Somebody's Tape Measure is Broken.

• Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

The comment on the article is great:

“If that is 34.5″ then she’s Andre the Giant.”

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

You’re likely right. I’m guessing it’s a typo and was meant to be 24.5″ Doing a rough screen measurement with Andre’s hand I ball-parked it between 21-24″.

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

I didn’t see the bass picture but I’m leaning the other way, too me it looks like it could be over 30 ”

riverruns
    Inactive

It does say “Trophy Tales”!????

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Hey Doug, the angler shares your name. Does exaggeration run in the family?

gordonk
    Inactive

I also noticed that the walleye photo says it was released. To the grease, I suspect. They were on the dock, so it was most likely dragged around on a stringer for half a day or left in the livewell. The tail is a bit beat up. And what kind of grip does she have on the head? At first I thought it was the classic eyeball grip, but it’s not. She could have jammed her thumb into the cheek, I guess.

You get the same overblown measurements on John Gillespie’s show, too. A kid holding up a fourteen inch bass and John intones, “Billy caught this twelve pound smallmouth on a Johnson’s silver minnow!”

This is why I invested in a fish eye lens for my camera. Makes every fish into a giant. A bendy, giant fish. Although it does make my nose appear a bit larger, it’s a small price to pay.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I also noticed that the walleye photo says it was released. To the grease, I suspect.

I’ve seen that a lot since the conservation/catch and release movement. It’s like they want to do the “look at me”, but don’t want the backlash of eating a big fish. So they post or share the picture saying they released it when you know damn well they didn’t.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Pretty tough crowd around here. I have been reading the paper for years and lots of fish stories. Many times these photos are of people who hardly ever fish and were taken by a family member during a vacation. What do we care what size or weight it is? It isn’t like they are submitted for a state record fish consideration. I surely suspect that one day we will be ripping little Johnny for holding up a sunny because he was holding the line instead of cradling it’s stomach.

Continue.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Pretty tough crowd around here. I have been reading the paper for years and lots of fish stories. Many times these photos are of people who hardly ever fish and were taken by a family member during a vacation. What do we care what size or weight it is? It isn’t like they are submitted for a state record fish consideration. I surely suspect that one day we will be ripping little Johnny for holding up a sunny because he was holding the line instead of cradling it’s stomach.

Continue.

X 2 – Couldn’t agree more Dutch.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I couldn’t disagree more. The solution is if you don’t know the length, don’t make one up. If you do know the length, don’t add to it to try and impress people. There is no reason for it.

Now be quiet and look at my 12″ Green Sunfish.

Attachments:
    1. 20170806_191447-1.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

ow look at my 12″ Green Sunfish and shut up.

Dude, that is a snook, not a green sunfish.

Attachments:
    1. 2017-08-10_14-51-59.png

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Dang it, you know how long it took me to photoshop the line out. flame

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Continue.

X2.

The wife recently put a photo on Facebook of our kid with a nice 23″ walleye from pool 2, his personal best. A friend commented that we should send it to the newspaper and my first reaction was “why, so some expert on the internet can point out that he’s not holding it right?”

beanman
    Omaha

How about this one. I’d estimate this fish at maybe 35″.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_2017-08-10-20-26-56.png

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’d say it’s 41. When we first discovered a pike pattern on my brothers lake that happens this time of year, my brother caught a 41 or 45″ pike.

He’s tall and lanky and I have a photo of him holding the pike like that. When I looked at the picture it didn’t look that big, but I know it was because I saw the measurement and he had it stuffed for the cabin.

When it come to kids pictures, I don’t care what they say about it’s measurements. I’m just happy to see a kid brimming holding his fish.

Timmy

I guess what other people want to label their fish is really none of my business. If they caught a fish and are proud of it, good for them. It doesnt diminish any of the fish i have caught and measured.

