Spring Kayak Kings

• Mark Rasmussen

After spending the other weekend up in DePere and catching a ton of walleyes in my kayak, I’ve been itching to get back out on the big pond and start looking for King Salmon. Got out Wednesday after work for a few hours and managed 2 kings (17 and 13 lbs) to go with 2 browns. Great start to the year in Milwaukee.

Attachments:
    1. 20170412_173817.jpg

Mark Rasmussen

Here’s another closeup pic. One “natural” fish, one stocked.

Attachments:
    1. 20170414_072954.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

That’s really got to be a blast fighting those things in a yak. Can’t imagine. Nice catches. toast

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Couldnt be more jealous. Getting into Kayak fishing is something I’d like to get started in down the road for sure… but catching walleye and salmon out of them would be insane. Really only hear of bass fisherman out of kayaks. Would be cool to see a post and pictures about the setup youre going with! Very impressive!

Mark Rasmussen

Thanks, guys. I’ve got some videos I’ve posted before (check my youtube page – markrazzy)
    I could do some pics with my setup. I’ve never really fished for bass, not my thing. Love fishing for king salmon though.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Awesome! What kind of kayak do you use? Currently saving up for one myself

Mark Rasmussen

My advice to you is find the best kayak that suits your wants and needs as a fisherman. No kayak is the best for everything. I knew that I wanted an “affordable” way to fish for salmon out on Lake Michigan… the king salmon is what I live for. So when I could finally afford a kayak, I looked for one that was fast and sleek with some stability. My first kayak was a Wildnerness Systems Tarpon 140 with a rudder. Treated me very well – but I quickly realized that if I wanted to be more efficient trolling for salmon, I needed a “pedal” kayak. Not only is it easier to set lines while your feet keep you in motion, but you can eat, talk on the phone, take care of nature problems, etc, without having to pull your lines in. Not to mention once you finally hook up to a fish, you can keep moving so your baits don’t sink to the bottom. I fished a local kayak series in 2015 where the grand prize was a Hobie Outback. I took 1st in the pike tourney, 4th in the bass tourney, 4th in the catfish tourney and then 1st in the salmon tourney – all while competing against “pro’s” in pedal kayaks. I was crowned the series champion, so I won the outback – which I promptly sold and bought a new (2015) Hobie Revo – a little more my style (fast, sleek). I have both my kayaks decked out with rod holders, fish finders/gps, etc to help my find salmon. My first full season yak fishing for kings, I caught 56 (2015). Last year, I managed 104 kings. Hoping to top that this year, but we’ll see how much I can get out and how many kings are around.

Most people don’t kayak fish salmon or troll as much as I do – so usually stability is a major factor. Something they can get into, stand up and fish for bass. So my advice – again- is to do a lot of research into what you need in a yak.

Attachments:
    1. 20161019_123753.jpg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.