Rubber or neoprene hunting boots.

• robby
    Quad Cities

Seeking advise and recommendations. I am in search of some rubber or neoprene high calf length hunting boots. Here is the deal, I am a bigger guy and do have muscular calfs and larger ankles, plenty of fat too, lol. I am looking for side zip boots like this, or others that are generously sized. I have a hard time getting most of these boots both on and off. Fighting this often aggravates my bad back. Any insights or recommendations? Looking to use bow hunting or using in wet areas. The non-insulated ones at Farm and Fleet etc, I can get on and off fine, but they are not comfortable to walk in. Not much there for arch support, etc.. I appreciate your time to respond. Camo or olive green/brown are also wanted. Be safe and enjoy your Fall Season.

Coletrain27

I got a pair of lacrosse alphaburly boots last year and really like them. They are not side zip but are easy to take on and off for me. I think the trick is to get just the right size of these type boots. The first pair I tried were too small and after a day of deer hunting when I got home I could not get them off myself. I returned them for a bigger pair and am very happy.

robby
    Quad Cities

I do appreciate your response. I have tried that, does not work for me. Thanks again.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Definitely neoprene uppers. Rubber is stiff and cold in colder weather. Neoprene traps air, and is much more comfortable. I haven’t shopped any out in a long time, so no recommendations

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I wear both alphaburlys and muck arctic pros. I recommend both. Neither have zippers nor have I seen any with zippers

stevenoak

Like Bearcat. I have Burly/Arctics. One thing neoprenes don’t fare well in thorns and briars. It’s a bit of a pain. But I wear lighter uninsulated boots walking in. Then I have loose fitting Artics I carry in or leave in my blind. The blind is wood and mouseproof. My feet don’t sweat walking in. When I put the cold boots on, it cools my feet and warms the boots to a happy medium without any sweat. Often leave my bibs and coat in the blind as well. Especially if I come out mid-day.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

I went with the Tidewe neoprene upper boots. been very pleased so far and under $100

Bill Douglas
    Brookings, SD

The Lacrosse Alphaburly boots also come with a side zipper. Scheels carries them.
    wmd

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’m a bigger guy too and have the Irish Setter Rutmaster’s and like them a lot. Almost as comfortable walking as a regular boot, very good ankle support too which I like. Side strap is preferable to a zipper imo, as you can make it as tight or loose as you’d like.
    http://www.sportsmans.com/footwear-outdoor-casual-men-women-youth/mens-outdoor/hunting-boots/irish-setter-mens-rutmaster-20-800g-primaloft-insulated-waterproofhunting-boots-size-8/p/1434012?channel=shopping&msclkid=eccd6a71c0a516ae67b80b11b68ba67c&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20-%20Shopping%20-%20NB%20-%20Footwear%20-%20Med%20-%20No%20Stores&utm_term=4580840327596897&utm_content=Men%27s%20Outdoor

robby
    Quad Cities

Thanks BigWerm and others. Big, are they true to size? Need to order larger or smaller?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Pretty true to size, but I ordered slightly larger by a size for room for wool socks.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I wear both alphaburlys and muck arctic pros. I recommend both. Neither have zippers nor have I seen any with zippers

I run the alphaburlys as well. They are going on year 5 this Winter and I don’t think I’ll have an issue getting a few more out of them. To me, they seem slightly more durable than my previous mucks…and a little warmer as well.

For size, I went up exactly one size from my standard shoe size and they work well. I wear one pair of medium weight socks in them and bring a second pair incase my feet sweat too much.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I have some muck arctic size 14 that I like. They are not warm enough for extreme cold in a stand and they suck for walking up/down steep hills but otherwise I use them lots for hunting and ice fishing (and snow blowing). I will eventually compliment them with some Baffins for the stand.

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

I had ankle surgery last year with a swollen ankle and had the same problem, what worked good for me is I bought a boot jack make sure it’s a stronger one because I broke my first one. I then went ahead and used that for a pattern and made one out of wood so I have one in the house and one in the garage.

Jensen

I have the lacrosse alphaburly boots as well. Love them but they didn’t make it a year without cracking and sprung a leak. Of course warranty expired 3 days before cracking.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have the lacrosse alphaburly boots as well. Love them but they didn’t make it a year without cracking and sprung a leak. Of course warranty expired 3 days before cracking.

Mine have not done this. But my cabelas boots did after half a winter and cabelas would not warrant them. Even tho they were guaranteed for life. So I bought the alphas and then couldn’t pass on the scheels sale of the arctic pros last year for 99 bucks. Bought the woman and kid them as well

Jensen

I bought mine through Rogers and just got off the phone with them. Even though the warranty just expired they are going to replace them with another pair. One of the reasons I spend so much money through Rogers Sporting goods as they have the best customer service around bar none.

robby
    Quad Cities

Thanks all. I really appreciate your responses.

robby
    Quad Cities

I ordered a pair of Bogs Boots, similar to Muck Boots. A couple folks suggested this. We shall see…Ill let you know if they fit my cankles and after I have used a bit hunting, what I think. Stay tuned for the next episode of “they fit or not”, or “my feet are in heaven or I just wasted time and money again”.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.