Thinking of getting a catfish setup, looking for input

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Like a lot of people on here, I have a lot of outdoor hobbies, but for some reason today it popped into my head that I want to try catfishing this year. I spend a good deal of time on P2-4, and have fished as far down as pool 19. Due to getting into trout fishing over the past 3 years, I’ve found several honey holes for creek chubs, and some of them really big ones. I’ve always wanted to catch my own chubs and go fishing with them. After doing some reading it seems like creek chubs are really good flathead bait. Which leads me to this post, what is a good rod/reel for basic river catfishing? Any other general comments on line, terminal tackle etc. also appreciated. From what I’ve seen you generally anchor around wood piles and chuck out a large style live bait rig.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

Check out the Catfish and Carp YouTube channel. He will go through all the gear you need.

Cody Meyers

River Certified is also a good You Tube channel, he fishes in Iowa a lot.

I have been running Whisker Whip rods for all of my channel cat fishing or running big cut bait for flatheads. I really like the whisker seeker rods from Chad Ferguson too. If you are focusing primarily on flatheads I’d encourage you to check them out. They are lighter (in weight) than many of the other glass rods out there and are the correct action for cats.

The Rippin Lips Supercat rod in M/H is also a great choice for flatheads and all around catfishing at a pretty affordable price tag. Add your choice of reel and you are set.

Good luck.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Crawdaddy,

I don’t know of anyone that bought a catfish rod that hasn’t bought at least one more because of personal preference.

I’ll give you what I’ll sorted out over the last 15 years of guiding…just keep in mind there’s more then one way to catch a cat and everyone has an opinion.

One thing to keep in mind when talking catfish at least in our area is that there are Flatheads and Channel Cats. Two same but very different species. Best off to mention which fish your talking about. Since you mentioned live bait, I’m going to assume Flatheads. I use a different rod and reel when I’m targeting channel cats.

I use a Team Catfish carbon fiber rod that’s been discontinued that had a hefty price tag of $150.00 Please do not spend that amount for any rod until you’ve gone out a few times. You’ll know when the slime gets into your veins.

Garcia 7000 is the winch I use to play tug of war with them.
    Okuma makes a good reel I’ve heard but I don’t have any experience with them. Now that I’ll be fishing for myself and with family, I plan on upgrading to a Shimono. Very smooth with a price tag to match.

I used 80 pound Power Pro for years with 20 or 30 pound mono for backing. I heard rumors of Power Pro snapping on casts and with fish on. It happened to me 3 or 4 times over 5? years so I moved on to Master Braid 80#. Great stuff. Then when I connected with Team Catfish as a sponsor, I used their 80 pound Hi Vis (called Nuclear Yellow) and it did me well. I liked it because the chalky yellow wasn’t all over my reel like the Power Pro did. I would need to flip the Power Pro each year. With Tug of War, I would get two and sometimes 3 years out of it before it needed to be rotated.
    There’s a suffix brand that’s worked well for many flat anglers too but I’ve never tried it.

Hooks. I started with Gama’s 10/0 J hook (2023 I think). Good hook. I switch to the Team Catfish 8/0 J hook because they have a slight dip in the bottom of the J and that seemed to hold the bullhead, sucker, or chub on better for me. The TC 8/0 is a bit stronger but all that did was make it harder to pull out of wood. Never had a problem with bending of either hooks.

Weights.
    Some carry an assortment of bank sinkers, no rolls. I carry on sinker. A 4 oz no roll. If I need a heavier sinker then that, I’m fishing in too much current. Since they are a slip sinker, the line slides through the middle and at least in my experience fish don’t detect a weight or they don’t care.

Leader.
    I use whatever my main line is. A flathead will find your weakest link. 12 to 18″. Flats like moving bait but anymore then 18″ and your live bait will find a snag…at least in the areas I fish.

Swivels.
    I’ve never used the cheap swivels. On the other hand I don’t see a need for the stainless ball bearing type either. I look for a swivel that’s rated for at least 80#.

Sinker bumpers.
    I use the Team Catfish bumpers. Personally I don’t think they’re needed because a person should be checking the last 5-6′ of line along with all of the terminal tackle nightly. Your call.

Stuff for the boat.
    Man, this could be a list! You’ll know what your missing after a couple trips out!

I recommend a good net. I was lifting the flats in by the mouth at one time. Felt something next to my little finger and found it was an old rusty number 2 hook. Many tourney anglers don’t want to take the time to retrieve their hook and simply break off. Use a net. If you’re going to get a weight on the fish, weigh them in the net and subtract the weight of the net. Better for the fish.

Head lamps
    I’m a fan of the Rayovac headlamp. It has a red led, a white led and then a larger spotlight style light on the top. I take out the bulb for the big light. Use your spot light if you need to see further then the led’s shine. Red is the best color for me. Clients didn’t blind me and all I needed to see was the floor and rod tips. Oh yeah, have plenty of AAA batteries along.

Spotlights
    Lots of them out there and now the light weight rechargeable led’s are on the market for as little as $30. I have 2 corded spot lights and one rechargeable. Redundancy is a flatheaders friend.

Thermocell is a must have unless you like wiping yourself down with pasty bug repellent.

GPS
    Anchor

Go out during the day and mark your spots that you feel will be good. While there, invision getting out of that spot in the dark.

Well that’s all I have time for right now.
    Good Luck!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Save all your money it`s only catfish get some parachute cord some heavy weights big hook and go catfishing. whistling hah mrgreen yay

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Brian laid it all out for you.

My favorite cat rods are the Shakespeare Tiger rods, and they don’t break the bank at all. Also consider storm style sinkers if you want to fish in deeper water as they don’t tend to roll on the way down, which can tangle your leader.

catmando
    wis

If you have a flatbottom boat, anchor front and back, anchor up crossways with current, you can get more rods in the water. This is just easier with a jon, no see-sawing back and forth. DK.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.