This is an April Fools joke right?

• RVRDUX
    Dakota, MN

40mpg by 2026

If they can do it great but seems pretty unrealistic to get my 13mpg truck to a truck that will get 40mpg.

Thanks,
    RVRDUX

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I just ordered a new 2026 chevy duramax can’t wait. Sounds like my daughter when she rides her snowmobile. It’s a little 4 stroke and get about 22-30 mpg. She says it actually makes gas when you ride it.

Reef W

40mpg by 2026

If they can do it great but seems pretty unrealistic to get my 13mpg truck to a truck that will get 40mpg.

Thanks,
    RVRDUX

Your truck doesn’t get 28mpg now and won’t have to get 40mpg in 2026. It’s the fleet average, not every vehicle.

RVRDUX
    Dakota, MN

Thanks Reef, I missed the fleet part of the article.

Thanks,
    RVRDUX

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Electric cars in the fleet will make your truck make it.

haleysgold
    SE MN

I just ordered a new 2026 chevy duramax can’t wait. Sounds like my daughter when she rides her snowmobile. It’s a little 4 stroke and get about 22-30 mpg. She says it actually makes gas when you ride it.

Probably shouldn’t ask cause I feel dumb for some reason but…can you actually do that? Order a 2026 truck in 2022?
    Or is that part of the April Fools joke?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Don’t think for one second the government is going to let you be on the high end of the “average”. Their end-goal is to eliminate gas powered vehicles and make you buy an electric. And just like everything else these days YOU WILL CONFORM or else you can pay a non-conformers penalty.

I just got done spending over $4K in repairs to my F150 not to mention the turbo rebuilds that are needed. NONE of these repairs would’ve been needed for EV. I’m about 75% sure my next will be electric. Waiting to see how the range plays out in the next couple years. The EPA just confirmed 360 miles of range for the Lightning. Hoping when they release the longer wheelbase models in 2023 they’ll have a larger battery.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’d bet that nationally the fleet average by 2026 easily hits 40mpg. Even if 1/5 of the population has electric vehicles, the mark will be hit. The number of vehicles licensed in MN is peanuts compared to other places. When we were in Palm Springs this winter I’d bet close to 1/5 of the vehicles we saw were already electric.

The truck from the buildings that I drove today runs on propane. It might be my daily driver from here forward if gas prices stay where they are considering we are averaged in bulk at around $0.97 a gallon.

Brad Dimond

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>supercat wrote:</div>

Probably shouldn’t ask cause I feel dumb for some reason but…can you actually do that? Order a 2026 truck in 2022?

Guessing 2022. 6 is right above the 2 on the 10-key pad. If you fat finger as often as me, it makes sense.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigfatcroixbaby wrote:</div>
    Don’t think for one second the government is going to let you be on the high end of the “average”. Their end-goal is to eliminate gas powered vehicles and make you buy an electric. And just like everything else these days YOU WILL CONFORM or else you can pay a non-conformers penalty.

I just got done spending over $4K in repairs to my F150 not to mention the turbo rebuilds that are needed. NONE of these repairs would’ve been needed for EV. I’m about 75% sure my next will be electric. Waiting to see how the range plays out in the next couple years. The EPA just confirmed 360 miles of range for the Lightning. Hoping when they release the longer wheelbase models in 2023 they’ll have a larger battery.

rotflol

Yea but your ev battery will cost much more to replace than that. That’s just the batttery….
    EV’s are generations away from being practical for most people.

I remember debating oil change intervals with you a couple years ago. Now your EcoBoost needed 4k in repairs and needs turbos? Fyi dirty oil is the leading cause of failures in those engines.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I thought those eco boosts were the cream of the crop. Those little turbo engines haven’t had a solid chance after 150k since the day they were born. And that’s if they were well cared for since day 1. Ev isn’t any where near sufficient for a long long time. Any idea what ware house lift batteries cost to replace? Now instead of a fork lift dealt with from time to time, imagine a daily road driver

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>supercat wrote:</div>

Correct part of the joke.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

It’s not generations til EV’s are mainstream. Tesla ranks close to top 10 in total vehicle sales in NA already. Demand is driving this.

They absolutely don’t work for some people…but for the vast majority of commuters they are a better option than gas.

If you tow consistently they aren’t an option yet, they also aren’t an option depending on where you drive given the charging infrastructure.

