Strikemaster 24v vs Strikemaster 40v

• Reed

Hey all,
    I’m looking to get some input from Strikemaster owners. I know there are plenty of post with people asking which electric auger is best, but I’m not looking for input about Ions or others. I’ve used Ions and they are nice, but I’m not looking to spend $750 for a new Ion.
    I’m deciding between the SM 40v and the 24v; I’m leaning towards the 8″ 24v with a second battery because I like that it weighs less, the price, and I do feel that it would fit most of my needs. I do most of my fishing in the metro area but do make a few trips to Red or LOW each year; I spend most of my time in a permanent. My question is, for those who have the 24v how does it hold up to the thicker ice? I could get a second battery, but I ideally don’t want to have to rely on that. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

IMO, I grab the 24v as it’s SM latest auger. I know “they” say it won’t be going away but I can’t see SM keeping two very similar options…plus SM doesn’t have the best record for keeping their electric augers around, thus loosing support (batteries being the biggest thing).

Obviously thicker ice takes it toll on electric but the 24V will hold up fine regarding permanent shelter use as you aren’t drill 20-30 holes. I’d personally have 2-3 batteries if venturing way north in late winter…pending if run-and-gunning.

CaptainMusky

The 40 volt strikemaster isnt going to go away any time soon. The 24 and 40 are two totally different markets. The 24 is intended as a direct competitor to the kdrill/pistol bit, etc.
    I have the 40 volt and I absolutely love it. For someone wanting a lighter option I am sure the 24 is also great, but I havent used it.

ryan hunt

Started with the 40v when that first came out, was the best auger I had ever ran. Which was about most every brand prior. The 40v is a beast, once they came out with the lite flite, i put that on the 40v and really liked that, downfall of the 40v is it comes with the steel bit, will never own another steel bit again. Then the wife decided for xmas to get me the 24v, had no use for it as we already owned a 40v with strike flite, but decided to run it and see how it held up through the first year, 24v is fantastic, battery life for me has held up amazing, have not acutally drained one, the weight difference between the 40 and 24 is substantial and at the end of the year, i sold the 40v and kept the 24v. We fished early ice on red and then fished mille lacs all winter in the ice castle. Never ran the 40v last year as the 24 was more than enough.

I will note, the 40v definitely cuts a little better, for the average person your not going to notice much difference speed wise between the two, but if your simply going to go out and drill 8 to 10 holes moving the house or a few to check depth and then drill the house holes and a couple tipups etc go 24v all the way. If your looking to run and gun on lotw end of ice season then the 40v will provide a better solution. For me though, the 24v ended up doing everything i needed and never struggled through anything i cut, mille lacs ice was not quite as thick as some years, i think max i got to cut with it was 24″ but i certainly never noticed any performance issues and do not feel i will ever have an issue with it. The 24 comes with the lite flite, whereas at least last year the 40vs only came with a steel bit, so add another 200 bucks onto the price point.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Hard to beat something that has been around for a few years to give proof as to how it holds up…
    That said, I’m sure the 50v crowd has to be irked…

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I have no experience with the 24V. I bought a 40V – 10″ 2 winters ago. First thing I did was drill 50 holes through 22″ of new, solid ice. ZERO issues. Battery still going. Later that winter I dropped it in the slush. Now I know my 1993 Jiffy would have still run (submerged a few in my day). So …….. I wiped off the slush and drilled some holes. No issues.

If you use an 8″ and don’t plan on dozens of holes, I think the 24V would be what you need.

I don’t know the weight difference from the 40V. I know my 10″ Jiffy was 47# with gas. My 10″ 40V is 26.5#. Very happy with the 40V and I am hard to please, or so I’ve been told many times.

Reed

Thanks guys! I appreciate your quick feedback.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I picked up the 40 with lite flight 2 seasons ago and love it, however I was out on the ice last season and took a 24 for a test drive.
    Wish I had the 24. mrgreen

JoeMX1825
    MN

just a fyi – if you shop around you can find deals on the Ion G2, I believe Sam’s or Costco had them for $500 late last winter? I too was initially scared away by the high price, but after taking some time looking I found an awesome deal, love the G2!

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

The new Pro 40V Lite is an awesome setup. It has the 40V powerhead and comes with the lite flite and new 6ah battery. That being said, I think the 24V would do everything you need it to. With 2 batteries you can drill plenty of holes to find fish even on tougher days. I use a 24V about half way through January and then switch to a 40V.

shockers
    Rochester

Two strikemasters, Pat? As Napoleon would say….LUCKY!

Btw…for the electric strikemasters, do they ever run deals where they have 2 batteries sold for price of one at time of purchase etc, or some other good battery deal? Sounds like whatever choice a guy makes, investing in a second battery is wise.

