It wouldn’t be long now(Fall Walleye Run)

• jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

With the cooler temps this week water temps are starting to go back down, still around 56 to 60 surface. Fish are still spread out so you will have to keep on a move. Marked lots of fish today and had lots of short hits. It time to put back on the stinger hooks and try it tomorrow. Vertical jigging has worked best for me and colors of jigs change every day. Lately the Zone-R nuckle ball jigs in the 3/8oz glow/green or black/flo red been the color. I been fishing any where I can fine hard bottom and close to deep water.

cbarten

hey jeff,
    happy to hear the fish are biting again. i’m going to try fort on friday i think. maybe i’ll see you out there. i’ll be in my 14 foot boat with a 25 merc in the back. well better load my gear hope to see you out there.-chris

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Hey Jeff,

Nice report and pics. Thanks for the tips. I have in mind two deep holes here on the lower Rock. Both are in the 20-30′ range, and are by far the deepest in the area. One has a rock rim around it at 10-12′, then sharp break up to a few feet. I’m thinking it has to be holding some walleyes!

Keep the great reports coming!!!

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Rooster it sounds like that would be the place to fish. This weekend was slow for me and my friends. They are starting to get some nice fish but not numbers yet. I can manage to get fish in the 15″ to 18″ right now. Big fish are hard to come by.

theleadsled
    Washington, Ia.

Is this the Rock River that dumps in to the Miss down by Davenport?

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Yes, Most of the post are for the Rock River east or west of Lake Koshkonong in WI. Jefferson and Rock Co. Rooster should be able to tell more about Davenport area.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Fished this morning from about 930am to 2 pm. Caught about 7-8 walleyes with two legal (15.5 and 16). I was using a 3/8 jig (blue glow) with stinger and large fatheads in the deepest portions of the holes by the mouth of Kosh. Some of the fish I caught were quite aggressive. Oh yeah I was also using a chartruese grub. Overall a good day on the water.

A couple of folks were fishing the brush for crappies and doing pretty well.

Bola, thanks for the insight and tips. I am sure I will see you again on the water. I usually hit the rock pretty hard in the spring and fall but this year I haven’t gotten out as much as I like. I alway enjoy talking fishing with people who can appreciate what the Rock has to offer.

Until next Saturday,

Diesel

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

In what depth are you finding fish Jeff? Any current at all? Structure? Wondering what knowledge you might be applying down on the Rock that I might be able to duplicate up here on the Chippewa. Anything will help!

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Good to meet you to Diesel, anytime I can help out a fellow angler it’s my pleasure. Wouldn’t be fishing much for the next week or so going after the 30 pointer. But I’m sure we will see each other on the water soon. I will be out Saturday morning until noon if weather permits maybe we will see you then.

Quote:

Fished this morning from about 930am to 2 pm. Caught about 7-8 walleyes with two legal (15.5 and 16). I was using a 3/8 jig (blue glow) with stinger and large fatheads in the deepest portions of the holes by the mouth of Kosh. Some of the fish I caught were quite aggressive. Oh yeah I was also using a chartruese grub. Overall a good day on the water.

A couple of folks were fishing the brush for crappies and doing pretty well.

Bola, thanks for the insight and tips. I am sure I will see you again on the water. I usually hit the rock pretty hard in the spring and fall but this year I haven’t gotten out as much as I like. I alway enjoy talking fishing with people who can appreciate what the Rock has to offer.