Electric vehicles are the future and it’s not some huge conspiracy. Gas will be around for generations but we need more energy independence. Even Musk says we need to produce more oil on our own since EV’s aren’t ready yet. It will probably be a balance between the two til long after we’re gone.

Plus, electric cars are fast as hell. The flat torque curve of electric motors are amazing. If you can’t get behind that I can’t be your friend….and I’m a guy who owns a couple big displacement V8 cars. Teslas give them a run for their money every time…and against the plaid model it’s not even a race.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It’s not generations til EV’s are mainstream. Tesla ranks close to top 10 in total vehicle sales in NA already. Demand is driving this.

They absolutely don’t work for some people…but for the vast majority of commuters they are a better option than gas.

If you tow consistently they aren’t an option yet, they also aren’t an option depending on where you drive given the charging infrastructure.

Electric vehicles are the future and it’s not some huge conspiracy. Gas will be around for generations but we need more energy independence. Even Musk says we need to produce more oil on our own since EV’s aren’t ready yet. It will probably be a balance between the two til long after we’re gone.

Plus, electric cars are fast as hell. The flat torque curve of electric motors are amazing. If you can’t get behind that I can’t be your friend….and I’m a guy who owns a couple big displacement V8 cars. Teslas give them a run for their money every time…and against the plaid model it’s not even a race.

It’s not really a argument. All my tools are 480 3 phase electric. You should see how fast motors with extreme torque die and the repair costs. I could only imagine when that’s solely battery and no house power. My brother has a tesla. And I’ve heard about the million down falls. But for him being a doc in the city it works for him, until it needs its update and didn’t charge. Or it charged and only shows 38 miles left.
    I agree 1 day will be sufficient, but not now. And till then, I’ll follow up and finish how great the eco boost is from 3 4 years ago

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

It’s not really a argument. All my tools are 480 3 phase electric. You should see how fast motors with extreme torque die and the repair costs. I could only imagine when that’s solely battery and no house power. My brother has a tesla. And I’ve heard about the million down falls. But for him being a doc in the city it works for him, until it needs its update and didn’t charge. Or it charged and only shows 38 miles left.
    I agree 1 day will be sufficient, but not now. And till then, I’ll follow up and finish how great the eco boost is from 3 4 years ago

One thing we can all agree upon…the eco boost sucks.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

What happens to an ecoboost at 150k?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I remember debating oil change intervals with you a couple years ago. Now your EcoBoost needed 4k in repairs and needs turbos? Fyi dirty oil is the leading cause of failures in those engines.

How long should they last with 4k oil changes?

Rebuilds were quoted at around $350/ea.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

My fishing partner beats the pi** out of his daily driver F150 eco boost pulling overweight trailers, driving across fields, hauling a decent sized bobcat…and he’s at somewhere north of 220k miles with nothing notable for repairs outside of what you’d expect.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

It falls apart and you get a hemi.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If I can ask, what’s the 4k worth of work.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Front differential rebuild (bearings shot), timing chain cover gasket replacement due to leakage, timing chain replacement (preventative since they were in there) and vacuum lockout hubs (3rd time). I think it was closer to $3.5k but I had a valve cover gasket replaced last summer due to leakage as well. None of the leaks were enough to make it to my garage floor. Just caked on the engine.

Had them investigate a turbo/exhaust chirp. Assumed it was the turbos.

Back to my original comment since this was about EVs, none of these would’ve been necessary in an ev.

Hey

Nah. Top lithium producers are Australia, Chile, China, Argentina, Brazil, then Zimbabwe.

Great strategy to build your economy around this group.

Ahh you need copper as well for all this free electricity. So top producers are Chile, Peru, China, and the Congo. Then comes the US but can’t mine copper here so let someone else do it.

What about Nickel. Indonesia, Philippines, Russia, New Caledonia, Canada, Australia, China.

Cobalt? Congo, Russia, Australia, Philippines, Cuba, Madagascar.

Great national strategy.

And where does all this “free” electricity come from? Coal, nuclear , and natural gas.

Keep believing all this BS is the future. Gonna be like Germany a slave to Russiain oil and natural gas.

Is there a war in Ukraine right now? I guess this will be the war to end all wars for the millionth time in the history of the world.

It’s all about supply chain. We can be absolutely energy independent, economic independent, and a powerhouse country for generations with our oil and gas.

