer program. A few of his instructors our on the swat team that responded today.

Same here Nitro.

My brother-in-law is a Minneapolis police officer and his brother is a Bloomington Police officer. I’m sure they know some of the same people. They’re both small town “kids” from Wisconsin like me (my relatives^).

I’ll never understand what the Fu#k is wrong with people to do things like this.

Bucky, words are beyond me for you brother

Umy
    South Metro

Amen Dan.
    I had 22 years working in Burnsville – GREAT FORCE! Worked with them all the time.
    One of their officers was in the childcare care program as a second grader that I ran when I first started there. THANK GOD he and his family were on vacation and out of harms way. My heart goes out to the the families and their colleagues – I know many of them.
    The shooter has history – curious to se how long it takes to come out and the fallout from it.
    Senseless and tragic…….

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Three of my friends from medic school are on Burnsville FD and the Chief is one of my old instructors. Spent the morning trying to find out of they were ok. Hate it when this happens.

CaptainMusky

Was this a domestic situation or what? It doesnt change the fact that these brave men risked their life, but the fact that they were put in that situation and savagely killed is so damn irritating. RIP brave men.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

What a sad deal. Thoughts my thoughts and prayers go out to the families, friends, and co workers of these men.

Same here They’re both small town “kids” from Wisconsin like
    [/quote]

Actually Paul Elmstrand is from the Isanti MN area.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yes domestic. With a bunch of kids in the home. From what I’ve heard is they were negotiating with him and he all of a sudden opened up on them. The FF was the swat medic and got hit while he was trying to pull one of them out.

CaptainMusky

The FF was the swat medic and got hit while he was trying to pull one of them out.

Disgusting situation all around I heard this yesterday.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Not to sidetrack or take away from the Sad situation, But watching the press conference they keep saying the investigation is still ongoing and the official findings will be available at a later time. I guess I’m a little unclear of what really needs investigating. The shooter is dead ( Thankfully !!! ) The How’s and Why really don’t seem to matter much. Maybe it just me that see it this way.
    Next time you see a firemen or police officer, Thank them and shake their land. These people deserve to know there are people who Thank them for what they do.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The How’s and Why really don’t seem to matter much. Maybe it just me that see it this way.

A full investigation still needs to be done regardless of the outcome. It’s still unclear to me if the shooter committed suicide or if he was shot by authorities. Every situation like this can be useful for future encounters like this.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

A full investigation still needs to be done regardless of the outcome. It’s still unclear to me if the shooter committed suicide or if he was shot by authorities. Every situation like this can be useful for future encounters like this.

Maybe you are correct. I just see a full blown investigation as a waste of tax payers $ and a waste of police manpower hours. As far as if he committed suicide or was shot by law enforcement does not matter one bit to me. Either way I’m just happy he is dead.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This is why a full investigation is needed. People tend to jump to conclusions and point fingers without the facts.

You are correct though, the suspect is obviously dead so we won’t be getting any information from him. I don’t even think they’ve released his name yet either. Maybe they have. I could have just missed it.

castle-rock-clown

Domestic violence calls are the worst. People in a mental situation where every ounce of common sense is abandoned and people will do things they would never even contemplate 99% of the other times in their lives. These brave responders don’t know what to expect, and in this case it was the worst. Gods speed.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Just saw an update on Yahoo about the killer.

The man who fatally shot two Burnsville police officers and a firefighter was a 38-year-old who pleaded guilty to assault with a dangerous weapon from a 2007 case. He petitioned the court in 2020 to have his gun rights restored, which a judge denied.

Shannon Cortez Gooden was found dead in the home, where he was a renter, according to law enforcement sources and other records.

CaptainMusky

Another criminal who shouldn’t have had a gun the now they’ll want to punish law abiding citizens again.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think the bigger question now, if what bzzsaw posted is true, is how he had access to a firearm to begin with if the judge denied his request in 2020. No need to add more laws here, just enforce the ones already on the books. My guess is that he acquired one illegally so any new firearms laws or restrictions would have been a moot point. This is the sort of information that will be found when a full investigation is performed, and needed.

I am not up to date on the details of this so this is just a guess.

Hard Water Fan
    Shieldsville

I didn’t post anything on this yesterday because I didn’t know what to add.

But I do find it disgusting when politicians that have been undermining law enforcement for years suddenly feel the need to tweet their support.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 74 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.