Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

SATURDAY, JULY 31, 2021 AT 5 PM CDT
    Randy Stevens celebration of life/party/fishing Tournament
    The Bluffs Bar and Grill

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

“Please come join us at The Bluffs Bar and Grill to celebrate the life of River Rat Randy. We welcome all who would like to come and spend the evening sharing in the memories of RRR. There will be food provided from 5 to 7. Also enjoy a drink on us, the RRR special (E & J Brandy sprite).

Prior to the the evening event we will be having the RRR Memorial lets have fun walleye fishing tournament on pools 3 & 4 of the Mississippi River. Tourney starts at 7 then boats must be back at the Bluffs for weigh in by 3:30. Anyone that fishes the tourney is encouraged to come eat and drink with us afterwards. We will post more official rules for the Tournament in the very near future.

Please respond if you are coming so we can make sure there is enough food for everyone! Hope to see you there!!!”

~Robert Stevens

Sharon
    SE Metro

Thanks for sharing this BK! I plan to be there for the gathering at 5pm and look forward to trying a RRR Special.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

See you there Sharon. Remind me to tell you about the time RRR was walking out of the Trimbelle in shorts and no shoes. )

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

BK, I doubt I can make it over that far, but can you post an address just in case? Thanks!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

N1833 785th St, Hager City, WI 54014

Next to the Hi Way 63 gas station about a mile North of the Wi Back Channel launch.

LabDaddy1

Cool deal- hoping it goes well!

Timmy

I only talked to RRR in pm’s, but I miss him here, I hope his tourney is a success!!! I miss him here.

Green hornet

Looks to be the same day as the grumpy old men tournament out of wabasha…I hope I can get my entry fee back. Much rather pay tribute to 1 of my fishing idols..

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

N1833 785th St, Hager City, WI 54014

Next to the Hi Way 63 gas station about a mile North of the Wi Back Channel launch.

Thanks Brian!

bigpike

I would like to go to this but I have a prior engagement. God bless RiverRatRandy.

Hope it works out for you Reverend.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Just a friendly reminder.

The tourney and celebration of life is this Saturday.

Went by Root Beer yesterday, X’s and O’s and notice one boat missing fishing for panfish at Maiden Rock last week for my reminder.

If you’re fishing the tourney, don’t leave home in the morning without wrapping your stick baits in aluminum foil!!

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

B.K I will be there to just hang out for the memories if you need anything please feel free to contact me. Is there a auction?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I didn’t see anything from Rob, RRR’s son about an auction Scratch.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

Ok thank you sir!! If so I will donate a custom fishing pole!

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Any update on the fishing tournament rules?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Tournament will be held on pools 3 and 4. of the Mississippi River. There will be 2 designated boat landings. On pool 3 it will be the public landing at Diamond Bluff. Pool 4 will be the Wisconsin back channel ramp. Entry fee will be $100.00 per boat ( 2 person team) Big fish pot option will be $20.00. Money will be collected morning of tournament at your ramp location. Cash only! Please sign up by 10 pm Sunday 7/25/2021. Please remember to bring 5 dollar launch fee for both ramps.
    There will be 2 ways to enter.
    Enter you and your partners names and pool you will be launching in the discussion forum on this page.
    Enter by email you and your partners name and pool you will be using at [email protected]
    There will be 15 inch minimum on both walleye and sauger and only 2 fish over 20 inches per boat.
    4 FISH LIMIT!
    Local boat and fishing regulations apply.
    Please be courteous of both tournament and non tournament anglers!!
    All boats must return to The Bluffs Bar and Grill. by 3.30. We will start weigh in at 2:00.
    I know this is short notice and a little chopped up. If we continue to have this tourney in the future we will try to get it out sooner and make it more official. This is a 70% pay back tournament. proceeds will go to the River Rat Randy Outdoor Scholarship fund.
    Remember there will be a celebration of life party and food at the Bluffs after the event. Please stay and join us!
    See Less

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

See ya Saturday around 5 wave

Anyone have a boat count for the tourney? Bummed I won’t be able to fish it!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Good to see you again Jesse! I’ll buy you an EJ and Seven. )

Sharon
    SE Metro

Looked like a wonderful turn out for RRR’s celebration on Saturday. It was great being able to look through the pictures, news articles, and other memorabilia. I saw a lady taking pictures throughout the evening – if anyone gets a hold of photos please share them here!

Cheers to River Rat Randy! You are missed. toast

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

So many people I haven’t seen for so long of time. I didn’t get a chance to talk to everyone. But I talked to a lot.

Good seeing you again Steve. You’re better looking now then when I first met you 20 years ago!

Good meeting you as well POP. )

It was like Old Home Days…just couldn’t get Dean to scoop minnows!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

It was like Old Home Days…just couldn’t get Dean to scoop minnows!

LOL, and I didnt see you “restocking” either ! :]

Agreed, It was old home day for sure !

LabDaddy1

Sounds like it went well. Who orchestrated the event? Props to whoever it was! The camaraderie is one of the biggest benefits of this simple(?) pastime of ours.

I am curious about what ways RRR influenced this community, both on and off the water. I’m sure there’s plenty, but would love to hear some personal testimonies. There’s probably been posts about it already, so if I’m out of the loop, forgive me.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Robert (Robby) Stevens, RRR’s son was the main person.
    There were a host of others helping. I really wasn’t involved except for posting it here as he had many friends on IDO.

At one time RRR was in charge of after hours hospitality at the resort. Most nights in the summer he would be with other campers and folks vacationing talking about everything from the river to how, what and where to catch the willy walleye.

I don’t know how many photos he sent me of different kids he met and took them fishing. It was a lot.

I think @Redneck could add to this as we had a pretty good talk at his celebration.

All I can say is that it’s hard for me to imagine that his permanent smiling face won’t be seen around his old hang outs any longer.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I have always described RRR as a 15 year old trapped in a 70 something body.
    Enthusiasm, smiles, competitive in the fishing tournaments and mostly a dear friend that would do anything for most anyone in need. Fishing/ hunting was at his core and of course the center of the entertainment for many. RRR also was Gus our lab trainer and co owner. Those 2 are irreplaceable and have left a big hole.

LabDaddy1

Very cool stuff. I remember his posts always having lots of exclamation points and emoji’s, lol. So I figured he was a pretty enthusiastic character. We all gotta go sometime, but that fact doesn’t make it any easier when the time comes! Rock on, RRR peace

redneck
    Rosemount

I still find it hard to think about Randy without tearing up. Randy was everything that was good about the river. He truly enjoyed being on the river and he was the best fisherman I have ever met. The thing about Randy was he did not need the newest or fanciest equipment to put huge walleye in the boat. He understood them and their habits and their migration. Randy will live on as the knowledge he shared gets passed from generation to generation. Everyone that knew Randy learned something from him. The line I use on my 3 ways is from a tip Randy gave me. Same goes for my hooks. Sorry if this is long but the loss of my friend still hurts so bad. Some people leave a hole to big to fill and Randy was one of those people.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Randy was everything that was good about the river.

That’s it! Summed it up right there!!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.