Smoked Cheese

• koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Mine didn’t turn out so well.

The gouda is way too Smokey. Pretty much inedible.

The cheddar is a bit too smokey but tolerable.

I did cut the blocks in half the long way and vacuum sealed them so i still have some in the fridge. Hopefully they will mellow out more.

Next time maybe an hour of smoke instead of three.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Soft white cheeses seem to work the best then the colby and medium to mild cheddars. jmo

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Soft white cheeses seem to work the best then the colby and medium to mild cheddars. jmo

And my opinion is the exact opposite. I’m of the opinion that soft cheeses are like smoking white fish versus salmon, they absorb way more smoke. Soft cheeses equal shorter smoke times. But everyone has their preferences.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Obviously Dave’s and my pallets differ. We seem to prefer a little heaver smoke flavor.

Dave, can you find aged yellow and white cheese commercially done on your cheese shoppes shelves in Utah?

What are your favorites?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Just did another batch before it gets too warm. 4 lbs of Med and sharp cheddar. 2 hours on the dot of cold smoking with consistently thick smoke. Got some nice color but not as dark as I have seen.
    Now the loooooong wait! bawling

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Yum. I’ve been thinking about doing another batch, too. Havarti is still my fav.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Yum. I’ve been thinking about doing another batch, too. Havarti is still my fav.

Its so easy to do I may as well do it again soon and try Havarti!
    I think I am doing salmon this weekend. If so Ill post in one of the fish recipe posts if it turns out. Trying a new recipe and super excited.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Today is the day but I cheated and opened one yesterday. Turned out awesome!
    So easy and such a treat. I will always be grateful for learning about it right here!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I think I am doing salmon this weekend. If so Ill post in one of the fish recipe posts if it turns out. Trying a new recipe and super excited.

How’d it turn out?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

How’d it turn out?

It turned out well. The brine was spot on and the stepped temp increase resulted in very firm product. The only downside was the meat was likely older and previously frozen. I bought it at Sam’s Club cheap. The dark stuff from the skin side was nasty and had to be trimmed off. I would love to repeat with fresh fillets. Thanks for asking. Doing cheese again this week. It has been amazing. We end up giving half away to friends and eating our share FAST.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

@suzuki
    I can never get over how much the guy in the youtube video sounds so much like Yogi Bear! I’ve watched some of his videos, I just can’t watch many.

What was the salmon recipe?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I cut this recipe in half for two salmon fillets.

Brine Ingredients:
    • 1 gallon cold water
    • 1 quart teriyaki or soy sauce
    • 1 cup pickling salt
    • 2 lbs. brown sugar
    • 2 Tbsp. garlic powder
    • 3 Tbsp. cayenne pepper

Brine 12 hours.

Overnight in fridge to form pellicle

Temps below. Only used smoke for a few hours.

1. 100°F – 120°F for 1-2 hours
    2. Increase to 140°F for 2-4 hours
    3. Increase to 175°F for 1-2 hours to finish

Hit 145 deg in meat.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Just picked up 8 lbs of cheese for smoking. Ill wait a couple days for the temp to drop again. I have had very good luck with the 1 lb packages of Crystal Farms Cheddar. Its on sale at Jerry’s in med, sharp and extra sharp.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Batch one done. Now the long wait.

Attachments:
    1. 20221012_140822.jpg

2. 20221012_133114.jpg

404 ERROR
    MN

Looks great! I did my first round of smoked cheese this summer. Did it at night with a tray of ice in the smoker. It turned out amazing and I can’t wait to do it again. White Cheddar was my favorite.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Getting to be that time of the year! Fingers crossed for a good cheese sale.

Coletrain27

Can you freeze them or do you just keep them in the fridge?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Cracked one a day early. It worked again! So glad I learned to do this.
    Jerrys still has Crystal Farms cheese on sale. At least in Woodbury. This cheese works very well for this.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Cracked one a day early. It worked again! So glad I learned to do this.
    Jerrys still has Crystal Farms cheese on sale. At least in Woodbury. This cheese works very well for this.

that cheese looks good!!!! waytogo when i smoke it Suzuki i usually cut those blocks in half. i think it absorbs the smoke better. and vacum packing it seems to push the smoke in deeper!!!!!

looking at the picture it doesnt look like the cheese took on that smoke look. i’ve had that issue to but turns out really good!!!!!!!

its been awhile since i bought cheese to smoke but think i get the cyrstal farms also. i usually get mine at cub..i do get a few different brands depending on the available flavors of cheese.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Its on sale at Jerry’s in med, sharp and extra sharp.

Which one do you prefer?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>
    Its on sale at Jerry’s in med, sharp and extra sharp.

Which one do you prefer?

Almost assuredly Sharp or extra but I haven’t tried them on this batch yet. Started with the most boring. Actually the co-jack will be just as dull but good. Smoke really amps up the appeal of the milder cheeses. I need to try some other cheeses mentioned in this thread. Next round I hope.

CaptainMusky

What flavor of pellets/etc do you prefer for cheese? I would think a fruit tree blend would be best? Hickory I suppose too, but mesquite I think would be a bad idea.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

What flavor of pellets/etc do you prefer for cheese? I would think a fruit tree blend would be best? Hickory I suppose too, but mesquite I think would be a bad idea.

I have used cherry every time. As infrequently as I do it Im not changing!! )

Glen, I think that unwrapped pic I took was before? I smoked the heck out of it for two hours. I was worried my smoke was too thick. I would think I got it as dark as possible?
    Do you think I can go past two hours? Im always afraid of ruining it and wasting all the cheese and money.

CaptainMusky

Hey if it works and you and your family like the end product no way Id switch or experiment either. I am going to have to pick up the A-Maze-N smoke tube today and try this over the weekend.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

suzuki…..i have the small 6 inch amizin tube….i leave it on till the pellets are done smoking…so yea i probably is longer than 2 hours. i’ve never had cheese “too smoky”. the one thing i’ve noticed is each batch seems to turn out a bit different as far as the smoke color goes!! not sure why but turns out ok!!!!!

personally i’m not a huge fan of chedder cheese, maybe the chedder jack. i really like pepper jack. i also smoke gouda, mozzerrella, swiss havalarti and a few others.

i use apple pellets and like them……..when there gone i may try a different flavor.

CaptainMusky

Gouda is definitely the first cheese I am going to smoke along with Swiss. Smoked gouda is just awesome. I buy it in stores now when I make mac and cheese on the smoker. It melts so nice.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Gouda is definitely the first cheese I am going to smoke along with Swiss. Smoked gouda is just awesome. I buy it in stores now when I make mac and cheese on the smoker. It melts so nice.

think a few of those cheeses cyrstal farms doesnt have, at least from what i remember so you may have to get it from a different brand!!!!!!

i’m a firm believer it splitting them in 2.

CaptainMusky

think a few of those cheeses cyrstal farms doesnt have, at least from what i remember so you may have to get it from a different brand!!!!!!

i’m a firm believer it splitting them in 2.

Yeah, come to think of it most of the time when I find gouda it is already smoked. I might have to go to an actual meat market to get it. I know I saw it at McDonald’s Meats when I was there Saturday.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m pretty sure I have bought Crystal Farms gouda. I’ve definitely bought non-smoked gouda at Cub.

I use apple pellets.

CaptainMusky

Unfortunately we dont have a cub here anymore. I am sure Byerlys or perhaps even Aldi has it however. Coborns has such a stranglehold in this area its ridiculous. It was very difficult for Costco even to get in. I would love to have a HyVee but that will never happen.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.