Getting the big Browns to commit

• Rusty21

Hey all,

I have been fishing the middle branch of whitewater as much as possible lately. I have been catching plenty of fish but the majority are the smaller ones. The big Browns have been teasing me though, I see a ton of them swipe at my lure but they rarely commit.

Any tips on tricking the big girls? I use a spinning rod and usually throw small stick baits and I will downsize to spinners if the stick baits aren’t working..

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Best bait I ever used for big browns was the Panther martin with the black body and yellow spots. Always seemed to be able to pull a big brown with that bait over all the double blade mepps etc….

drew-evans
    rochester MN

use big jointed stick baits…… big fish eat big meals (not always) used to trout fish allot and have many many browns over 20″ up to 28″ all out of small streams 90 percent on a 7″ or bigger jointed stick bait. cant remember exact size #. good luck

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

use big jointed stick baits……

X2 on the bigger stick baits. Both jointed and regular stick baits are good.
    Don’t be afraid to let the stick bait sit in the current with zero retrieve speed. Just sitting there wiggling back & forth can be deadly.

spindoctor

Rusty,
    The trout are feeding heavy on crayfish and baitfish. Use larger spinners, and go slow to get deep.
    Electric Blue Super Bows have been working very well, so have copper spinners.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.