Summer is here – what’s working??

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Considering everyone else is posting that they’re seeing temps in the mid to upper 70’s, 88 doesn’t seem accurate right now.

The warmest I observed last summer, which was the warmest on record, was 81 degrees. I’ve literally never seen it approach 85 or 90 degrees living here. If I saw water temperature that was 90 degrees here in MN, I’d question if my equipment was operating accurately.

tim hurley

Mostly I have seen water temps following the average of high and low for that week.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

A couple summers ago it was in the mid 80s if I remember correctly.

Tournament today and the neko saw pretty much all of the action. I was culling after about 15 minutes which was ridiculous. Most guys catching them on dropshots, neds, or other finesse techniques on deeper structure.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I went yesterday in the rainy/cloudy conditions for about 4 hours and caught 14 largemouth and 7 pike. Every fish was on a green or white spinnerbait. The fish were hungry and aggressive. I had a small muskie on too but it jumped and got off. Water temp 77 degrees.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I went yesterday in the rainy/cloudy conditions for about 4 hours and caught 14 largemouth and 7 pike. Every fish was on a green or white spinnerbait. The fish were hungry and aggressive. I had a small muskie on too but it jumped and got off. Water temp 77 degrees.

They were certainly going after everything yesterday morning but it shut off after the rain came. White Bear was like Mille Lacs at points yesterday. Waves crashing over my bow 20-25 MPH winds. The Ultrex and spot lock are truly the best innovation in fishing possibly in it’s history. I wouldn’t have been able to do anything with my old Maxxum out there.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

They were certainly going after everything yesterday morning but it shut off after the rain came. White Bear was like Mille Lacs at points yesterday. Waves crashing over my bow 20-25 MPH winds. The Ultrex and spot lock are truly the best innovation in fishing possibly in it’s history. I wouldn’t have been able to do anything with my old Maxxum out there.

I quit when the sun came out. I was on a relatively small lake so wind wasn’t much of a factor. Good to here the Ultrex is working out for ya.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Another Tough outing for me on Sun. Winds were in the 15-20 range with some much stronger gust. We fought it for only a few hours before throwing in the Towel. We did manage a few fish on a Jig and pig and a few on a heavy weighted drop shot. Checked another lake on the way home. After taking a look decided to just go home and back to bed. Left home at 5:30 and was back home by 8:30. That’s rare for me and my partner. I’m really getting tired of this wind. Forecast is for a little less wind this Evening ( 8-12 MPH ). Going to give it another shot. Have plans to do some bobber fishing for walleyes with friends this Friday and Sat. This is where the heavier winds will not bother me. My guess is it will probably be flat calm jester

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

This is not like you to struggle Fishthumper. We’re used to seeing multiple photos of you with bucketmouth largies in June and then the annual super sized catfish lol.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

This is not like you to struggle Fishthumper. We’re used to seeing multiple photos of you with bucketmouth largies in June and then the annual super sized catfish lol.

Ya, its been a real off year. I was thinking about the annual catfish on my last outing. It normally comes right around this time each year. Hope I can keep the streak going. Each outing we keep telling ourselves it will get better. One of these days we will be right. Think we are going to try a different lake tonight. Maybe we are just trying to force it to much on the hot lake from the last few years. We just cant seem to get a day out with decent fishing conditions. Really wet high water spring, Followed by a week + down with Covid, followed by a week in Canada, followed by way to many days with high winds – We just have not been on the water nearly enough. Hopefully can get that changed soon. That’s fishing I guess !!!

FryDog62

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

Ya, its been a real off year. I was thinking about the annual <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>catfish on my last outing. It normally comes right around this time each year. Hope I can keep the streak going. Each outing we keep telling ourselves it will get better. One of these days we will be right. Think we are going to try a different lake tonight. Maybe we are just trying to force it to much on the hot lake from the last few years. We just cant seem to get a day out with decent fishing conditions. Really wet high water spring, Followed by a week + down with Covid, followed by a week in Canada, followed by way to many days with high winds – We just have not been on the water nearly enough. Hopefully can get that changed soon. That’s fishing I guess !!!

Actually I’m talking to a lot of guys if they’re honest admitting that fishing has taken a dip the last 1-2 years. The overall pressure plus the higher water temps last year, and cold/windy spring this year. Was surprised to hear 2 guys I know/respect a lot last week sound so discouraging.

It can and will change again – I think it’s a phase… although the constant pressure will be the biggest factor going forward.

