Sewage vent question?

• chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

I’m redoing our basement entry, which includes replacing a wall. Previously our vent for our sewer was on the outside of the wall that I tore out. It was ugly and in the way. Is there any reason that I can’t route those vent lines to go between the studs of the new wall?

big_g
    Isle, MN

you can, just make sure it is in a spot where someone couldn’t run a screw/nail into it… treat them much like a water line.

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

you can, just make sure it is in a spot where someone couldn’t run a screw/nail into it… treat them much like a water line.

(no experience in this field) But I’d think I would be even more careful, water at least is clean, where as… well you get the idea is not so clean.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Sewer vent pipe is just air.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

CC, what size is your vent pipe? Sometimes that pipe diameter plus a fitting will cause one to have to go up one size, i.e. 2 X 6 from 2 X 4.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Not a plumber but studied the issue when I put a sink in my garage last year. Make sure all fittings angle up so condensation can run back to the drain line. Also make sure your pipe is sized right.

Iowaboy1

and the way that air smells sometimes,I would bet you could light it!!!!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Vent for sewer? Is it a vent for plumbing fixture? Usually sewer lines dont have a vent on them unless its at a fixture. Think Wisc code is simialar to MN where the vent needs to stay at a 45 degree angle or more until it gets 6″s above the spill line of the fixture it serves. This helps in keeping the vent clear and keeps you drain running properly.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

It’s a bunch of fixture vents that are consolidated into one pipe. That joins another pipe which vents the sewer main, and goes through the roof. Unfortunately it turns out that where I had to frame the wall I won’t be able to punch a hole through the footer. If I want to hide it I would have to build a soffit. I don’t know if I want to put that much effort into it.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

The other way you could potentially hide it would be to box it out like a column or pilaster.

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>SuperDave1959 wrote:</div>

and the way that air smells sometimes,I would bet you could light it!!!!

Yup, there are many very good reasons drain traps are mandatory on ALL plumbing fixtures. And there are also very good reasons all vent stacks must be a minimum distance from all windows and air intakes. They also need to be protected with steel stud guards wherever they penetrate a stud or joist if the object is 1.5″ or less from the stud/joist face.

You DO NOT want that “AIR” inside your home.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.