.357 Magnum

• skippy783
    Dysart, IA

I am going to carry a .357 Magnum deer hunting this year and am looking for good quality ammo for it. I really don’t want something that’s going to cost a dollar a shot, but I want to know that what I am shooting will do the job.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I can’t remember if “Grizzly” makes .357 ammo or not but for my .41 mag, they offer a 265gr. bullet that rips out of the barrell at 1400fps. If they make a .357 round, it might be your ticket. Grizzly ammo is available thru Cabela’s.

robby
    Quad Cities

Not to hastle you, but expecially with a .357 do buy quality hollowpoints designed for hunting. You will want every edge you can gain. I tried to go cheapo and few years ago with my .44 and used Winchester Whitebox. It shot accurrately and the ballistics are good, but it is a solid point. .44 entrance, 344 exit. I did kill deer, but after switching to Winchester Platinum I do not have to do half the tracking I used to.

DaveD1
    Eastern Iowa

This is a good question. I shoot my muzzy during gun season but was thinking it might be nice to have the handgun along to finish off a deer if needed.

I’ve got access to my dad’s .357 colt python but wasn’t sure if it’d get the job done.

Also, what range are we talking about? I’d only be taking very short shots, under ten yards, probably closer.

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

I am planning on buying hollowpoints as you have to have an expanding bullet for hunting deer with a handgun. The longest shot I would consider taking would be 20 yards, but most shots with the handgun will be within 10 yards otherwise I’ll use the shotgun.

The handgun definately isn’t my primary weapon that I will be carrying. I am carrying it because I have killed a lot of deer with a shotgun and if I get a chance, I want to take one with a handgun because of the added challenge.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Back on the P.D. we used to carry 158 Gr. Federal Semi Jacketed hollow points. And you know what gets shot with those.
    LOTS of power!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

They do make Hydra-shock rounds in .357 Mag. I carry them in mine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.