Until next Saturday,

Diesel

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Hey kid I was wondering how long it would take you to jump in on this thread. I have read lots of your posts on other threads and some are funny, some are helpful, and some are kinda of different, there’s nothing wrong with that it keeps us on our toes. Good to hear from you and I hope I can help you out. Most of my fish are caught in nine foot or less. Hard bottom has been key for the rock. When that don’t work I head for the wood. Most of the wood that’s been hot is in three to four foot. At times I have caught eyes in two feet of water. I lift my trolling motor up as far as I can without it making to much noise and vertical jig the wood. You could also stay back away and flip jigs in there also but you better have no snag jigs. When I’m having a slow bite I always go to the wood and that usally will produce some eyes. Most of the anglers I talk to are shocked that I use 3/8oz jigs with big shinners or two fatheads but that’s what works for me. You can’t beat that nuckle ball Zone-R jig for river fishing and the glow colors are hot. When I fish the wood and run into a limb it will pull right up and over it without getting snagged. I also like to fish rocks and sharp breaks. Most anglers on the rock will fish all the deep holes and thats fine at times. But deep hole some reason attract small fish on the rock most of the times. Good luck on Chippewa I’m sure it will fish different than the Rock River because the Rock is so shallow. But I thought I would tell you what I do any way because I know lots of the anglers that have been following this thread have been waiting for me to spill my guts. . I haven’t been posting much because there really isn’t much to post on. fishing has been slow and I have been getting ready to arrow a 30 pointer. I have a few more fishing trips planned on the Rock and that’s about it. I need to get some venison in the frig. Take care kid and I’m glad to see you post on this thread .

Quote:

In what depth are you finding fish Jeff? Any current at all? Structure? Wondering what knowledge you might be applying down on the Rock that I might be able to duplicate up here on the Chippewa. Anything will help!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I didn’t know I was putting the lever to gut spilling but this is GREAT information and will definitely help me get started! The Chippewa is very shallow in the area I’m questioning. The deepest water found was 11′ and 2′ or less can be found long before the confluence with the Flambeau. A shallow running boat is definitely a plus! Maybe one of those RiverPro Boats is in my future?

Have you noticed temperature to be critical and at what range have you found the fish to be most productive? Walleye and Smallie insights are both welcome!

Thanks for welcoming me on the thread! I’ll try not to “make you dance” too much while I’m here! I’m just thankful I had somewhere to turn where useful info can be found and the bonus in finding it from someone experienced, knowledgeable, willing to “cough it up”, and make ya feel like you have a friend all the while! You’re a credit to our environment here Jeff and it’s a pleasure sharing the board with you!

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Kid your really putting the squeeze on me man, did James put you up to this? just kidding. Water temp is real critical here on the rock and I’m sure it’s the same all over. I have notice when the temp don’t stay constant the fishing slows. When the temp stay the same for a few weeks fishing seems to be better. The key temps for fall fishing on the rock is around 42 to 45 when I have notice to catch quality fish. When it hangs in that 50 range I seem to get small fish. That’s what has been happening lately here on the rock and I been get 14″ to 16″ walleyes. On that note I don’t like to post about little fish. I like to post on big fish to keep up with those guys on the miss. That’s hard to do with abody of water that is so much smaller but for a while I was giving them a run. My lucky depth this year is been fishing in 6′ to 9′. As far as smallies I don’t fish them in the river systems. I take a week trip ever year and head to Eagle River to fish smallie for a whole week and it’s a blast. Once in a while I’ll get the fever for some smallie fish then I head to Madison to fish the awesome fishery at Lake Mendota. Kid you seem like a great guy and I hope some day I meet you and James and the gang. Thanks for the kind words and don’t be a stranger.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Near as I can tell, the conditions were right………..I just need to do my homework and find the areas that hold fish. Wood, structure, deep hole, flat near a break, and the like……………Can’t get an “A” without some research and study!

Nah…………James hasn’t put me up to anything! Really! However, the “great guy” thing…………there are those among us who have fished with me before…………..and would likely claim there’s often a bit of mischief coursing through the veins ……………but I’ve never been thrown overboard and if that qualifies as a “good guy”, so be it. But otherwise, it’s closer to that “staying on your toes” comment made earlier!

Good fun and good fishin’ Jeff! Hopefully we will meet up in the near future and I can “put the squeeze on” in person. Thanks again for the great information! I may be out of time for this year but you’ve given me a great insight for what I need to determine if I plan on having any results to post!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.