The big fish have gotten a masters degree in smarts the last few years…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve actually gotten more big fish this year than I did in the last couple. I’ve gotten a couple 5’s this year and didn’t get one all of last year. I will say weights in the first three tournaments of our series have been down overall. But other leagues I’ve seen some 20 lb bags and a lot of 17’s and 18’s also around the metro. The cold start could have certainly affected them.

FryDog62

“I’ve actually gotten more big fish this year than I did in the last couple. I’ve gotten a couple 5’s this year and didn’t get one all of last year.”

Obviously because you have mastered the Neko that others aren’t using. All it does is get bit!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I wish it was that! HA. The first 5 was that bed fish I caught a few weeks ago with a Rage Bug and the other was under a dock. Neko got me a 4 in my tourney on saturday though. I’m going to start really hunting the smallies on White Bear for the next couple weeks. I haven’t found them for awhile but have a hunch where they are. I’m going to put my tail between my legs and pick up the nasty drop shot. Wish me luck. jester

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m going to put my tail between my legs and pick up the nasty drop shot.

Lol prepare for failure.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

That’s my normal prep for targeting smallies on white bear!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    I’m going to put my tail between my legs and pick up the nasty drop shot.

Lol prepare for failure.

Normally Gimruis and I agree – Not on this one. Give yourself time on the dropshot to learn it and it will quickly become your go to. Get yourself some Berkley Maxscent flat worms ( if you can find any ) and some berkley Powerbait Minnows and you will be set. Don’t even pick one up till you have some fish located. Its not a good search bait. Don’t overwork it. Less is more !!! The key is to lightly shake the bait on a slack line. You want to give some action to the bait without moving the weight if possible. If no bite. Move the bait a few feet and repeat. Watch the line closely. you often don’t feel the pickup on a Dropshot. The line will simply start to move off. It is one of the harder Techniques to learn to fish and to develop confidence in, nut once you do you will be happy you did. Good luck and after giving it a fair chance, Report back on how it goes for you.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Haha. Its like you think I don’t know how to use a drop shot. I really do know how, exactly as you describe it too. I just can’t stand doing it! Its like watching paint dry or grass grow. I have never used the maxscent flatworm though. I primarily use the KVD dream shot when I have to drop shot.

I do have a few packs of maxscent tubes that I bought last winter and I’ll be using those soon for brownies (although not on a drop shot).

One thing I do have trouble with in reference to the drop shot is how to keep the tag end with the weight from tangling up on the deck. That free end of line with the weight attached always wraps around something.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

“I’ve actually gotten more big fish this year than I did in the last couple. I’ve gotten a couple 5’s this year and didn’t get one all of last year.”

Obviously because you have mastered the Neko that others aren’t using. All it does is get bit!

The neko rig was something new to my setup last year. It sure came up big on a few different outings. The place where it really excelled for me was once the bite seemed to die down on other techniques. I’d often then switch to the Neko rig and it would get me a few more fish. The key thing I learned was to let it sit for a fair amount of time between pops. often the pickup came after it had sat for 20-30 Seconds after moving it. of after letting it sit after the initial Fall. I now keep one tied on most every outing. The other nice thing about it is you can pull the nail out of it quickly and fish it weightless wacky style for skipping under docks or tree’s.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

One thing I do have trouble with in reference to the drop shot is how to keep the tag end with the weight from tangling up on the deck. That free end of line with the weight attached always wraps around something.

I put a rubberband, or better yet one of my daughters Hair ties around the rod handle just behind the reel. I hook the hook to the hook keeper if there is one, or to the reel somehow if no keeper. I then wrap the tag end with the sinker around the handle grip just above the band then lift the band and tuck the weight under it. Hope that makes sense.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I put a rubberband, or better yet one of my daughters Hair ties around the rod handle just behind the reel. I hook the hook to the hook keeper if there is one, or to the reel somehow if no keeper. I then wrap the tag end with the sinker around the handle grip just above the band then lift the band and tuck the weight under it. Hope that makes sense.

I’m going to have to try this. Maybe you can post a photo, that would be helpful.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Check this item out. Skip to about the 45 second mark. Its fancier that the band I use but you will get the idea

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I forgot I had my rods in the Truck to meet my buddy after work to go fishing. Here are a few photos. The hairband broke so I had to tie a knot in it. Need to find a new one laying around the house to replace it. I hope this gives you a idea of how I secure the tag end

Attachments:
    1. Dropshot-2.jpg

2. Dropshot-3.jpg

3. Dropshot-1.jpg

FryDog62

fishthumper wrote:
    “The neko rig was something new to my setup last year. It sure came up big on a few different outings. The place where it really excelled for me was once the bite seemed to die down on other techniques. I’d often then switch to the Neko rig and it would get me a few more fish. The key thing I learned was to let it sit for a fair amount of time between pops. often the pickup came after it had sat for 20-30 Seconds after moving it. of after letting it sit after the initial Fall. I know keep one tied on most every outing. The other nice thing about it is you can pull the nail out of it quickly and fish it weightless wacky style for skipping under docks or tree’s.”

