Francois says Goodbye

• castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Upon hearing of my soon departure to the States, my friend Francois decided to make another trip to fish with me in Laos again. We went back to our Mahseer spot to see if we could break any more records or catch any new lifers.

This is a different time of year here now. The rainy season has begun causing the rivers to swell and turn to a red brown color. The time to plant rice is now and the views are magnificent. I never knew there were so many different shades of green.

We started in this lagoon I found last time that had crystal clear water last time but now was more dirty from the heavy rains. Last time I saw world record Eye Spot Barbs swimming in these waters but we were too late. I did end up catching a new lifer, White Lined Mystus though.

We then went to the Mahseer spot where Francois started out with a double Laotian Barb.

I then connected with another new lifer, (Thai?) Mahseer. I am still waiting on the ID confirmation But I do know that it is new for me and it is some sort of Mahseer specie. I caught about 5 or 6 of them.

I then finally caught the new lifer Bumblebee Catfish and I caught 3 of them. I just about wet my pants when I pulled the first one out. When you are a lifelist angler a new specie is almost as exciting as a big fish.

The main difference for me this time was I was using worms for bait as opposed to the paste bait on the coil feeder. I worked this hole under the bridge where a pulled up a few different species including the new lifer Beaufort’s Loach.

Others include the Zigzag Eel, Brown Puffer, and Spiny Barb.

There are other cool and unique sights here too.

Here Francois is sporting his commie garb to gain extra favor with local officials. A passionate angler does what it takes to find good fishing as the Great Francois displays here.

Anyway, no really big fish were caught but I’ll take 4 new lifelisters any day.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

That’s some great stuff Hope your return trip goes well and welcome back to the states

Your unique posts will be sorely missed along with the most incredible pics offered on this site. Props for sharing Dave
    Ever consider writing a book about your experiences?

So…….any totals on the new life listers?

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

All due respect and with a personal understanding of returning from the mission field… I’m sad to see you come home.

I’m gonna miss these posts, sir!

Congratz on the lifelisters!!!

Congrats on coming back home!!

Just… well… after being gone for so long, be prepared for the culture shock. It can be truly rough.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

With all due respect to your new lifelisters, those sites made this report fantastic. WOW, that is very beautiful.

Once again, Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am in awe of what you have been able to do and experience in your time there. What a fantastic way to experience a new culture, new lifelisters, and simply explore our world.

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

That’s some great stuff Hope your return trip goes well and welcome back to the states

Your unique posts will be sorely missed along with the most incredible pics offered on this site. Props for sharing Dave
    Ever consider writing a book about your experiences?

So…….any totals on the new life listers?

Yes, I do have the urge to write a book. I would like to write about “keeping a fishing lifelist” and “adventures in Asia” but I still would like a little more experience for the latter.

My list is at 155. Better than half of them are from Asia. You can view them at the following link:
    http://www.roughfish.com/component/option,com_joomgallery/func,viewcategory/catid,25/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.