Smoked Cheese

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Im finally smoking cheese for the first time today. Cheddar, swiss and co-jack. According to everything I read I will vacuum seal it once done smoking and let it rest in the fridge for at least two weeks. I know this topic has come up here before but lets hear some smoked cheese stories if you got them.

Go Spuds

IDK if they are stories so much as advice-Its way better to have too little smoke than 2 much. My first batch tasted like an ashtray. Ive found letting them sit loosely covered in fridge for a few hours prior to vac sealing them has worked well for whatever reason. Letting them sit for a week or 2-3 is spot on…it really helps the smoke mellow and incorporate into the cheese imo…have fun!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I usually wrap in parchment paper and set them in the fridge for a day or two, then seal them and let them mellow in the fridge for 2 weeks.

Mine always disappears way too quickly. )

IceManBran

Following. I’ve had a Big Green Egg for a few years now but have never given cold smoked cheese a go. I have an A-maze-n smoker for it to run pellets with, but am curious on general timeframes etc.

Jeff Gilberg

All of the above.
    I go about 1 1/2 to 2 hours

Attachments:
    1. 1C52A2BD-CC80-4193-8431-96243E3F34DD.jpeg

2. C4ED05CC-767C-4D46-A973-E68B7DF48532.jpeg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I go about 1 1/2 to 2 hours

Same. The bigger the blocks, the longer I smoke them, but I have never gone more than 2 hours. String cheese, I’ll do for an hour or a little longer.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I don’t have any parchment paper so I’m going right to vacuum sealing on this first run. I’ve read several first hand reports this will work. Next time I’ll try the paper method. One more hour of smoking to go! I’ll let it rest outside in the cold smoker for a couple hours before packaging.

Go Spuds

Following. I’ve had a Big Green Egg for a few years now but have never given cold smoked cheese a go. I have an A-maze-n smoker for it to run pellets with, but am curious on general timeframes etc.

I dont have an Egg-Im a weber guy but in the kamado just need a couple pieces of lump or briquettes and some smoke wood-works great

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I just cold smoked cheese 2 days ago. I keep some out in zip locks I plan to use right away.

The others I vacuum pack right away also. I was told vacuum packing right away pushes the smoke flavor deeper. I have the 6 inch tube, fill it with apple pellets and let it go till it quits smoking. I like the way it turns out.

I just use my weber charcoal grill.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

A-Maze-N the only way to go. I make sawdust out of pellets for my smoke.

Ashtray taste is sometimes a sign that combustion took place and the smoke was dirty rather than smoke time. It can also occur if the smoke goes stale from staying in the box too long, not enough circulation.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I need to get a maze. This time I used a vegetable can filled with cherry wood then I set a soldering iron inside. Worked perfectly.
    Now the loooong wait!

Attachments:
    1. 20201208_171220.jpg

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I don’t waste vacuum wrap until I have taste tested about the 10 day mark.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I followed directions so I doubt its a waste.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Now the loooong wait!

That’s the worst part!!!

A-Maze-N works great. After I bought one a few years ago, I found out that my cousin and her husband started the company. rotflol . They sold it a year or two ago.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

What temperature do you smoke cheese at?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Cold. I just put my A-Maze-N tube in the Weber. I try not to let it get above 90 F or so. You don’t want the cheese to melt.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

With the A-Maze-N, you never turn the smoker on. Before I had the A-Maze-N, took one rack on the smoker and covered it with frozen bottles of ice and smoker on lowest setting. You don’t want the cheese area to get warmer than about 75 degrees. That might require close monitoring and turning the smoker on and off. I highly recommend spending the $20 on the A-Maze-N or similar smoke chamber.

haleysgold
    SE MN

I like the idea of the A-Maze-N but I have a really dumb question and don’t see anything on their website either.
    Maybe I missed it?

How do you light it?

Update: Never mind. There’s a ton of you tube videos on lighting em.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I like the idea of the A-Maze-N but I have a really dumb question and don’t see anything on their website either.
    Maybe I missed it?

How do you light it?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

My add to the lighting/keeping it lit tip is that I blow on it for about 30 seconds like an old 4th of July punk until a nice red cherry forms on the end.

Coletrain27

I lay mine down and use a torch until it’s good and burning. I also don’t fill mine up totally full and that seems to help.

CaptainMusky

What’s the preferred wood to use for smoking cheese? I have a kamado and will get one of those A-Maze-N contraptions, but would need to get some pellets since I dont currently have any since I use lump charcoal and hardwood chunks.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Can you freeze cheese? It never lasts that long in my house so I never have considered doing it.

If not, how long will vacuum sealed cheese last in the fridge?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Can you freeze cheese? It never lasts that long in my house so I never have considered doing it.

If not, how long will vacuum sealed cheese last in the fridge?

The type of cheese plays a role in how long it will last. Hard cheeses can last up to a year but soft cheeses like Monterey Jack a few months. I think freezing ruins the texture so don’t advise doing that.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

What’s the preferred wood to use for smoking cheese? I have a kamado and will get one of those A-Maze-N contraptions, but would need to get some pellets since I dont currently have any since I use lump charcoal and hardwood chunks.

Sawdust is my preferred way to go in the Maze. Before I started using pellets to make my sawdust, I took my chunk hardwoods and ran them through my tablesaw with a box underneath to capture all the sawdust.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

I bought a couple of smaller pieces of cheese to give it a try.

I used apple pellets in a smoke tube on my weber kettle.

I’m not sure why but I left them smoke for 3 hours instead of 2.

Hopefully they wont be too smokey.

Attachments:
    1. 20201212_121342.jpg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I bought a couple of smaller pieces of cheese to give it a try.

I used apple pellets in a smoke tube on my weber kettle.

I’m not sure why but I left them smoke for 3 hours instead of 2.

Hopefully they wont be too smokey.

i let them go that long and dont think there to smoky. i also cut the ones you have pictured in half and space then out.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

It worked! Opened the first one last night and it’s very good. I tried the regular Crystal Farms cheddar which is pretty blah for cheese but smoking made it much better. It comes on a hair strong at first but quickly mellows followed by a nice after taste. After trying the others I’ll decide if they need more aging or less smoke for next time. Highly recommend!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Nice. Cub had/has blocks on sale 4/$10. I smoked some on Sunday. I did a pepper jack, colby jack, and 2 havartis. Havarti is probably one of my faves. Now, to wait another week and a half.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

It worked! Opened the first one last night and it’s very good. I tried the regular Crystal Farms cheddar which is pretty blah for cheese but smoking made it much better. It comes on a hair strong at first but quickly mellows followed by a nice after taste. After trying the others I’ll decide if they need more aging or less smoke for next time. Highly recommend!

In cases where even after a long curing process it is on the strong side, I’ve trimmed the outer skin off which holds most of the heavy smoke taste.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.