Summer is here – what’s working??

• FryDog62

“Frydog and Fishthumper, I actually work my neko pretty fast. If I let it sit for more than ten seconds it’s moving very slow for me. I let it set for 5 or ten seconds then pop, pop, pop, let it fall. Work it that way back to the boat. Really works well for me.”

I work it fairly fast too, the exception is when I skip it under a dock… although sometimes I move it along there too..

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Pretty good bite out there right now. Went for a few hours again this morning in the rain and caught 14 bass and 6 pike. Even got a few on topwaters too. Nothing too big, but constant action. Water temp 74 degrees.

FryDog62

Was out yesterday in Central Minn. Water temps were 76 and weed lines getting pretty much developed. To Gim’s point above, fishing was good and several techniques worked – jigs, plastics – and topwater.

The topwater was really good in/around the developing pads. Threw the new G.O.A.T. Toadz and man were there some big hits. I like that toad because it floats so it stays on top as soon as it hits the water and you can retrieve it slow when you want without sinking. Pleasantly surprised about the near 100% hook up ratio so far.

I think it’s going to be a new favorite lure and replace the frog for me for awhile anyway.. it’s really tailed off for me the last few years so I’m “stoked about the goat!”

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Was out yesterday in Central Minn. Water temps were 76 and weed lines getting pretty much developed. To Gim’s point above, fishing was good and several techniques worked – jigs, plastics – and topwater.

The topwater was really good in/around the developing pads. Threw the new G.O.A.T. Toadz and man were there some big hits. I like that toad because it floats so it stays on top as soon as it hits the water and you can retrieve it slow when you want without sinking. Pleasantly surprised about the near 100% hook up ratio so far.

I think it’s going to be a new favorite lure and replace the frog for me for awhile anyway.. it’s really tailed off for me the last few years so I’m “stoked about the goat!”

I’ve got a tourney in a week on Green in Chisago and I have a feeling I’ll be frogging quite a bit.

mrpike1973

Rough weekend so far for us most fish on the weed line. For some reason the Ned and Neko have not been very productive. Most fish caught with spinner baits and jigs with boot tail plastics. The pleasure boaters have been the biggest issue I just don’t get going in circles over and over in a jet ski but that’s my report not many fish but a few.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Rough weekend so far for us most fish on the weed line. For some reason the Ned and Neko have not been very productive. Most fish caught with spinner baits and jigs with boot tail plastics. The pleasure boaters have been the biggest issue I just don’t get going in circles over and over in a jet ski but that’s my report not many fish but a few.

I have those days every once in awhile. Somedays they just don’t want anything. My next tourney is on a lake that pretty stained and has pretty good deep structure and also really nice pads. Blast off is 6 am and I’m struggling to decide whether or not to go sit on a main lake point or start off with a frog and a punch rig in the pads. There are big fish in this lake also, another league was out there last weekend and had a 20 lb bag and two 19s. Any opinions out there?

Michael Best

Fished Dead lake in otter tail county.
    We were in my dads boat so fishing off shore on any type of a deep weed line wasn’t going to happen.

For those that don’t know that lake it has lots and lots of reeds.

Did very well throwing a tube Texas rigged. Green pumpkin tubes have always been good to me. Decided to try some spike it (chartreuse) on it. The fish seemed to like it a lot. Wow does that stuff have a garlic smell to it.
    Biggest fish for the day on a tube was a 4lber. Did get a 5 lber on a jig and craw in reeds that were in 6’ + of water.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Anyone on a decent smallmouth bite? I’m thinking of trying a river later this week. I usually do very good when it starts to get warm and muggy out like this in rivers for brown bass.

FryDog62

Anyone on a decent smallmouth bite? I’m thinking of trying a river later this week. I usually do very good when it starts to get warm and muggy out like this in rivers for brown bass.

Perfect time to try as water levels are coming down from the big rains 10 days ago. Let us know how you do…

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve been out to White Bear a couple times to really hammer down the smallie pattern but haven’t quite gotten into them yet. I’m pretty sure I’ve pinned them down and was going to go out last friday but a dead truck battery and two girls under 5 driving mom nuts cancelled that. Next time I go out will be there trying to find them. They are quality fish when you catch them, just tough to find em.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

My next tourney is on a lake that pretty stained and has pretty good deep structure and also really nice pads. Blast off is 6 am and I’m struggling to decide whether or not to go sit on a main lake point or start off with a frog and a punch rig in the pads. There are big fish in this lake also, another league was out there last weekend and had a 20 lb bag and two 19s. Any opinions out there?

