Shotgun Fitting & Adjustment?

• Rainylakefisher

I need some advice and help with a Benelli Ethos I got for my 50th birthday. I’m REALLY struggling with this gun. I miss more easy shots than with any other gun I own. I would never pretend to shoot 100%, but I honestly think something is out of whack with the fit of the gun, POI, ??? I’m in the NW metro. Does anyone know of a gun expert that can help me get it dialed in?

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Have you patterned the gun on paper and have you done anything with the LOP? Both of those will tell you a lot of information.

Rainylakefisher

I was doing some internet reading about fitting. Pattern is slightly high at 25 yards which for pheasants appears preferable. Haven’t looked at LOP yet. From what I read 2″ between thumb and nose (at mount) is ideal?

E4mo

The Benelli Ethos is a beautiful shotgun. It’s a bummer it didn’t fit you right out of the box. I think you can self diagnose before having to call in a pro.

Here’s my method.

I shoot at a 12 inch round splatter target in the middle of a big sheet of cardboard at 17 yards. I use a full choke and #8 target loads to get a nice tight pattern, which will tell me exactly where my point of impact is.

I mount and fire the gun quickly, as if the splatter target on the cardboard is a flushing rooster (you may need to repeat a few times to get a good sample size). If the pattern is centered on the aim point, the gun is fitted correctly. If not, the point of impact doesn’t match point of aim and it’s time to shim the stock.

When you install a shim, it’s time to repeat the process to verify the result. Your gun should have come with instructions on how to install the shims.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I was doing some internet reading about fitting. Pattern is slightly high at 25 yards which for pheasants appears preferable.

This sounds like “in theory” advice to me. In theory, you’re shooting a rising bird so the pattern high would provide some lead. In reality, I would be willing to bet that 90% of misses on flushed birds are misses over the top of the bird due to a hasty and incomplete mount with the cheek not finding the stock properly. To me, the last thing I would want is a shotgun patterning high.

As others have mentioned, you’ll need to pattern it to know for sure.

Also, Winchester and Fiocchi both offer “tracer” shotgun ammo. They work differently, but they both make it far easier to see your shot string and determine where you’re missing. Even better if you’re able to have someone video over your shoulder as you shoot.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I would agree with Grouse’s statements regarding desired pattern location. I prefer to have my pattern be as close to 50/50 vertically as I can, and then adjust my lead to accommodate.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

What choke are you using?

The Benelli Ethos is a fine shotgun BTW.

Tom schmitt

I would start by looking at a spot with an empty gun, and then close your eyes as you bring the gun to your face.
    Open your eyes you should be fairly close to target with the gun in your preferred alignment.
    If not then start looking at fit.
    The next step would be to put some clay targets up on some sticks and try quickly shooting a stationary target.
    Quite often miss targets with a new shogun comes from the difference in trigger pull. Hitting flying targets is a timing game as much as an aiming game. Trigger pull changes the timing aspect.

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

If you’re going from a heavier shotgun to a lightweight like an Ethos there is a good chance that you are slowing your swing and shooting behind everything. Lightweghts take a little more follow-through and it can be a big adjustment. Been there.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.