December Fish Reports and Pics

• prodrive-al
    Elkhorn, WI

After a quick call on my way home yesterday morning after work to fellow IDO’er, We-Fish, about what the boat launch conditions in Fort looked like, I was disappointed to hear the everything was iced up…. 15 minutes later my phone rings and get update that the downtown launch just broke loose . So get the boat hooked up and got to the river about 10:30, found the launch ice free but upstream still had quite a bit of ice, but nothing my boat won’t go through… Had a couple 100 yard long stretches of ice to bust through to get up to the Bark, was fishing by 11a. Made quite a few drifts with only one bite all day, a 15.5″ sauger. Had to pack it up by 2p. So a pretty slow day but was nice being the only guy out fishing, weather was nice, and didn’t get skunked
    And a big double to We-Fish for the phone call We’ll have to get together this winter on the ice.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Thanks for busting up the ice. Hopefully, with this rain and warm temps, might be fishable for a few more days. Might head out tomorrow, if lake MI is a no-go.

prodrive-al
    Elkhorn, WI

I managed to get out again yesterday, from 10a to 2p. Launched downtown again, surprised to be only trailer in the lot, almost 100% ice free downtown now. Ran up to the Bark in the fog, couldn’t see more than 30yards on the river. Made a few drifts and picked up a nice whitebass and 4 or 5 saugers 14″ to 17″, kept a 15″ and 16″er and the whitebass. Had another boat come out and he ran up to the 106 bridge, well that broke up all the shore ice upstream and then fought icebergs the rest of the day…. Lost a nice, low 20″ sauger in the flo-ice too. All fish caught on plastic, most on a white moxie but a couple on a chartruse ringworm. Prolly last trip on the river with the boat this year…. See ya all on the ice.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

That is awesome u got out fishing. My plan was 2 do the same this month. Things didn’t work out the way I wanted and I got caught with my pant’s down. Now I sit here with my boat not winterized.

Thank god I did my live wells in time

But u never know with the WI weather I still might have a chance to get out fishing because I’m ready baby!

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Boats should be sleeping until march!!

prodrive-al
    Elkhorn, WI

Oh no….. I’ve had my boat out in every month of the year, all I need is enough open water to get it off the trailer. Don’t get me wrong I love ice fishing, but there’s something really enjoyable about open water fishing in January or February, and it’s a lot of fun busting up ice with my boat too… That being said, I’ll be on the ice somewhere local this weekend, was out on Mirror lake last Friday and I’m ready for some icefishing..

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Me too – rain this week pissed me off, I want ice if I can’t get on the river. Looks like it should be solid by the 14th. If you ever want company keep us posted. If I’m not hunting I’ll be fishing – no sense sitting around watching football though I’m tempted to go to the UW-Whitewater game tomorrow.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

I ended up working again on the 4th instead of fishing. Gotta get my priorities straight. Sounds like you had a good day on the water, PD Al.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Quote:

If you ever want company keep us posted.

Ditto….hoping to get out a couple of times this year if the ice will hold me and Thanksgiving

Maybe a bunch of us old farts can get out for an outing again like a couple years ago?

Derek

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe a bunch of us old farts can get out for an outing again like a couple years ago?

Derek

that’s a great idea….I vote for Eric to coordinate the outing. Anyone else?

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Got out on first farm pond ice Saturday afternoon. Bite was slow but at quitting time my pan fish jig hit bottom and I pulled out 5 1/2 pound channel cat. 2 lb. test line held out for a photo op. It might be time to check ice on Lake Ripley in Cambridge Sunday afternoon if I don’t go try to put a slug through a doe. That’s my first ever ice cat, my brother has it on the smoker today.

Blain Masterson
    Illinois

Took my boat off the dock about 3 weeks ago sad day indeed, still active with the ice fishing and what not though.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Finally after a busy Dec I had time to make it out fishing. Santa with a little R&R, well deserved!

z-man
    Dousman, WI

Hey, I know that spot!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.