But let’s pay $4-$6 dollars a gallon with less than 2% Russian oil cut off from our economy.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

If you haven’t noticed with recent events we live in a global economy.

And who mentioned “free” electricity? There are costs and trade offs with everything. I mentioned we’ll be reliable on oil and gas for along time. Maybe an approach where we develop electric while we reduce our reliance on foreign oil? It doesn’t have to be all or nothing.

Notice where many of these resources don’t come from…The Middle East. We have better trading partners for these resources. Plus, we have opportunities for more mfg jobs along with new infrastructure development with electric.

We have copper and nickel mines in the US but that’s been controversial due to potential environmental impact. So yeah, let someone else do it for now.

Keep believing oil and gas are the future. That ship has sailed and it’s not some vast conspiracy theory.

Hey

If you haven’t noticed with recent events we live in a global economy.

And who mentioned “free” electricity? There are costs and trade offs with everything. I mentioned we’ll be reliable on oil and gas for along time. Maybe an approach where we develop electric while we reduce our reliance on foreign oil? It doesn’t have to be all or nothing.

Notice where many of these resources don’t come from…The Middle East. We have better trading partners for these resources. Plus, we have opportunities for more mfg jobs along with new infrastructure development with electric.

We have copper and nickel mines in the US but that’s been controversial due to potential environmental impact. So yeah, let someone else do it for now.

Keep believing oil and gas are the future. That ship has sailed and it’s not some vast conspiracy theory.

Do you understand what a global economy means?

Our oil and gas comes from the US, Canada, Mexico for the most part. Around 18% comes from the Middle East and others. We could end that today and get 100% ourselves.

How do we develop electric when we don’t have the resources to do this? Partner with Chile?

I like when you say notice where many of these resources don’t come from. The Middle East. I stated the top producers/exporters. You obviously have no idea the amount of global supply that exists in the Middle East that is untapped. Look at Afghanistan for example.

More manufacturing jobs for electric? Please link these. It’s pure fantasy. We won’t even mine copper in the US. Please post a link that details massive copper expansion in the US.

Your ship is dead at the docks. It can’t even sail but you refuse to see it

What happened when Germany got rid of nuclear power and embraced Russian oil and gas? Any lessons here?

All these battery’s. Where do they come from?

We need to teach chemistry to today’s youth instead of all this liberal BS.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Our oil and gas comes from the US, Canada, Mexico for the most part. Around 18% comes from the Middle East and others. We could end that today and get 100% ourselves.

Keeping 100% of it ourselves would not be representative of a free market. That would crush the domestic oil and gas industry.

Hey

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hey wrote:</div>

Keeping 100% of it ourselves would not be representative of a free market. That would crush the domestic oil and gas industry.

We used to be a net exporter of oil. In 2022 we are are a net importer of oil. How does that crush oil and gas industry?

We import more then we make. That crushes our domestic industry.

When you export more you own the markets. Why are we begging Venezuela, UAE, and Saudi Arabia to produce more oil?

We could do it ourselves right now.

Chemistry and economics need to be taught in our schools

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Wodziak wrote:</div>

Typically turbos and heads

You have first hand experience with this or just rumors? My local dealer is giving lifetime power train warranty including turbos so they must be pretty solid ???

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

When you export more you own the markets. Why are we begging Venezuela, UAE, and Saudi Arabia to produce more oil?

To saturate the global market and lower oil prices. Again, if we pull out of the global market to set oil prices, major oil companies would completely abandon the US in favor of a market that is more profitable. Not only that, but depleting the oil within our country and on our continent would put us in a powerless position in foreign policy. We use foreign oil for a reason.

Hey

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hey wrote:</div>

To saturate the global market and lower oil prices. Again, if we pull out of the global market to set oil prices, major oil companies would completely abandon the US in favor of a market that is more profitable. Not only that, but depleting the oil within our country and on our continent would put us in a powerless position in foreign policy. We use foreign oil for a reason.

It would put us in a position of strength. Saudi Arabia and UAE could end our 4-6 dollar a gallon gas next month. They are the power players not the US. They refuse to do so.

Just like when the US goes electric and relies on all sorts of foreign powers for supply. They cut us off and our economy goes in the tank.

Canada could cripple us tomorrow by cutting off oil.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.