Smoked Cheese

• glenn57
    cold spring mn

Unfortunately we dont have a cub here anymore. I am sure Byerlys or perhaps even Aldi has it however. Coborns has such a stranglehold in this area its ridiculous. It was very difficult for Costco even to get in. I would love to have a HyVee but that will never happen.

yep!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Smoked cheese, is this the Packers thread? tongue jester

glenn57
    cold spring mn

could be, they have been getting ” smoked” lately!!🤣🤣🤣

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Crystal Farms gouda! 2/$6 at Cub this week.

Attachments:
    1. 20221026_174718-scaled.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Lol after Sunday night in Buffalo it might be rotten or expired cheese. jester

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Here we go again. We cant get enough of this stuff. Just about finished the last batch by ourselves. This one has some Gouda and Havarti along with med and sharp cheddar per previous suggestions. I will say we prefer the sharp over medium but the medium is not bad and especially good to grate and cook with.
    Im going to package some of this batch smaller and give as holiday gifts along with my wifes cookie baskets. Alllllllll my good friends and neighbors I like will get some. So probably 2 people……

Attachments:
    1. 20221122_115851-scaled.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Tis the season again. Fall and spring for me. I have good luck with temps above freezing but not warm.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Tis the season again. Fall and spring for me. I have good luck with temps above freezing but not warm.

yep, somewhere around here i got a picture of smoked cheese i did in mid summer……wit has a little drippy!!!!!!!! doah chased rotflol

Coletrain27

I have 2 packs in the fridge yet. I should do another batch before it gets too warm. We found that we like the pepperjack the best

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

yep, somewhere around here i got a picture of smoked cheese i did in mid summer…

LOL. I had that issue once–I put a big bowl of ice in the Weber!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I got really good color this time.

Attachments:
    1. 20230403_152009-scaled.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

What are those multi-colored ones?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

What are those multi-colored ones?

Kowalskis brand mixed cheese jalapeño. We found it recently and really enjoy it. It’s got a nice bite. Hope it’s good smoked.

Coletrain27

Kowalskis brand mixed cheese jalapeño. We found it recently and really enjoy it. It’s got a nice bite. Hope it’s good smoked.

that sounds awesome and i bet its great smoked

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Its that time again! I just did a big batch of med cheddar today and am excited to try it in two weeks. I dont think I have done it with temps this warm before but it turned out with a nice color and Im hoping a little deeper smoke flavor. I am always leery of over-smoking because I know that can make it nasty. I found a deal on some bulk cheese in a small town up north and it seems perfect for smoking. Giterdone boys. You wont regret it.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

this thread has got me hungry. when ive smoked cheese in the past ive put about 4 or 5 briquettes in my weber with a chunk of wood above it for smoke. im something of a purist but im considering getting one of the A-maze tube things and using pellets

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I’ve finally got around to smoking some cheese for the first time. I use the Amaze-N-Tube and just let it run for about 2 hours. The first small batch I did the end of August turned out great! I just did another batch this last Sunday. Now the 2 week wait!

Attachments:
    1. Smoked-Cheese-10823-scaled.jpg

2. Smoked-Cheese-82723-scaled.jpg

Baitwaster
    South metro

Has anyone done cream cheese? I have a buddy who’s done it, wondering if anyone else has experience and input…

Thanks!

Baitwaster
    South metro

Thanks for the link –

Was along the lines I was thinking by putting it on foil as to avoid the melt mess. Also using the smoke tube instead of the grill being fired.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve finally got around to smoking some cheese for the first time. I use the Amaze-N-Tube and just let it run for about 2 hours. The first small batch I did the end of August turned out great! I just did another batch this last Sunday. Now the 2 week wait!

I need to get one of those tubes but its hard when my hillbilly method keeps working. I fill a soup can half way with shredded wood chips (cherry) then lay it down sideways in the bottom of the smoker with a soldering iron in it. jester Damn think works but I have to fiddle with it a few times during the process.

FYI-Anyone out there can use these cold smoke methods in just about any kind of container to smoke things. Your existing grill, a cardboard box, etc.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I need to get one of those tubes but its hard when my hillbilly method keeps working. I fill a soup can half way with shredded wood chips (cherry) then lay it down sideways in the bottom of the smoker with a soldering iron in it. jester Damn think works but I have to fiddle with it a few times during the process.

FYI-Anyone out there can use these cold smoke methods in just about any kind of container to smoke things. Your existing grill, a cardboard box, etc.

They are nice. I bought it specifically for cold smoking. With the cheese I actually put it in my propane grill because my smoker requires heat to make smoke. I also have more room to put a couple cooling racks on the grill grates with the cheese on those. It works great!

ThunderLund78

A-MAZ-N tubes are awesome and pretty much fool proof. That’s what I use when I do cheese. In fact that’s the source of my smoke in my homebuilt smoker no matter what I’m smoking.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

A-MAZ-N tubes are awesome and pretty much fool proof. That’s what I use when I do cheese. In fact that’s the source of my smoke in my homebuilt smoker no matter what I’m smoking.

Do they put out a good amount of smoke? Do they last without relighting?
    Must you buy their wood product or will others work in the tube?
    Thanks

Baitwaster
    South metro

Most of them are similar- fill with pellets, light with torch, and your off. I find the one I have will smoke for about 1.5 hours. Of course depends on pellets, air flow, capacity..

ThunderLund78

Do they put out a good amount of smoke? Do they last without relighting?
    Must you buy their wood product or will others work in the tube?
    Thanks

Yes, they put out plenty of smoke – I have two and I’ll lite them both if I’m doing a bigger smoke like a shoulder, etc. But usually one does the job. I have different lengths, too, the 18″ will give you 6 hrs of continuous smoke if you want. I’ve never had an issue with them going out if you light them good the first time.

Oh, and I haven’t found a pellet that wont work in them. I don’t even think they make their own?

Coletrain27

All the pellet tubes are pretty much the same. I made one and I have another I got at menards for like 5 bucks on sale. They burn a long time and I use a torch to start mine

Viewing 27 posts - 61 through 87 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.