Lake Shady Seeding

• Chris
    Rochester, MN

I’m not always up on the times so to me this is news: The Oronoco dam will not be repaired. So Lake Shady will forever be a stream… not that it was much more than that before. I wonder how that affects the value of lakeshore property?

Here’s a link to a story about the first phase of making something out of the lake bed.

Chris

jakefroyum

Its too bad that they just seeded it with crap. There are way better plants that should have gone in there. They should have done native prairie and wetland species and just used a cover crop of wheat or oats. They could have done it in the spring after snowmelt and flooding. It would have cost more for the seed but in my opinion would have been the right thing to do.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Its too bad that they just seeded it with crap. There are way better plants that should have gone in there. They should have done native prairie and wetland species and just used a cover crop of wheat or oats. They could have done it in the spring after snowmelt and flooding. It would have cost more for the seed but in my opinion would have been the right thing to do.

I am going to have to agree here. The state of Iowa paid us to put our farm back into native prairie grasses. Like you said. Expensive. But it really looks cool and highly functional for animals.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

It would of been nice if they would have dregged it so that the silt could settle there instead of it ending up in Lake Zumbro which just continues to silt in the lake. Thanks, Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.