If that Tourney Is on Green Lake in Chisago and its the communal main lake point I think it is. If I had a early enough boat draw to get the point first I’d start there. How long to sit on it waiting for them to turn on is a different problem. I was never one to sit on a spot all day waiting for the fish to turn on. But I can tell you I got beat many times in Tourneys by fishermen who did just that. There is nothing worse than getting beat in a tourney only to find out later that the winning bag came off a spot that you had a chance to start on. Getting a 20 lb bag out of the pads on a frog is tough. I’m not saying it cant happen but most often doesn’t. Your chances on that are better on a main lake point. Then again, I’m not much of a frog fishermen, If you are and that is your confidence bait I’d fish your strength. if you get lucky and have a overcast day those pad fish most likely will still be there a few hours later anyway.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Perfect time to try as water levels are coming down from the big rains 10 days ago. Let us know how you do…

I’d personally rather have it be a bit high than too low. Wasn’t able to fish rivers at all last season because of the drought.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>
    My next tourney is on a lake that pretty stained and has pretty good deep structure and also really nice pads. Blast off is 6 am and I’m struggling to decide whether or not to go sit on a main lake point or start off with a frog and a punch rig in the pads. There are big fish in this lake also, another league was out there last weekend and had a 20 lb bag and two 19s. Any opinions out there?

If that Tourney Is on Green Lake in Chisago and its the communal main lake point I think it is. If I had a early enough boat draw to get the point first I’d start there. How long to sit on it waiting for them to turn on is a different problem. I was never one to sit on a spot all day waiting for the fish to turn on. But I can tell you I got beat many times in Tourneys by fishermen who did just that. There is nothing worse than getting beat in a tourney only to find out later that the winning bag came off a spot that you had a chance to start on. Getting a 20 lb bag out of the pads on a frog is tough. I’m not saying it cant happen but most often doesn’t. Your chances on that are better on a main lake point. Then again, I’m not much of a frog fishermen, If you are and that is your confidence bait I’d fish your strength. if you get lucky and have a overcast day those pad fish most likely will still be there a few hours later anyway.

That’s what I’m leaning towards also. Probably sit out on deeper structure and get a limit and then go for bigs in the pads or docks. Unless I can’t get on any of the structure because of a low draw. I’ve been all or nothing for draws so far. 1st, last, and 1st so far.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

<

That’s what I’m leaning towards also. Probably sit out on deeper structure and get a limit and then go for bigs in the pads or docks. Unless I can’t get on any of the structure because of a low draw. I’ve been all or nothing for draws so far. 1st, last, and 1st so far.

You most likely will need a good draw to get to the main lake point I’m thinking of. Its been a well know communal spot for lots of years. Almost anyone who has fished a tourney out there know about it and would love to start on it. Good luck out there and I hope you hand on the Monster bag where ever you decide to start

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Last Thursday we fished a lake near Maple Lake for league. Water temp around 77deg. Clarity about 6-7′. Unfortunately, the deep weed edge bite was still not in play for us. Found fish only in 3′ or less and around shoreline cover. Fished a lighter weight Neko with great success. Weightless wacky also did very well. Now if I could just skip a little better! To corroborate with what I’ve said before about watching the sunfish pattern, they were still on beds, near the docks.

Hoping for a better summer pattern tonight!

mrpike1973

Joe you hit the nail on the head. Instead of searching for sunnies I assumed bass were on the deep weed edge which is why I struck out. I noticed as well from my journals that in years where we have a late spring the deep weed edge bite did not really kick in until late July just roughly 2-3 weeks later than usual. Plan on slowing down and going shallower this weekend. the spinnerbait bite was better for me when I did fish shallow but did not get a good pattern going. Thanks for jogging my memory sometimes you just fish where you think they should be instead of where they are.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Its really strange how late its taking this year for the deeper weed edge bite to fully kick in this year. I think both Joe and Mr. pike are correct that its due to the delayed sunfish spawn. Althought the sunfish spawn is normally spread out across almost a month on most lakes anyway. Maybe due to the spring we had that spread out spawn was just condensed into a much shorter period this year. I have noticed the deeper weedline and offshore hump bite picking up some in the last week or so. I’ve also noticed a lot more of the Tap tap bite of panfish on the jigworm and dropshot. So far mainly smaller fish but I think the bigger ones will start to arrive and bite well real soon. Just been a strange year for me so far. I broke off or got bite off twice last outing on a punch jig setup. Both times right at the punch jig. I had a Fluro leader attached to the heavy braid and like a idiot I tied on to low of a Lb fluro leader. I used either 10 or 12 lb. test. should have been at least 17-20 lb. I will not make that mistake again. I really don’t think it was a pike. Just a poor mistake by me. I really believe both of these were a decent sized bass because all the fish caught prior were bass at least 17″ and I know there are plenty of 20″ + fish in there. My buddy did catch one really BIG pike ( For Minnesota anyway ) Both him and I believe it was real close to 38″ and Real thick. It broke off as he was trying to hand land it so could not get a measurement on it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My buddy did catch one really BIG pike ( For Minnesota anyway ) Both him and I believe it was real close to 38″ and Real thick. It broke off as he was trying to hand land it so could not get a measurement on it.