This…

For me, its a requirement to have a Neko worm with a floating tail for the reason you mentioned of letting the lure sit for several seconds, especially under docks. I seem to get as many or more bites soaking it – but not laying flat on the bottom sometimes unnoticed like a salt-impregnated Senko. It works much better with the tail of the worm floating up as it sits and undulates.

Here’s my analogy… the larger alpha bass under docks are territorial – kinda like that 5th grade bully on the playground. Then, this little 2nd grader comes flying under the 5th grader’s jungle gym and just sits there as his tail floats up in the older kid’s grill. Kind of like giving him the bird. The alpha can only stare at it so long then, smacks it!

For me, it really is one of the easiest, stealthiest and most effective lures to skip under docks. The metal is buried in the plastic – no spooking fish or pissing off homeowners if you Klank one off the uprights…

Attachments:
    1. BE67D933-C2AE-4FA9-ADA8-B4EF11E7F6D0_1_201_a-scaled.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That is helpful. Thanks for the photos.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

That’s a slick idea. I usually just wrap the dropper around the rod and line at the hook keeper, but it inevitably gets wrapped around something it shouldn’t. Or, if I don’t want to deal with it, I just remove the weight.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

If the fish are set up where I can use a DS, that’s what I’m using. I just have too much confidence in it. But, with all this talk on the Neko, I really need to give it more of a try. Just sounds so versatile. I think the times I’ve tried, I’ve been too impatient and don’t let it sit long enough.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

The space for my rods in my partners boat is rather limited so I do everything I can to keep my 4-5 rods I bring from getting tangled. I hate when rods laying together get all tangled up. I always also wrap the line around the rod blank several times when I put it back on the deck. This really helps as well.

start to watch at about the 45 second mark. I’m sure many know this but maybe some don’t

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Mother nature finally gave us a slight break. Yesterday evening the forecasted winds were for 10-12 and falling off each hr. to almost calm by 9:00. Although it did not fall off much from the 10-12 it was still much more manageable than it has been lately. We were finally able to have a decent day of fishing ( #’s wise anyway ) All fish caught were on the outside weed edge in 14-18 FOW. All my fish came on a dropshot rig and a Neko rig. Probably a 70% dropshot to 30% neko rig ratio. All my partners fish came on a Jigworm. I’d say the Dropshot far outfished the Jigworm on this day and this was from the back of the boat. Both a Smaller Fluke style bait and a 6″ strait tail worm worked well on the dropshot. Did not find the fish schooled up much yet ( Think they will be soon ) I also feel like these fish have been on the outside weed edge for just a short time now. It seems like every year when the fish first show up on the outside weededge they all want to Jump when hooked ( This was the case last night ) after they have been on those outside edges for a few weeks it all seems to change where the fish prefer to bulldog deep rather than jump. This is something I’ve noticed for many year now. I really feel like things are still about 2 weeks behind normal this year. maybe the Great bite we had mid June the last few years will happen in early July this year ( I hope so anyway ) I think by this point last year my fishing partner and I had caught 20-25 fish over 20″ ( We caught 8 in one day ) and at this point we only have caught 1. I’m going to take a small break from the Bass to chase some walleyes on ship bobbers on Friday and sat. Hope to be able to finish the Holiday weekend with a day or two of Bass fishing. Good luck to everyone this Holiday weekend. Have Fun and be safe out there !!!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Sorry, missed this was the bass forum before posting. My bad..

No problem. us Bass guys don’t mind you bottom Feeder fishermen. Heck, once in awhile we even turn into one. toast

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Well I actually used my new fairy wands today going after smallmouth and I also use the rubberband trick for keeping the dropshot weight from hanging.

Dropshot and ned got used today. Couldn’t find the rock bar I was looking for and the wife pulled me off the lake because the little monsters weren’t listening to her. Caught a few bass and a big gill in an hour. Going back out Friday with a little more time in hand.

Frydog and Fishthumper, I actually work my neko pretty fast. If I let it sit for more than ten seconds it’s moving very slow for me. I let it set for 5 or ten seconds then pop, pop, pop, let it fall. Work it that way back to the boat. Really works well for me.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 220 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.