Waxie Question?

• davebmork
    Hayfield Mn

Is there a trick for keeping waxies from turning black and keeping them good and lively.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

There is always going to be some die off. Keep in a cool spot of the house. When buying in baulk make sure to go through and pick out the dead ones once a week to keep the whole tub from dieing off.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Waxies want a dry environment, so when I buy bulk container[by far the most economical way to go] I punch a few holes in the container top with a pencil so they can really breathe.

I have a cold closet. It doesn’t freeze, but I’d hate to camp in it. I keep my waxies in there. Every 4 days I go thru the entire container and remove any that look tough.

I also have one of the large bait pucks which always has waxies in it. That goes in the closet too, but the top is just set on top, not screwed down.

During the warm months, any waxies I have go in the fridge….one of the drawered compartments. They get the same go-thru then too.

hof
    Rochester, MN

Waxies best temperature is 55 degrees. Keep them as close to that temp as possible. Remove dead ones and keep them dry – that is why they come in saw dust.
    A waxie is a bee moth larva that is going through a normal life cycle. It will either die, or cocoon and change into a moth.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

starkj25

i always just keep my waxies in the fridge. I have had pretty good luck doing this. i take out the dead ones, but for the most part they all to pretty good. They all go dormant(sp?) but once u bring em out for 10 min they are all crawling around.

gonefishing
    Lacrosse Wi

I had some once that turned into moths I opened the can and some flew out. At the time I didn’t know they’d do that so it was a shock and funny at the same time. I quit putting mine in the fridge I just set them on a shelf where it’s a little cooler and keep going through for the dead ones. I read where 56 degrees was their ideal temp.

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

MMMPH EBLT…PUTTOOIE…An old Icefisherman told me to keep them warm in your mouth while fishing and hide them in the fridge so the wife don’t find em when you have to work. And never keep them in those extra tobacco cans in the glovebox, you might mix em up with your good chew or forget about them till WARM weather and then wonder why your truck stinks.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I keep mine in the fridge too but it seems to be too cold for them I think. But all my kids are grown up so the only time the door gets opened, which lets some cold sneak out, is when I’m home. With the colder temps I’m finding that my laundry room down stairs which has a cold concrete outter wall thats not finished off and if set against that wall should keep them alive in the winter time I would think. But for the most part they are in the fridge. As others mentioned be sure and pick out the bad ones and get rid of them.
    Thanks, Bill

ron_weltzin
    Rochester, MN

During the ice fishing season, I like to buy waxies by the tub. I simply set them on the basement floor by the work bench, not the family area which is insulated. Every third day or so, I go through them and pick out the dead ones.
    Another trick, I have posted in the past. I like to treat my waxies. No I don’t mean take them to McDonalds, then the movies. Rather, I like to get some Doctor Juice liquid panfish attracion. Tom is right, punch some big holes in the lid so they can breath and moisture can escape.
    I will take the liquid attraction and squirt about 10 to 15 drops on top. Then I turn the container upside down because the waxies will settle at the bottom. Now they are on top with the juice and will work their way down. While doing this, the juice rubs off on them and laying in this enviroment, they absorb the smell into their system. NO it will not kill them, providing you use only a dozen drops in all the saw dust. The intention here is not to drown them, only flavor them. Every other day, turn the container over so they crawl through. Place a paper towel under it to accomodate the large holes you punched.
    If you squirt this juice directly on them, then dunk em, it will wash off in short order.
    If you treat them for a few days, the smell stays with them because they have absorbed it under the skin.
    We have compared treated waxies with untreated, and treated waxworms will out product.
    CT gets his juice from the drug store. He gets Cod Liver oil. Just as good.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

All right Ronald….enough with the secret potion. lol

Seriously, this is what I use when I am needing to smell up any kind of bait. I buy this in 4 ounce bottles for about 5 clams. When I get home I fill a cleaned Visine bottle with the spot drilled out with a 1/16″ drill bit.

The trick to using this oil is to put it on a DRY surface. A waxie is dry by naure from the box. After they have been dunked the oils will not stick to them. Minnows already smell like fish so generally I don’t think it is needed in that application, but put it on plastic when a bite is tough and you’ll get the eyes opened.

Cheap, smells like fish like no other potable, all natural and biodegradeable….and if you are a tad bit bound up, take a swig and things will slide like lightning. Bottom line…..it works on all fronts.

hof
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

All right Ronald….enough with the secret potion. lol

Cheap, smells like fish like no other potable, all natural and biodegradeable….and if you are a tad bit bound up, take a swig and things will slide like lightning. Bottom line…..it works on all fronts.

Dr. CT! Is it covered by Medicare?

Pikester

Hey Mike, what are your hours for this weekend and the holidays? Thanks

hof
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Hey Mike, what are your hours for this weekend and the holidays? Thanks

Friday: 7 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
    Saturday: 6 a.m. – 4 p.m.
    Sunday: 7 a.m. – noon
    Christmas Day: closed
    Tuesday: 7 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.