Slip bobber rod recommendations

• MrWalleye74

I’m looking to purchase two new slip bobber rods. Ideally the rod would be 7’6 in length, one or two piece, medium or medium light action, fast or moderate fast tip, with larger eyelets to allow the slip to pass through easier. Any recommendations?

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I have 4 Limit Creek 8’3” extendable that I use primarily for bobber rods. Can’t beat em in my opinion.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I have a 7′ 3″ medium light with a moderate fast action. I had been using mono on it but will put a braid on it since you really need to reef on it to set the hook. I bought a medium 7′ rod with a fast action this year that I’ll use mono on.

MrWalleye74

Limit creek smoothie…interesting. Wish they were still $90. Never had an extendable before.

Reef W

I have Okuma Epixor 7’6″ moderate fast ML for my bobber rods. Was mainly because it was all I could find in stock at the time, with similar specs to what you are looking for, but I like them. I think they were about $70 when I got them.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I use Fenwick HMG’s for this application all though lots of rods would work well. I use only mono on them just reel up the slack and give em the billy.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

I’ve fallen in love with Gapen’s 10ft ML fast action rods for all things live bait. They make great slip bobber rods. They’re marketed as panfish/ rough fish/ steelhead rod but are incredibly versatile.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I know many people like the Rainshadow IMMWS76ML. Batson Enterprises designed this blank specifically for walleye rigging and slip bobber applications.

It is a bobber rod and there are many options that will work. Just make sure the guides are not too small so the bobber stop will go thru without hanging up. Extra length will help with hook sets and taking up slack line. The right action blank will help with keeping the bait on your hook when you cast.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

The “Smoothie” is a different rod all together. 6’9” one piece. The 8’3” is extendable.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

7’ 6” Diamondback (?) I got from Joe’s Sporting goods for $50, regularly $100. Never heard of it before I felt it, fit the specs for a perfect bobber rod, high quality guides etc. Not sure if it was dealer demo leftovers or what, but just as good if not better than my Smoothie.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Let’s be honest. Its a bobber rod. You toss it out, let it sit, toss it in the rod holder, drink some beer, and wait for it to go down. Then just set the hook. Not like you need a lot of sensitivity for it.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Let’s be honest. Its a bobber rod. You toss it out, let it sit, toss it in the rod holder, drink some beer, and wait for it to go down. Then just set the hook. Not like you need a lot of sensitivity for it.

True G, but I have found the longer rods help a lot with hook sets especially fishing at night.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

but I have found the longer rods help a lot with hook sets

I agree, little better hookset with a longer rod.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

X3 on limit creek telescoping handle. It’s pretty rare that I miss one with such a long sweep

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I use a 7’6″ St Croix Premier ML Extra Fast action and that works well.

MrWalleye74

Researched the Limit Creek 8’3 expandable online after recommendations on here, talked to Jim over the phone, and ordered two. Excited to try them. Thanks, all.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Jim was great to deal with. After talking with him, I ended getting 2 of his casting rods that make for great bottom bouncer rods.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ve fallen in love with Gapen’s 10ft ML fast action rods for all things live bait. They make great slip bobber rods. They’re marketed as panfish/ rough fish/ steelhead rod but are incredibly versatile.

Watching you fish these rods I will be picking 1 up. Very versatile rods

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I couldn’t disagree with you more. After you cast off a small fortune in live bait, you have a custom built with larger diameter eyes. Now that I had one built (Thanks rod works) I save a ton on live bait and I swear a lot less.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

This depends on slip bobber size and weight of terminal rig. It also depends on wide open water or structure targeting technique. It also depends on shallow water presentation or deep water rigging. You can fish a micro planing board or down to practically a strike indicator float.

B-man

Steelhead rods make for awesome bobber rods. Long, big guides and the right action

empty_stringer
    Wahkon, Mn

Agreed you don’t need lindyrig sensitivity but a rod that loads up nicely on the cast, gives you a good hookset that’s not vertical, etc. I have designated bobber rods for many reasons, and certain times on certain lakes this presentation will out perform with or without beer.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I use a 7’6″ St Croix Premier ML Extra Fast action and that works well.

X2 – Great rod ! wave

-J.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

and certain times on certain lakes this presentation will out perform with or without beer.

You can’t bobber fish without a beer. Just can’t be done. toast

Sylvanboat

My experience too. I use a St Croix UL and Daiwa spinning reel and hope the fish don’t interfere with the drinking.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Hands down, limit creek 8’3″ extendable.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

You can certainly do it this way, but once you realize you’re doing it wrong, you’ll buy a decent rod.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.