If you wanna show me a 24″ walleye and tell me it was 30″, good for you and I really hope you enjoyed your catch. I will not let it affect my day at all……i hope you catch another.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Just don’t pee on my leg and tell me it’s raining.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Not sure if you caught this in the paper, but the Smallie (not shown) was claimed to be 6lbs. It was maybe 17″

34.5″ Walleye Huh? Good story. Looks like a 24″ variety. I don’t like to slam peoples photos but seriously who is editing this garbage.

http://www.startribune.com/today-s-trophy-tales-bowfishing-angler-lands-60-inch-gar/439327923/

Totally agree with that! My buddy and I just had this conversation. “Back in the day” the holy grail was a 28″ walleye and a 20″ smallie. Now every 24″ walleye & 17″ bass is claimed to be a 28″ and a 20″! I guess I shouldn’t get upset. People can call them what they want. I guess I am a purist. if it is a 28″ walleye it best read that on a Judge or something like it. Hey, a 27 3/8″ is a hell of a fish! but call it what it is! If you brought that fish to a tournament table and it did not hit 28″, depending on tournament rules you could get DQ’d.
    Rant over.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It’s hard for me to not post the weight of a fish. I think it’s better to just bypass all the drama and let people call it as they read it. Which brings me to people that don’t fish for flatheads.

Since a 30 pound fish is seldom seen by MOST (insert species here) folks, every darn fish that’s caught is listed as 50 pounds.

No it wasn’t on a scale, but they use to lift 50 pound sacks of flour. LOL!

But as mentioned above, it really doesn’t matter. I’m not going to pop their memory of a life time bubble.

It’s at least 50 pounds!!

beanman
    Omaha

I’m anal about numbers. I measure my fish and never round up, I don’t see why people need to lie about stuff like this. To each their own I guess. BTW this is a 41″ Kabetogama pike. I still say bs to the Kab pike I posted above.

Attachments:
    1. FB_IMG_1502149180562.jpg

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You (or whoever is holding that fish) has big hands coffee

You can’t compare your picture to his because of the field of view.

This post has got me thinking I don’t give a rip anymore about people posting measurements/weights. There are so many variables involved and the bottom line is who cares.

I just like well composed pictures like the one above. Get the camera close to the fish and make it the star.

I still stand by my hatred of those who take pictures holding a fish not looking at the camera, but instead gazing at the fish as if they are about to violate it.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Fisherman tell tales, its what we do.

hnd

You’re likely right. I’m guessing it’s a typo and was meant to be 24.5″ Doing a rough screen measurement with Andre’s hand I ball-parked it between 21-24″.

yeah, the average man’s middle finger from tip to major knuckle is 2.25″. using that as a guide (even though its a woman’s finger) it put me at 24″.(took about 20 seconds) so i have to assume that was a typo.

as i find that most of the 20″ smallmouth i catch are usually in the 4lb range give or take.

hnd

i get the “who cares!?” side of the argument but i also get the “have some integrity” side as well. release/holding crap i could care less. if its legal i don’t care at all. but size?

my grandfather willed me his subscription to the nafc. it was a lifetime subscription but when we moved 10 years ago, i forgot to inform them and haven’t cared much but what we got a kick out of were the 5+lb bass in the back that people were claiming to catch. hilarious.

we have a guy that fishes around us locally who has pictures of himself with 20-22″ walleye that he says are 28-32″ walleyes. he shows them to you all the time. and he’s like “why would i lie” when nearly everyoen is like that doesn’t look 30…its always a good time down at the ole shore fishing hole.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I only fell for that once…jerk.

Timmy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>

I only fell for that once…jerk.

How would you know? whistling

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I have found when I take selfies I can make a 17″ bass appear 15″ to 20″ depending on where I hold the camera and fish. From that I have concluded that judging the size of a fish from a picture can be awfully deceiving.

This year I finally got one of those Rapala scales where it can simultaneously show weights for 8 fish. I now weigh most of my bass in a quest to figure out the weight of my best 6 for the day. A couple of times I thought an 18″ fish under weighed by about a pound. Either the scale was taring them wrong or the length and girth that the fished appeared to me was awfully deceiving.

Those are my experiences.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.