Summer is here – what’s working??

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    Got in to a few of this today. 21 incher. Mille lacs was puking them out at a decent rate today

Glad to hear that! I’m hoping to be sick one day next week and spend it healing myself at Mille Lacs…..Maybe even pull a spinner or two around for those nasty gold things.

Small tube jigs, Ned, and a craw lipless crank had worked when we found them on rocks.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    Got in to a few of this today. 21 incher. Mille lacs was puking them out at a decent rate today

I can see arcs on the sonar too!

When we would catch 1 we could usually pull 3 or 4 of the same small concentrated spots. I lost a really big one at boat side 😪 was bigger then my 21.

FryDog62

The old ball and chain is still working in rocks at 10 fow. 20 incher so far. 73 degree water temps. Flying Squirrel tastes like chicken to the bass ;)

Attachments:
    1. 6A622276-23A4-4C85-BFC7-A0AF86ABB06C-scaled.jpeg

FryDog62

Getting crazy… 21.25. Four fish between 20-21 today. Fun scraping the rocks for fish – –

Attachments:
    1. 45DB426C-3332-4B8E-BFA8-23843375A2BF-scaled.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Sheesh. Those are some tankers.

FryDog62

I have been throwing C-rig since before watching Oahe but fun to watch those B.A.S.S. guys figure it out for SMB on the river. Really enjoy watching them totally Jack a fish in deep water, instead of the slow 5 minute death-spiral bringing up fish on a drop shot.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

I bumped into the C rig on the River last year— a tip from a better fisherman than me. Smallies like it. It works, just goofy to cast.

FryDog62

I bumped into the C rig on the River last year— a tip from a better fisherman than me. Smallies like it. It works, just goofy to cast.

Good stuff. What are your thoughts on throwing it up-current or down? And weights/lures that work for you in the river?

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Fished Clearwater by Annandale last Thursday for our final night of league. We had some ground to make up so we swung for the fences. We are typically a wacky, dropshot, jigworm team and that hasn’t panned out real well for us this year. Decided to try something out of our comfort zone and tied on the frogs. Weather was stormy that evening with a t-storm just missing us to the south. Light rain, overcast, and calm. Partner’s first cast (I was still dropping the trolling motor) resulted in a blow up and a solid 17″er. Proceeded to catch and miss several over the next hour and a half in the reeds and pads. First time I’ve spent any amount of time froggin’ with that much action. Will have one tied on at all times next year. Now I need a frog rod though!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Joe, I haven’t had a good frog bite in 3 years and this year has been a great frog year for me. It’s darn fun when you are getting a lot of blowups. Usually quality fish too.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Got the wife out sat. morning. We had a Decent morning. The weed edge bite was a little off ( This lake normally non stop action on the weed edge ) We switched up and power fished shallower water around the pads and reeds. Ended up catch a fair amount on a chatterbait and a buzzbait. Nothing big but decent #’s. The wife really liked throwing the Chatterbait.
    Got out yesterday morning with a buddy. It was crazy foggy when we got to the lake. I could hardly see the front of the boat from the back of it. Just dropped the trolling motor down at the landing and made our way slowly to a big weedflat close to the landing ( Thanks for a great map on the electronics. We started throwing buzzbaits and got into some crazy good action. It was crazy being that you could not even see your buzzbait for most of the retrieve back to the boat. Just had to listed for the sound of the hit and feel the weight. It was often hard to tell who’s bait was hit. This crazy action lasted for about a Hour when the fog burned off. Once we were able to see well enough and the bite slowed way down we started to fish some of our normal deeper weed edge spots. We managed a few fish including a few in the 18″ range but once again the edge bite way way off. We switch back to the buzzbaits and managed a dozen or more fish before the bite just died off in the bright sun. Overall a decent weekend of fishing. Its just been a real off year for both the weed edge bite and for Bigger fish. Oh well that’s fishing. Its been kind of fun to going back to more power fishing than I have the last few years. I have even caught a few dock fish this year. I have not done hardly any of than in the last few years.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I finally got into some bigger fish today. Only took me 3 months lol. I caught a pair of 4 pounders about half an hour apart. There was a good dock bite today in the bright sunshine.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0267.jpg

2. IMG_0272.jpg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I finally got into some bigger fish today. Only took me 3 months lol. I caught a pair of 4 pounders about half an hour apart. There was a good dock bite today in the bright sunshine.

Nice fish!

FryDog62

Nice, what were you skipping today?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Nice, what were you skipping today?

