Striker Ice Suit Recommendations

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I am looking at picking up a Striker Ice Suit for ice fishing but also for cold weather open water fishing. I know the predator is a popular model, I know guys who have them and love them but what about Hardwater Suit and the Climate Suit. What are the differences and advantages of one over the other?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I own the climate suit and absolutely loved it it is the warmest suit they have, I break it down and wear it in the boat all fall. The inserts are awesome I have not any complaints besides of fluke in a zipper

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Can only speak for the Climate but it has the removable inner jacket, so you can wear just the outer shell as a wind breaker. Also the liner for the bibs is removable. Just gives more versatility.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The inside liner jacket in the climate is a bad a$$ jacket to wear around as well.

Aaron

I can only talk about the climate and its nothing but good things. Versatility is the best with this suit. All the suits are really warm, but with the liners out you climate suit can be worn for fall fishing and early spring. Some of the other suits would just be way to warm for these periods.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Been wearing Climate for 10 years.
    Don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I can only vouch personally for the Predator suit. I’m a huge fan. I also have a Guardian jacket that I wear as a winter coat when it’s super cold. Not a bad jacket, but some corners were cut and it shows on the price tag.

My dad has a Hardwater jacket. It has a super-tough, heavy outer shell, much like what you’d expect to see from a heavy-duty hunting jacket. The Predator, on the other hand, used a lighter, softer, probably less durable shell. I haven’t torn mine yet.

My dad and I wear the same size, and his Hardwater jacket is at least 2 pounds heavier than my Predator jacket. Just something to think about.

Climate is probably the best bet if you’re willing to open the pocketbooks. Don’t rule out the Predator though.

Also, of the four articles of Striker gear I mentioned, I didn’t pay more than 60% retail for any of them. Striker does frequent changes and upgrades to their line-up, so there are frequent close-out sales to get rid of last year’s product. Keep an eye out because the common sizes go really quickly.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I agree with bass thumb.

Watch for sales or last year I waited to buy mine at end of the season.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I have the Hardwater and love it ! Never tried any of the others.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

For the guys with the climate suites, do they seem to have a break in period? When I try them at the store they seem to be bunched up behind my knees and around my elbows. I really like the idea of the liners but can’t get past how it fits in those areas. The predator just seems to light for wicked cold days on the rainy river, but maybe not?

CaptainMusky

The inside liner jacket in the climate is a bad a$$ jacket to wear around as well.

It is! I have had my striker climate suit for I think this is my 4th or 5th season. Wear the inner liner year around. Actually I wear just the liner for the winter too when not working outside but running in and out of work, etc.
    I actually just ordered a brand new liner because my old one was starting to look a little ratty because I wear it so much. The new ones are MUCH nicer than my original one. An additional pocket on the sleave too is kind of handy. You could put your we.. keys in there.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

It is! I have had my striker climate suit for I think this is my 4th or 5th season. Wear the inner liner year around. Actually I wear just the liner for the winter too when not working outside but running in and out of work, etc.
    I actually just ordered a brand new liner because my old one was starting to look a little ratty because I wear it so much. The new ones are MUCH nicer than my original one. An additional pocket on the sleave too is kind of handy. You could put your we.. keys in there.

Good stash spot for the “keys”

Steve Gildersleeve

Striker Suites are amazing pieces of equipment. I just got a predator this year and it has been awesome so far. Only complaint I have is….I don’t wear the jacket as often as I thought I would…..cause its DANG WARM! So technically the opposite of a problem. Some good responses above and good luck with whichever you go with!

shockers
    Rochester

I’ve got the Hardwater bibs and love em. Would get the jacket too, but I’m guessing I’d seldom need it. And, well, I’m tall and it’s dang hard to find tall size of the Striker jackets on sale.

I’d definitely encourage you to try out in the store, though. I was going to buy Climate but in comparing the fit of Climate vs. Hardwater, Hardwater just seemed to fit me much better.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Thanks for all the suggestions guys looks like I will be making a trip to Scheels to try on the Climate Suit.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Well I ended up pulling the trigger this year on the Striker Ice Predator Suit, got a smoking hot deal with Reeds VIP Deals here on the site! Thanks Reeds & IDO!

Sylvanboat

I went in a different direction. I started using this coverall approach years ago when I had Bears season tickets: out all day in some nasty weather. I bought 2 sizes too big and I add/remove layers as needed. I won’t win any fashion contest but I don’t freeze or sweat.

Attachments:
    1. 85B24A04-FE29-42DA-830C-FBDE4B2ED2B9.jpeg

ekruger01

The climate is the most versatile suit. You can leave the liners in and use it in extreme cold, or pull them and use it in mild temps, OR have any combo. The other models they offer are basically a thinner suit and a thicker suit, the climate offers versatility in being able to have both.

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

Climate. Super warm when needed, versatile, well made, durable.

Scott

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

, well made, durable.

I used to agree, but had no less than 14 repairs made to my last climate, after wearing 15x.
    Warranty was out so striker wouldn’t repair, since I already had a climate suit, I just bought one in case these were ever discontinued… and didn’t wear it for over a year. Then a few times wearing it the thing fell apart.

My seamstress had a hard time putting some major seams back together as there was so little material to work with. She was obviously not impressed.

Disappointing to say the least, because I own one of the first made, and ten years later have needed zero repair. I’ve probably helped sell 1,000’s of these suits over the years due to my experience with my original. So, like usual, as volumes increase quality decreases.

After seamstress fixed everything, it’s holding together.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Question, why would help sell 1000’s of these when you had two suits fall apart on you right away and the company wouldn’t help you?

vinella

Question, why would help sell 1000’s of these when you had two suits fall apart on you right away and the company wouldn’t help you?

I think you need to re-read his post.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Oops, hard t tell where the quote ends. I stand corrected.

Steve Johnson

I use the Predator, and can not imagine needing more insulation, or walking around in anything heavier. While not the heaviest or stiffest of the float suits, they are heavier and stiffer than the normal”non-float” suits. I finally closed the vents and zipped up the front of mine last week. If it is sunny and still on the ice, even the Predator is too hot. I did lose 1 snap on mine already, but they did include extras. I had to buy a tool at a fabric store to set the new snap properly.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.