Sylvanboat

Question re spare battery. I rarely need a spare battery but who knows. If I buy one and rarely use it, does it “wear out” faster?

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Btw…for the electric strikemasters, do they ever run deals where they have 2 batteries sold for price of one at time of purchase etc, or some other good battery deal?

I do recall Strikemaster having a promotion like that a few years ago. If there is a deal to be had you can bet on it being around ice show time.

Question re spare battery. I rarely need a spare battery but who knows. If I buy one and rarely use it, does it “wear out” faster?

From what I understand, Lithium battery life is very much charge cycle dependent. As long as you store it on a full charge, your battery won’t deteriorate from just “sitting”.

CaptainMusky

When I bought my 40volt late last Fall, Scheels ran a promo on a second battery. I got it for like $50.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

One option would be to use one battery till it needs charging and then use the second one till it needs charging, repeat.

If you decide not to use the second battery and let it sit make sure to follow manufacturers storage instructions. For instance the Marcum Lithium shuttle battery is to be stored at about 70% charge when not being used for an extended period of time but then charged back up to 100% before using again.

Reed

The new Pro 40V Lite is an awesome setup. It has the 40V powerhead and comes with the lite flite and new 6ah battery. That being said, I think the 24V would do everything you need it to. With 2 batteries you can drill plenty of holes to find fish even on tougher days. I use a 24V about half way through January and then switch to a 40V.

Thanks again everyone.

Pat I’ve heard people talking about the 40v catching at the bottom of the hole. Have you had many experiences with that? Is this something you’ve heard of happening with the lite flight?

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Pat I’ve heard people talking about the 40v catching at the bottom of the hole. Have you had many experiences with that? Is this something you’ve heard of happening with the lite flight?

I’ve experienced that a few times on lazer mags when the blade pitch was out of whack. I’ve never experienced it on a lite flite.

billy03z71

Ran a 40v last year and loved it, had it catch a time or 2 at first but think it was just user error getting usted to the new augur. Battery life is amazing and plenty of power. One advantage I noticed with the 24v from a buddy was that the handles are more compact which may be nice for tight corners in wheelhouse, I don’t have one so non issue for me.

Ron Burgundy
    Utica MN

Thanks. Now I just have to wait until somebody has them in stock. Maybe the 24 and a spare battery. The Winona area doesn’t usually get the thickness like Northern MN.

S

My friend had the 40V with 10″ steel auger. It was a beast weight-wise, but I am a smaller guy. I purchased the 24V for a friend and he loves it for his wheelhouse.
    It fits in the tight spaces, charges quickly, and never ran the battery out.

On the other hand, I will be sticking with my Milwaukee Fuel and Lite Flite for personal use hole hopping and fishing out of my wheelhouse. It cuts faster and just works for me better.

Ron Burgundy
    Utica MN

Do you think the 24v will hold up over time as well as the 40? I drill around 30-40 holes a day.

renny1

I have an older strike master gas 8″. Wondering if the blades will fit on the lite flight 8″ since I have several pairs that I resharpen. I already have the dewalt drill Thank You

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

^^
    X2

That’s my set-up and I love it.

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

I have the 40v and thinking of getting the lite-flite, what kind of weight are you guys shaving off by switching, is it worth 200 bucks to dump 5 or less pounds if that’s what it is?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I don’t know the exact weight, but it was that big of a deal for me.
    So yeah, it was worth it for me.

StringTheoryAngling
    Alberta, Canada

I weighed each part of my Strikemaster 40V, here’s the results:

Strikemaster 40V with 10” = 26.4 lbs

40V Powerhead (no battery): 12.9 lbs
    40V Battery: 2.9 lbs
    10” Auger flight: 10.6 lb
    Strikemaster Lite Flite 8”: 5.3 lbs

Total 40V weight with the 8″ lite flite = 21.1 lbs.

Is 5.3 lb weight savings worth $200? I’m wondering that myself!

Brittman

I have the 24V SM auger and it performed flawlessly last winter.
    I have a large SUV (not a pickup): No gas odor – ever
    On the ice: No smoke ! Man is it quite drilling holes.

I purchased it on sale and when MF had a %% on-line discount offer too. I purchased the 24MV with lite flite 6″ auger flight. The 6″ hole is more than big enough when fishing pannies. Son easily pulled a 20″ 4# bass through the 6″ whole last January.

I purchased a Lite Flite 8″ auger at a discount later. Have not used it with the 24V SM (yet), but plan to use the 8″ when targeting walleyes and bigger northerns are an option.

I will add a second battery to the arsenal …

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.