Ice Conditions??????????

• davebmork
    Hayfield Mn

Anyone know about the current ice conditions in Rochester area.

hof
    Rochester, MN

We had a good solid 4-6 inches on most areas before the rain. There is still a solid 4-6 inches with some water on the ice, but some shoreline ice has probably gotten thin. Use caution – use an ice spud to check the ice ahead of where you will be walking. I was out on the backwaters yesterday and found good ice at the 2 locations I went. With the night time temps back below freezing, conditions should continue to improve.

Good Fishing,
    Mike

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I LOVE fishing open water and decent weather BUT when it got real cold there for a bit and no snow in the forcast I was tickled pink so to speak. Here was our chance for getting some good thick hard safe ice before it snows so we could have a good ice fishing season. With the temps at night below freezing and the daytime temps closer to freezing coming this weekend we should be able to keep most of the ice we had and start making some more ice. Even with the higher temps during the day right now we still have the lows below freezing. Ice fishing is here, lets keep it here please mother nature [ ] and have a GREAT ice fishing season.

Thanks, Bill

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The last couple days may have been warmer than we wanted and drippy, but the sun didn’t get a chance to work the ice. That helps. Today now, the sun is high in the sky and it has enough energy yet to really mess with the ice, especially with the already warmer than normal air temps.

I’d like to see the over-night lows go below the twenty degree mark each night. We’d make at least enough ice that way to cover the daily loss to the heat.

Having a little green showing in the lawn yet doesn’t bother me in the least. And I, for one, certainly have no desire for white-even for Christmas. This being in limbo, though, really stinks when it comes to not having either safe ice or open water. I can adapt to either one. I have a real tough time adapting to standing on shore and not being able to adapt to one or the other. lol [ we don’t ask for much do we, as fishermen?]

hof
    Rochester, MN

I went to the backwaters again today. The ice looks much better today than yesterday. All the water that was on top is gone. Still 6 inches of good solid ice there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.