So technically he did not catch it if he didn’t land it. Regardless, a 38 inch pike for around here is a rare beast.

As far as the bass bite, my last three outings have all been in the rainy/overcast conditions and they’ve all been pretty good. Most of my fish have come on an aggressive approach along the weed line or around docks. None of my fish have been that big though, they have all been between 14-18 inches in length. Spinnerbaits in various colors, a little on topwater, and even an occasional fish still on a jerk bait. I tried skipping some docks with a stick bait and it produced a couple dinks, but since it wasn’t sunny I don’t think the fish were set up in the shade there much.

A smallmouth float on the river this weekend is on tap. Haven’t targeted smallmouth much the last couple years and I’m looking forward to it.

tim hurley

Loose a fish at the boat in my boat and we call that a ‘gentlelman’s fish’ (counts) 38” in the boat can be a mess and is hard on the fish esp. this time of year.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

My Father and I floated the river this morning for about 4.5 hours and caught 14 smallmouth and 2 pike. All the brownies were between 12-17 inches. Caught most of them on an orange/red super shallow crank. Several of them took it on the surface too. It was great to be river fishing again and was a blast out there. Might try it again later next week.

When a fish would swipe at my crank and miss, I’d toss right back in there with a small green tube and they’d take that. This occurred several times this morning.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0269.jpg

2. IMG_3031.jpg

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Fished this morning in east central mn and found a really good offshore bite finally.
    Hard bottom near weeds with panfish beds and/or rocks.
    I covered water and located fish with a 3/8oz bluegill colored compact/ finesse jig and a 1/4oz VMC Rugby jig with a Rage grub. Once I found the school, the dropshot with a trick worm was key to catch multiple fish from each school. Biggest fish went 5.1lb,
    Lots of fish in the 3lb range.
    The bite was good all morning but shut down for me around 1230pm.

R Petersen

Shallow high water Temperatures allow bad bacteria to enter fish wounds & fester badly. High 80s & I am not fishing shallow. I switch to at least 20 feet deep sections. Easy for me in Canada border water.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Anyone else really stuggle Saturday? It was the worst outing in a long time for me. Struggled to get bites anywhere on a lake that normally fishes pretty good. Everyone in our tourney struggled. I only weighed 4 bass for 5.60 lbs. Worst outing in a tournament in a long time. Only half our anglers caught their 5 fish limit.

FryDog62

I was out Friday and the bite wasn’t what it was the week previous. If you take stock in the moon phase apps – this last Friday and Saturday were about as “poor” as it gets relative to their date rating. Next week is supposed to be a strong bite, too bad it didn’t align with your tournament schedule!

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

I went out after the storms today. Our lake had been so-so lately. My son and his buddy talked about using a drop shot and wacky worm. A put on a pink yum dinger. Best night in awhile. Stained water on our lake. A nice pike on a frog,too. Edge of the cool tail was best.

mrpike1973

On Saturday did a little better most fish came on top of weed beds about 6-8 FOW hard to pattern though as I caught 1 each on a spinner bait, wacky, Ned, chatter bait, jig and grub, Jig and pig and for fun 1 on a Texas rig just could not pattern them and all in different areas of the water column. Today was horrible 5 hours and 6 fish should have quit sooner but to stubborn finally got a few on a whopper plopper of all things in the thick gunk weeds by docks in 3 FOW last thing I tried and first time doing top water this year. Glad I’m not the only one thought I was loosing it crazy

R Petersen

Well fed fish with tall weeds. They lay on the COOLER bottom looking up and Lateral line sensing. The weeds cut down the distance they can sense lures. Add in high bright sun ? Tough conditions.

tim hurley

Don’t forget the Whopper Plopper especially in low light feeding windows, you can cover lots of water because you can cast a mile and it calls them in from a great distance.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I see a lot of guys struggle this time of year and for me it’s the best bite of the season.
    The biggest mistake I see anglers make on the water is moving too fast and covering too much water. The bass are schooled up right now, in very tight and specific locations. Specifically deep weed patches and hard bottom areas.
    You can literally catch a dozen fish from an area the size of a pool table but if you miss that spot while casting through an area you’d assume there is no fish present when in reality they’re all there.
    Slow down, be meticulous about combing water, and you’ll get into some of the fastest action of the year.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I try to target areas with shade that creates cooler water this time of year when it starts to get hot out. Under docks, thick weeds, and areas with current in rivers are targets for me. Bass are seeking relief from the heat and sun just like we would be.

Fishing at night time is also an option to avoid boating traffic during the day. I have found that lakes with clear water are often better at night time. Just my 2 cents.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 220 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.