A white tube on a phantom hook was working pretty well is time.

tim hurley

Caught some nice ones on a swim bait-1st time for me, usually I use spinners for flats or shallow cranks, broke the only spinner I brought and the crank was bit off on the second cast. Lake is very dark so that bright white with the thumps tail worked well

Attachments:
    1. 0176CE98-FEA4-4547-BF08-E5B5AD0F7F0A-scaled.jpeg

FryDog62

Took a friend to a central Minn lake today. Scraping rocks w/football jigs in 10 fow. Water temp holding at 73 degrees. Black/blue was the only color that got bit today. His 20 incher… took my $5 today Tim )

Attachments:
    1. 83835975-683D-4A75-8457-2E2EC8EFA031.jpeg

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

I hope for minimal current. Doesn’t always happen. 1/2 oz weight, a glass bead, barrel swivel, about 2 ft of 14 lb FC and a 3 or 4 in chigger depending on their mood. Went out on the River today. Pretty slow. Water temp was 75. It doesn’t get good until it’s mid 60’s to mid 40’s. They stack up pretty good then. Pretty scattered now. They actually hit crankbaits better than plastics. It will get better. Good luck.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Got over for a evening trip yesterday. Talk about a Junk fishing outing. I think we caught fish on 8-9 different lures / patterns. The fish were really scattered. Caught one here and one there. It seems like its getting that time of the year were they are starting to break up from their schools ( Not that I ever found much for schools this year ) A buzzbait has been one of the better baits for me the last few outings. I normally don’t start to fish them till a little later in the year than this. There have been days when they have been pounding the buzzbait and would hardly touch a chatterbait. The strange think about this buzzbait bite is that some of the days have been really bright and sunny. Normally I do much better on buzzbaits on cloudy overcast days.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The strange think about this buzzbait bite is that some of the days have been really bright and sunny. Normally I do much better on buzzbaits on cloudy overcast days.

That is my experience with a buzzer too. And quite honestly, a spinner bait as well. A black spinnerbait has been working pretty well for me when its overcast or rainy. I keep it near the surface and when a fish strikes, its about as close to a topwater strike as possible without actually being a topwater presentation.

Are you burning it in about as fast as you can reel it or is a slower pace working better? A good buzz bait bite is entertaining.

Deuces

Getting crazy… 21.25. Four fish between 20-21 today. Fun scraping the rocks for fish – –

Scraping the rocks, good term, thought of it going out yesterday to the river, have issue finding bigger fish in my section of river during the summer but I’m always flying high and quick with presentation, brought nothing but jigs and craws yesterday and found some better fish doing just that, scraping toast

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Are you burning it in about as fast as you can reel it or is a slower pace working better? A good buzz bait bite is entertaining.

Have been fishing them just as fast as needed to keep the blade on the surface. I am fishing a new buzzbait this year. The one I’m using has holes drilled in the blade. Has a slightly different sound and leaves a nice bubble trail. Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but it seems to. I feel like I’m getting way more bites and better hook up than my buddy has been. Then it again it may just be luck.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The one I’m using has holes drilled in the blade. Has a slightly different sound and leaves a nice bubble trail.

I’ve got a couple of those. What color are you using?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<

I’ve got a couple of those. What color are you using?

I almost always fish White with Silver blade. On really overcast days I may switch to a darker colored body with a gold blade.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Had a great outing yesterday afternoon and evening. Got onto probably our best deeper weededge bite of the season. Sat spot locked in one place for 30-40 minutes and probably caught 40+ fish. It had doubles at least 6-7 times. By far the biggest school of fish we have located this summer. Went back to the same spot right before dark and caught another 6-8 fish. Got 5 or so fish right around 18″ and another 10 or so in the 16-17″ range. All caught on a neko rig or a jig worm. Just when I was starting to think there a was no schools of fish or fish on the deeper weed edge this happens – Go figure !!!!

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Found some solid fish this afternoon in 2-3’ up against the bulrushes. Had to drop the spinnerbait tight to the rushes most times to get bit. Once the sun peeked out, the bite was done.

Attachments:
    1. EAF7B0D4-B4FA-4E7D-903A-1F81123C93EB-scaled.jpeg

2. 5FC5A46B-72E2-4D27-9D0C-9F4134F8ECCB-scaled.jpeg

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Pulling the boat out tonight for fishing league on the River tomorrow, casted by 3 docks. Caught 2 dinks then the biggest of the year—5.68. Probably get blanked tomorrow. Don’t think I’ve hit the 6 pound mark yet. Kinda surprised. Pretty light bite.

FryDog62

Pulling the boat out tonight for fishing league on the River tomorrow, casted by 3 docks. Caught 2 dinks then the biggest of the year—5.68. Probably get blanked tomorrow. Don’t think I’ve hit the 6 pound mark yet. Kinda surprised. Pretty light bite.

Wow, pig. Largemouth or smallie?

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 220 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.